Need any & all tips at making morning workouts doable

Options
I hate working out in the morning and can't manage to get up most times or feel so horrible that I can barely eek out a worthwhile workout.

I was able to workout at night for the past year, but now with 2 kids in school, I am just finishing their stuff by 9:00 (let alone my own stuff).

This only leaves mornings.

Any tips b/c I truly am exhausted and feel like crap for morning workouts.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead as much as you can - for meals/lunches and other stuff. Is there anything you can prepare on the weekend (food or school activity stuff) to free up a bit of time during the week.
    Once you've done that - get to bed as soon as you can.
    Have your clothes (undies, socks, shoes everything) ready before you go to bed so that as soon as you get up in the morning, get dressed in your workout gear then you are ready to roll. I find that if I do this I'm dressed and ready to work out before I'm even completely awake so it seems that I may as well workout!

PS. if it's hard getting everything organised you might like to have a look at flylady.net. She isn't everyone's cup of tea but she focuses on getting little routines ready everyday so you can keep up with all those regular jobs and it can make life much smoother during the week.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I hate working out in the morning and can't manage to get up most times or feel so horrible that I can barely eek out a worthwhile workout.

I was able to workout at night for the past year, but now with 2 kids in school, I am just finishing their stuff by 9:00 (let alone my own stuff).

This only leaves mornings.

Any tips b/c I truly am exhausted and feel like crap for morning workouts.

what are you mornings like? do you work? do they get picked up at home or do you drop them off at school?? when they're gone, head to the gym, or go for a run. i love working out in the morning, but only after i've been awake for about two hours.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I work ful-time. My kids catch the bus at 8:15, so it's not like I would have to get up that early. I could probably get up at 6:00 and at least get a 45 minute workout in.

But, I'd have to roll out of bed and start.

I am sleeping in my workout clothes tonight, lol.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Lay out your clothes the night before including packing your gym bag if you have to get ready at the gym to go to work. Pack something to eat to take with you for breakfast. If you prepare the night before then getting up the next morning isnt as hard as it normally is
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I am sleeping in my workout clothes tonight, lol.

Perfect :smile:
    The shoes might be a bit uncomfortable though.
  • zee710
    Options
    Hi! I can understand.... I had the same issue, didn't want to get out of bed! It's all about creating it a Routine! Once, you workout and feel energized, you will be able to accomplish the rest of your day smoothly and not have to worry about getting your workout done!

Believe it pays off.... I've lost 25lbs. my day begins at 5:30am workout till 7. take care of my kids breakfast.. clean my kitchen, go to school online till 12p, then run errands and house chores...

Yes, there are days that you don't want to get up! and its ok... take a day off! Just don't slack off!

I hope this helped!

Have an Awesome Workout!
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I really, REALLY need to just do this. I agree about the routine aspect.

Also, I have workout stuff at home, so its not even like I have to go anywhere. I just need to get to the basement.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am like that too - I hate getting up in the morning to work out but I don't like doing it after work either because it's so late when I get done doing everything. Most of the times I just try to force myself out of bed when I hear the alarm and get started with it. I am always glad that I did! I agree with the suggestions that others have on here about setting clothes out the night before,etc. That has helped me a lot :)
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I lay out my gear the night before and have everything ready to just walk out that door and go - water bottle, hat to cover night hair(!), housekey on lanyard, iPod with music and timer set, HRM. Fortunately I am naturally a morning person so it's a bit easier for me than for night owls, but even my night owl husband has started joining me, so maybe it's routine.

BTW - I feel better, work better on the days that I workout in the morning.