Even MORE controversial question.

Options
brittanyjeanxo
brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
Yep, I'm posting another one, just because everyone was pretty good at keeping things well-mannered and civil rather than getting all defensive. So, here's another debate for everyone to discuss their POV, and this one is pretty controversial...gun control.

In my biased opinion as a proud gun owner, I say that (some) of the regulations that are in place now should be lifted. For instance in my state (Connecticut) there's an assault weapons ban in place that I find absolutely ridiculous. If you want to own a rifle, it can only have one of the following 5 folding/collapsing stock, pistol grip, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, and grenade launcher. Apparently, if you have more than one, that automatically makes it an assault rifle. There are plenty of other bans and regulations that I find absolutely ridiculous as well, and I think regulating them even more is absurd. It is highly unlikely that anyone that is going to shoot someone owns that gun legally. And in Illinois, for those of you that don't know, the only people allowed to carry a gun are police officers or retired police officers, which is extremely unconstitutional (the right of the people to KEEP AND BEAR ARMS shall NOT be infringed.)

I could go on and on, but I won't for the sake of reading. What are your opinions? Again, please keep it civil so this doesn't get deleted.

Replies

• LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hold on...You mean I can LEGALLY have a grenade launcher on my rifle as long as I don't have anything else???

Where do I buy one of those from???
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    That's one thing I like about Texas - GUNS for EVERYONE!!! I need to get myself into a concealed weapons course before those get taken away.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I don't know about regulation or how highly regulated they should be.
    I hate guns, and I hate a lot of things that happen when they get into the wrong hands. So I don't know enough to get into a long debate.

I was going to say they should have some kind of psychiatric testing, to keep crazies from getting them.

But a you said, thse people were probably going to obtain them somehow anyway.

:(
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Hold on...You mean I can LEGALLY have a grenade launcher on my rifle as long as I don't have anything else???

You sure can. 200 dollar transfer tax, but yes
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas~ everyone is packing!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I hate guns, and I hate a lot of things that happen when they get into the wrong hands. So I don't know enough to get into a long debate.

I was going to say they should have some kind of psychiatric testing, to keep crazies from getting them.

You are one of the very few people that admits you don't know enough to debate it. Kudos to you! If you don't mind, can I ask why you hate guns? You can message me if you'd prefer. I used to "hate" them myself, but it was mostly because I was uneducated (not saying that's your case, though.)
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

You sure can. 200 dollar transfer tax, but yes

Totally moving to Connecticut :)

Seriously, everyone should have the right to have guns....given the fact that they have no violent criminal past and aren't crazy.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have never touched a gun or seen a handgun that was not in the holster of a cop. I know nothing of guns.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Good to see you acknowledge needing more information. Sad that Hate guns. Ever fire one? Ever had the proper training on them? Ever been in a situation where you felt Overly threatened? I say take a safety course, get to know how to use, handl and care for them. Then make that decision. If you dont have the knowledge to debate it, i would say you dont to say you hate them.

just sayin'
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    I have never touched a gun or seen a handgun that was not in the holster of a cop. I know nothing of guns.

I saw you were the last post and I got afraid it was going to be something sarcastic :P anyway, if you have any questions about them don't hesitate to message me. :)

Totally moving to Connecticut :)

Seriously, everyone should have the right to have guns....given the fact that they have no violent criminal past and aren't crazy.

We actually have two with grenade launchers on them. Now getting actual grenades...totally different story! lol. And I wholeheartedly agree!
  • Iamfit4life
    Options

You are one of the very few people that admits you don't know enough to debate it. Kudos to you! If you don't mind, can I ask why you hate guns? You can message me if you'd prefer. I used to "hate" them myself, but it was mostly because I was uneducated (not saying that's your case, though.)
    Perhaps hate is a strong word. But I do hate when irresponsible owners/parents leave them where children can get to them and children are killed or wounded badly.
    I hate how somebody with whacked out personal beliefs will go onto a school campus and kill lord knows how many....

I do love the idea that people can charge and protect themselves, but it scares the crap out of me.
    My significant other wants to buy me one, since he is not here with me right now. And I agreed that he can, and I'll take classes and educate myself.
    But again...they just scare me.

I'm an old hippie. ll
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

Good to see you acknowledge needing more information. Sad that Hate guns. Ever fire one? Ever had the proper training on them? Ever been in a situation where you felt Overly threatened? I say take a safety course, get to know how to use, handl and care for them. Then make that decision. If you dont have the knowledge to debate it, i would say you dont to say you hate them.

just sayin'

She could know she hates them, you never know. She might have been in a situation that makes her feel very uneasy or unsafe around guns, but I see your point.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I really need an assault riffle. no joke. I am starting a militia. It has been far to long for a rebellion.

I need, riffles, grenades, grenade launcher and possibly flame throwers.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.
    The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is
    wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts
    they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions,
    it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ...
    And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not
    warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of
    resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as
    to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost
    in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
    time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    It is its natural manure." - Thomas Jefferson
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

Perhaps hate is a strong word. But I do hate when irresponsible owners/parents leave them where children can get to them and children are killed or wounded badly.
    I hate how somebody with whacked out personal beliefs will go onto a school campus and kill lord knows how many....

I do love the idea that people can charge and protect themselves, but it scares the crap out of me.
    My significant other wants to buy me one, since he is not here with me right now. And I agreed that he can, and I'll take classes and educate myself.

I'm an old hippie. ll

I don't think leaving them where children can get to them is irresponsible. I think that leaving them where an uneducated child can get to them is irresponsible, but that's a whole other matter :laugh: I used to feel the same way about them, but handling them and learning more about them and how they work put me at ease, and I love them now. :) Good on you for being willing to become more educated!
  • Iamfit4life
    Options

I'm an old hippie. ll

I don't think leaving them where children can get to them is irresponsible. I think that leaving them where an uneducated child can get to them is irresponsible, but that's a whole other matter :laugh: I used to feel the same way about them, but handling them and learning more about them and how they work put me at ease, and I love them now. :) Good on you for being willing to become more educated!

10 years ago I would have told him no way. But I don't trust people these days, and until he gets here it's just me and the kids.
    My apartments aren't great, there have been attacks.

Life is about learning. This can be something else I learn.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

I'm an old hippie. ll

10 years ago I would have told him no way. But I don't trust people these days, and until he gets here it's just me and the kids.
    My apartments aren't great, there have been attacks.

Life is about learning. This can be something else I learn.

Then pepper spray is a great option until you're comfortable enough for a gun! Definitely try to stay safe any way you can.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It's very different here in Australia, but - I've been on the other end of a gun in a street shooting and it was absolutely terrifying. I have fired a rifle when rabbit shooting (when it was legal for me to do so), but not once during the street shooting did it occur to me to wish that I had a gun of my own. All I cared about was getting to my son's school and getting it locked down for safety. I had images of Columbine flashing through my mind until the kids were safe and the police were on site.

Per capita, I don't know whether Australia has more or less gun related accidents, incidents or crimes than America or any other country, but I am glad that gun ownership is so restricted here. It makes me feel safer.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    And in Illinois, for those of you that don't know, the only people allowed to carry a gun are police officers or retired police officers, which is extremely unconstitutional (the right of the people to KEEP AND BEAR ARMS shall NOT be infringed.)

Because of Chicago, Illinois will probably never have more conservative gun laws. I live in the southern part of the state where the general population's political views are about as far as one could get from Chicago, but we all have to play by the same rules.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

I saw you were the last post and I got afraid it was going to be something sarcastic :P

That hurts...
This discussion has been closed.