Question about sugar content

Options
I have been logging my daily food consumption into MFP. I notice that I almost always go too high on the sugar. However, I do eat 2 to 3 fruit servings daily. Also, I often eat lowfat plain yogurt with no added sugar. However, these foods are making me go way above what I'm supposedly supposed to have for sugar content. I am hardpressed to give up my fruit blueberries, canaloupe, etc. because they are so healthy and full of vitamins. They are always fresh or frozen, with no added sugar, so the sugar being added is "healthy" sugars, from lowfat milk and fruits.
Occasionally I'll have a Fiber1 brownie, which actually often has less sugar than a fruit serving.
If I am staying at my calorie count every day, then should this sugar content keep me from losing weight? Like I said, I've been going over about every day.

Replies

• demure_poetic
    Options
    interested in an answer on this too!
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just for a bit more info if you're interested in exactly how it all works.

Its down to differences in how they're processed.

You have Sucrose (Normal sugar) & Fructose (Found in fruit).

Sucrose is a 50-50 combination of Glucose & Fructose. Glucose is what our bodies run on, your brain, muscles etc everything is converted into that in the end. The problem is, Glucose is absorbed very quickly into the blood stream. When the level of glucose in our blood stream rises to quickly our bodies reaction is for our pancreas to release a hormone called insulin & mop it all up where it will then store it in our muscles and Liver for energy to use later.

When our blood sugar level rises to quickly though, our body overeacts. It sends out to much insulin & mops up to much sugar from our blood. To little sugar in the blood = hunger very quickly.

So the problem with Normal sugar is simply the fact that it makes people to hungry. People dont feel satisfied after they eat it...so they eat more..and more..= to many calories & their bodies dont really need the energy. Its just overeacting because of getting to much at one time.

Fructose however is different. Because our bodies do not run on Fructose, it has to be converted into Glucose in the liver before we can use it. That way the speed its released into the blood stream (If its needed) is much more controlled...the pancreas wont overeact...it wont release to much insulin & you wont get hungry straight away.
  • oregon_nicole
    oregon_nicole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks, that is very helpful. I guess since most of my sugars are coming from fructose, I won't worry about going over on MFP.
    Love this site!