anyone else log their food before they eat it?

Options
I've been trying to log most of what I eat before I eat it. I eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day, so it is easy for me to log it the night before. As soon as I have my dinner planned I log that as well. With whatever calories I have left I can determine when and what I will eat for a snack. This has really helped me with portion control and stress-eating. I've only been at this for a few weeks but it has been really easy so far. Does anyone else log this way? When do you log what you eat?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch while I'm making breakfast, so I often log my lunch calories when I log my breakfast calories since all the ingredients and quantities are still fresh in my mind.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I will on my rest day every week because I have a super hard time staying in the 1200-1300 range when I don't have exercise calories to eat!
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I will on my rest day every week because I have a super hard time staying in the 1200-1300 range when I don't have exercise calories to eat!
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    This is my number one rule.

I found out the hard way my first week on MFP.

Yes this is the best as you can plan and then eat accordingly.

Then I feel great after dinner as I know I am at goal each night
  • haterhaze
    haterhaze Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I log my meals and snacks the night before and try to pretty much stick with it. But I'm not afraid of making changes to accommodate what might happen in the day. Doing this has really helped me keep on track and have more balanced meals.
  • kittyblackstar
    kittyblackstar Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I log that way too that way I know whether I need to modify anything or not. If I ate before I logged I'd probably go over my calorie count by a lot!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yup. I do it all the time. Usually dinner is up in the air, so I log breakfast, AM snack, and lunch.
  • cmboze
    Options
    I always try to log before I eat then i know if I am at work or somewhere how many extra calories I might have if I want to snack. It is impossible for me to do this every day but I find it is helpful and my family loves it when we plan a menu for the week for dinner because they know what to expect! I have done this for about 3 weeks or so and have lost 4 pounds!
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I also have a hard time on rest days- eating back my exercise calories has been a major motivation for me to workout! (that and getting an hour to myself without the kids... ok actually I think the hour to myself might be the biggest motivation!) :)
  • picinina
    Options
    Always, it's like a morning ritual for me. I like to be organised with what I fuel my body up with.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Alllll the time. And if I don't know what we are having for dinner I usually allot about 400-500 cals
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Whoops
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    look at my diary for tomorrow. it's all logged in right now. i know what i'm gonna have for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. the best way to stay focus and under calories. also, i have some room to play with with my calories too.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I make a week's worth of meal plans, go shopping according to those lists, and then eat only what's on the lists. So basically, I log a whole week's worth of food a week before I eat those meals.

If I logged after I ate, I would overeat, eat the wrong ratio of macros...and basically just be guessing all day long. I have very specific goals, and that just wouldn't do at all.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I log everything first thing in the morning and make adjustments if the day throws me a curve ball.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Yup. I do it all the time. Usually dinner is up in the air, so I log breakfast, AM snack, and lunch.

Me too. It really helps me keep track and make better choices. Although sometimes I eat my exercise calories BEFORE I've exercised. ---ooops.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I log in the morning. Breakfast and snacks are usually the same every day, I pack my lunch for work, so that's taken care of. Usually we have dinner planned out, so I have a pretty good idea what's in store there. Then I just eat what I logged. It keeps me on track and usually just under goal.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Yup.... me too. I generally make my lunch to take to work the next day and go ahead and log it then. You can always change it if you decide to eat something else..... or add to it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I do this every day. Meals go in first (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and if I don't know what's for dinner I will add in some quick calorie as a "placeholder". Then I can see how many cals are left for snacks and I pack/organise those for work.
    This way I come out pretty close to my calories every day.
    It doesn't mean that I don't change my mind but if I decide to have a piece of birthday cake or a milky coffee in the morning (like today) then I just adjust my snacks or meals accordingly.
    It's not really hard for me to do because I plan my meals the night before, even if I'm not counting calories.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yup, I often log hours ahead of time. I always have the same breakfast, so I saved that as a meal I can add with one click. Lunch and dinner I usually rotate. I like logging everything in, so I know how many/which snacks I can incorporate throughout the day.