exercise: cant seem to get my butt started!

Options
Hey all....I have NEVER been an exerciser....obviously...or I wouldnt be so overweight! Im not a little girl...224 lbs...and I know I need to incorporate exercise if Im going to make this work. Plus...I want the energy that exercise will give me.

Heres my problem. I have NOOOOOOO energy at all. I work as a nurse...Im on the feet all damn day and when I get home, Im spent. How in the world am I going to get the energy to start the habit of exercise? Im tired and I hate exercise.

Please....give me some ideas to get me off my butt!

thanks.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, that's hard. Bear in mind that if you are moving all day, just changing your eating habits should have you losing weight.
    Make sure you have your activity settings high enough so that you are eating enough calories to give you energy to get through the day.

And how about finding something fun to try on your days off - cycling, roller skating, dancing, hula hooping, walking somewhere fun..... ??
    Exercise doesn't have to mean a workout DVD or a trip to the gym.

And maybe look out some quick workouts that you can fit in before work, this might even give you more energy for your day. I have a 10 min cardio workout app on my iPhone that I will do if I'm too busy to fit in a full run or other workout.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I agree..you are already moving..so change the eating habits...I eat almonds to give me bursts of energy...
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I can’t see your diary so I it’s hard to say why you don’t have any energy. (don’t look at mine today, I’m taking the day off, lol) Eat more proteins throughout the day & maybe steel cut oats with fruit for breakfast. You should start off walking, it’s doesn’t really take much effort, just a little time. Make it s scenic walk so you can enjoy yourself. You got this girl!!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I do all my exercise before work, too many excuses happen after work. Agree that you had better make sure you are eating enough to maintain your energy levels during the day. Honestly I feel more energised and able to do more things when I have exercised in the morning.

GG
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I would suggest making a promise to yourself that you are going to go out and walk for 5 minutes, that's it just 5 minutes. If you like it, you may go a little longer, but if not, no harm no foul because you only said you were going for 5 minutes. Just start really small.As you go along, you will find that you are starting to enjoy it and will not mind going a bit further each time. I think its key to find something that you enjoy doing that doesn't feel like such a chore. If its a chore, you may just quit. Sometimes I wear my iPod, sometimes I just enjoy the sites and sounds.

i enjoy logging the exercise on mfp, it lets me see how far I've come, and seeing it in a report makes me want to do better

Good luck on your journey!!
  • jerridavis2
    Options
    I do my walking/running in the morning. Also... high protein, low carbs throughout the day. That's the key! You may want to try a multi-vitamin and a B-12 supplement. I take 1000mg of B-12 daily. I couldn't do my life without it! :)

You're going to do great!
  • bdreilly
    Options
    I worked in a hospital for 8 years, mostly shift work. I found that walking during my breaks (outside) was great because it got me out of that damn hospital and it felt great to feel like I didn't live there for 13 straight hours! Even if it is only 10 minutes. Start small and work your way up.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    All good ideas, also take a friend with you :) its always easier to go if you have someone to talk to, no matter what you're doing :)
  • nursee67
    Options
    Although most people think that we nurses should be stick thin skinny since we run around all day...it is not true. Our body is used to that, we need to step it up. I go for a speed walk at work, when time allows. Stairs are another good thing to do in a hurry. You could run up and down for a few minutes.I prefer walking to running, although I am trying the running thing again.
    Just get out there and move...make better food choices...and you are well on your way!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    For me the hardest part was getting up and out. And in my head it wasn't worth all the energy of getting dressed and getting to the gym and shower for the little I could do.

So I switched up my thinking. I told myself "I am going to the gym for 10 minutes... that's it that's all!" I'd get to the gym and once I was there it wasn't so bad. I'd do 20 minutes... bit by bit I've upped the length of my work out and couldn't fit it in my lunch hour anymore (the gym is 1/2 block away). So now I'm inching up the intensity of my work out....

