Need a good snack after a late night workout?

Options
I work til midnight, then i go to the gym and workout. When im done, i am hungry. Any suggestions of something good and light to eat or drink for when i get home?

Replies

• ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese (easily digestable protein)
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    protein shake!
  • moonflower09
    moonflower09 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I really like a graham cracker with a T of Nutella and a T of Strawberry Rhubarb jam with a glass of milk. Its so filling and such a delicious treat after a good workout. I use it when I need some easy tasty calories. Good Luck!:tongue:
  • shelliezahn
    Options
    My favorite is cottage cheese with a few berries or melba toast.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love Quaker Mini Rice Cakes...there's sweet and savory, whatever suits your tastes :)
  • rughead06
    rughead06 Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the ideas, will try them all except the cottage cheese that is not my favorite. lol
  • bootstrap7
    Options
    Rice cake topped with 2 Tbsp peanut butter and a couple spoonfuls of applesauce.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    an entire cucumber with 2 tblsp roasted red pepper hummus. lots of food and few cals! plus totally delish
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

I second the cottage cheese.

Casein protein is slow to digest so it will feed and sustain your muscles overnight. :)

Or a casein protein shake. I like Optimum Nutrition's Creamy Vanilla the best.
  • rughead06
    Options

I second the cottage cheese.

Casein protein is slow to digest so it will feed and sustain your muscles overnight. :)

Or a casein protein shake. I like Optimum Nutrition's Creamy Vanilla the best.

i take the casein protein shake is different than whey protein?
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the ideas, will try them all except the cottage cheese that is not my favorite. lol

You can puree the cottage cheese and add some savory seasonings to it for a delicious veggie dip - or you could do the same with greek yogurt instead.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    What type of workout are you doing? Are we talking 30 minutes of walking, 20 minutes of HIIT, an hour of steady state running, an hour of low weight, high rep toning strength, two hours of high weight/low rep muscle building, etc. Because what you're doing for the workout can help guide folks to better suggestions for you.
  • rughead06
    Options
    running on the treadmill for 35 minutes and then hitting the eliptical for 15 mins and other nights lifting weights for muscle building.
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    i take the casein protein shake is different than whey protein?

easiest way to think of it is whey is "fast-acting" whereas casein is more "slow-release".

whey would likely be preferred immediately following a workout so you can absorb quickly and rebuild, while casein is often recommended when your body will be without protein for an extended period of time (e.g. overnight).

there are a lot of good threads around on this topic if you want more details...i typically buy a protein blend that already includes both and use it both after workouts and before bed.
  • sandradavis359
    Options
    Anything high in carbs and protein is good.

And there is nothing wrong with eating carbs at night. In fact things like toast and oatmeal is recommended as a bedtime snack because it contains nutrients that promote healthy sleeping.
    For More Info at http://www.expresspharmarx.com/
  • Jeparkison
    Jeparkison Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im glad Im not the only one with this problem! I like bananas or peanut butter! (well my favorite was a piece of cake or ice cream but that dosent happen anymore! LOL)
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    protein drink
  • rughead06
    Options
    got some casein protein and i like it better than the whey protien. Thanks everyone!!
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Banana Smoothie - I freeze my bananas in the skin or out depending on my time when I purchase. I cup of milk your choice, 1 frozen banana cut in chunks and 4 pecan halves - all in blender and push smoothie button. It is sweet enough for me but you can add sweetner if so desired. If you don't want all the banana calories, leave out the pecans and use frozen strawberries or frozen peaches. So good and it keeps me away from the ice cream!
  • rughead06
    Options
    Banana Smoothie - I freeze my bananas in the skin or out depending on my time when I purchase. I cup of milk your choice, 1 frozen banana cut in chunks and 4 pecan halves - all in blender and push smoothie button. It is sweet enough for me but you can add sweetner if so desired. If you don't want all the banana calories, leave out the pecans and use frozen strawberries or frozen peaches. So good and it keeps me away from the ice cream!

that sounds good