Small and consistent change... baby steps.

start small.... take the stairs, park far away. walk around the block before you leave work, take the patients at the far end of the hall... little things really do add up.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What has worked best for me in the past was to exercise in the morning before I could make excuses. Get up and get to it! I would have my workout clothes and sneakers and water laid out, put them on, and get on the treadmill before my brain woke up and tried to talk me out of it.
  • kajones2009
    kajones2009 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, that's hard. Bear in mind that if you are moving all day, just changing your eating habits should have you losing weight.
    Make sure you have your activity settings high enough so that you are eating enough calories to give you energy to get through the day.

I totally agree if you're up and moving all the time you probably are just eating the wrong portions and unhealthy foods. But if you feel like a quick workout would help Jillian Michaels has a 20 minute workout you could try to throw in in the morning..
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I would suggest making a promise to yourself that you are going to go out and walk for 5 minutes, that's it just 5 minutes. If you like it, you may go a little longer, but if not, no harm no foul because you only said you were going for 5 minutes. Just start really small.As you go along, you will find that you are starting to enjoy it and will not mind going a bit further each time. I think its key to find something that you enjoy doing that doesn't feel like such a chore. If its a chore, you may just quit. Sometimes I wear my iPod, sometimes I just enjoy the sites and sounds.

i enjoy logging the exercise on mfp, it lets me see how far I've come, and seeing it in a report makes me want to do better

Good luck on your journey!!

indeed!... what she said
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I hate exercise too! I started with the 30 Day Shred. It takes 20 minutes, before you know it you are done. It took me more than 30 days, but I finally made it. It helps that you will see results right away. I am still not much of a fan, but have been exercising since March, and am now up to 50 minute work outs.

What pushed me was that I hit a long plateau (for like 3 months) and realized that just changing my diet wasn't going to help me any longer. Good luck!!
  • cgipson001
    cgipson001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you plan a few times a week to go on a walk or bike ride, or whatever you want to do, you are less likely to back out of it. Make sure you chose someone who is dependable.
  • mrsgolfie
    mrsgolfie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean....sometimes it is hard for me to get started back into a healthy exercise program. I like walking; but must admit don't enjoy it doing it by myself. Maybe you can find a friend to walk with? Start just short walks, and add time as you progress. I bought myself a treadmill and do that in the winter months. I walk for an hour and vary the speed up and down; plus I watch a tv show I like or use my IPOD and have my treadmill upstairs in my bedroom beside the window so I can look out the window if I'm using the Ipod.
    In the summer I golf and push my cart and golf 18 holes which is four hours of walking and swinging the club. Great fun with fun girls I enjoy golfing with!
    If you don't think you'd like or take that much time; then maybe tennis, biking,hiking?
    I too work at a hospital; so know that you walk lots at work and probably lift too, so you are getting exercise then.
    :smile:
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Jillian's 30 day shred? It's only around 20 min or so and the more you do it the faster it seems to go. I agree to exercise in the morning or whatever time you get up in the day. (Not sure which shift you work.)
    That way it is out of the way, you don't have to think about it anymore that day, and it won't be a choice to skip when you are tired from work. It seems you have good intentions with what you would like to do when you get off, but sometimes when you get home you just want to plain relax. :)
    Good luck! :)
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a hospital and I would try to take the stairs instead of the elevator. Stair climbing is a great metabollism booster. I kept the weight off then too. Climbing hills is good too, so if you can find a walking route with hills that 's good. Another thing that might help, where you are already walking all day as you say, is to incorporate some weight lifting or even yoga! Sometimes building and having more muscle lets the muscle do some of the burning. Best of luck to you!
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Do "easy" stuff like ride a stationary bike, bike, walk (maybe not the best thing for those tired feet!). It will keep you moving a bit and you can work up to things which are more strenuous as the months go by.
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Do "easy" stuff like ride a stationary bike, bike, walk (maybe not the best thing for those tired feet!). It will keep you moving a bit and you can work up to things which are more strenuous as the months go by.