Suddenly on one paycheck-- Budget Foods??

Options
Hey everyone... so, without going into too much detail, my husband and I are suddenly on one paycheck instead of two. Hopefully this situation will resolve before too long, and we will both be employed again!!

In the meantime... what are the BEST budget foods that are still healthy? (Obviously talking grocery/supermarket... already decided we won't be eating at restaurants for the time being.)

Also, how do you keep your produce from spoiling... what do you buy, how much of it do you buy in advance, what stays good the longest... etc. We cannot afford to waste any money on food going bad before it's eaten :/

Basically, any advice on how to stretch our food budget to the MAX without resorting to unhealthy, cheap garbage would be MUCH appreciated!! Thanks!

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Best of luck with your situation :(

Here's a good article, with a few surprises (coffee being my favorite): http://www.divinecaroline.com/22177/52070-twenty-healthiest-foods-1
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bump! Don't want to eat the garbage but on a very limited budget
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that article, I'm saving it to my favorites... lol
  • siouxzq4
    siouxzq4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If you're on Facebook check out Surviving and Thriving on Pennies. She feeds her family of 6 a mostly organic diet for $50/week. Go back a ways in her blog. Everything through the summer is about her garden. Great stuff though.

I'm also a huge proponent of saving in other ways to have more to spend on quality food. I make my own laundry detergent ($.03/load), dish detergent (about the same), lotion (super cheap), etc. Super easy to do and extra money to use elsewhere.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of staples at bulk barn. Stuff like brown rice, bulgur, pasta, spices, oatmeal, etc is wayyy cheaper at bulk stores. The danger is that you have to be strong enough to avoid the candy aisle!

Dry lentils, chick peas are good sources of protein and cheap to make. Also, you can buy the cheaper cuts of meat, and they will taste great as long as you cook them the right way. A good rule of thumb is the cheaper cuts need to cook longer. Think curry, stew, casserole.

When you go to the grocery store, stick to outside of the store. Don't go up and down the aisles- you'll pick up stuff you don't need. Also, if you shop in the evening, that is when the store employees mark down the bread, meat and produce. About 1 hour before the store closes is the best time to get reduced stuff. Sometimes you have to try a few different stores to find one that has a good 'reduced' section. I found that the stores with the massive produce section have more marked doww produce because they just have more of everything.

Good luck! Add me if you like, I used to be a chef so I'm a bit of a food expert ;)
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Definetely check out the bulk aisle! You can get quinoa, couscous, oatmeal, spices, etc super cheap. I also check online for flyers and shop accordingly. You can find some good deals! Farmers markets are good for fruit and veggies too! Usually cheaper and better too! Good luck with everything!
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    I don't really know what to tell you exactly. I know that buying foods that are in season is generally cheaper, both fruits and vegetables. I also try to shop at Aldi's for some of my staple foods. Although they don't have a lot of produce there what they do have is generally cheaper and just as good (I'm not sure if this is even an option for you though).

As a generally rule I go shopping about every two week and that seems to work well for me for produce since I live alone. I only buy what I will eat in that time frame and it typically last the exception being bananas. I also make sure to clean grapes, strawberries, etc. right away and keep them in the fridge in containers.

Sorry, it's not much help. Hope things get worked out soon for you. Good luck!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • alisonhindes
    Options
    TRY FINDING A LOCAL CHICKEN STORE- BUY BREAST IN BULK
    CANNED TUNA- LONG SHELF LIFE
    GREAT VALUE WHOLE WHEAT PASTA
    GREAT VALUE REDUCED FAT WHEAT THINS (16 FOR 130 CALS GREAT SNACK)
    GREAT VALUE ANYTHING (WALMART)
    GROUND TURKEY (USUALLY LIKE $2 A POUND)
    DELI LUNCH MEAT IS MOST OF THE TIME CHEAPER THAN PACKAGED.

LASTLY- DONT EXPERIMENT WITH CRAZY RECIPES, MOST OF THE TIME YOU CAN EAT YOUR NORMAL STUFF (THAT YOU KNOW YOUR HUBBY WILL EAT TOO), JUST LESS AND MEET YOUR CALORIE GOAL :)

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY BARGAIN HUNTING !
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I buy alot of frozen veggies. Broccoli, cauliflower, etc. We also eat alot of dry beans. Used as your protein, can be a cheap alternative to meat. I look for chicken breast on sale for 99cents per pound, which happens every couple of weeks. Then buy it in bulk and freeze it separately.

I don't do alot of couponing because so much of those items we do not eat. But I do ad match.

It is sad but true that healthy foods cost more.

Hope your situation gets better soon.
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For fruits and veggies, which can spoil very quickly, I've heard it's a good idea to wash them right when you get it out of the box, and then dry them ff and put them in tupperware- they won't spoil so fast that way.
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    Frozen chicken and veggies have become my best friends. Also I plan our dinners based on what is on sale. I've had to learn to feed 6 on 1 paycheck. It's hard at first but it does get easier.
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    \
    When you go to the grocery store, stick to outside of the store. Don't go up and down the aisles- you'll pick up stuff you don't need.

Good idea!! Very true, I'll try that next time!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You can buy big bags of bean and brown rice - the dry stuff is sooo much cheaper than the canned. Do you have any farmers markets in your area? If you go towards the end of the day, they're pretty good about haggling for prices on the fresh produce.
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    I'd always check the local flyers for sales/coupons but produce can be relatively affordable if you buy in season and in moderation (enough for the week or a few days so it doesnt spoil).
  • BKnanny62
    BKnanny62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I buy family sizes of chicken and lean meat. I then weight it out into serving sizes and freeze. That way, its allways just what I need per meal. Per person. We eat dry beans, canned no sugar fruits ( store brands) . I go to the store about tiwce per month. Once to walmart, and once to Aldi's. I shop Aldis frist. Then to walmarts to get what I can't get at the other store. I watch for sales, then buy up alot. and put in spare bedroom, when there is not room in my kitchen. I measure everything we eat in serving sizes. I also got smaller plates. that way it looks really full. Fools the eye. By going only about twice per month. It keeps down on buying extra things that are not on my list.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion of buying of spices in bulk. With enough variety of different spices, you can eat some variation of cheap hamburger casserole every night and it will never get old. Or stir-fry some ground beef with whatever veggies were on sale & some combination of spices, and serve over cheap noodles or rice. If you have a green thumb, you can save money by growing many spices right there in pots on your kitchen windowsill.

Good spice combos:
    Indian: curry & red pepper (to taste)
    Italian: 1 tsp garlic, 1 tsp basil, ¾ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp oregano, ½ tsp black pepper
    Greek: 1/2 tsp oregano, 1 tbsp lemon juice, salt/pepper to taste
    Cajun: 2 parts onion powder, 1 part garlic, & 1 part red pepper
    Barbecue: 2 teaspoons black pepper, 2 teaspoons paprika, 1 teaspoon cayenne (red) pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon garlic, ½ teaspoon cumin
    Sweet & spicy: ¼ cup ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons cinnamon, 2 tablespoons salt, 1 ½ teaspoons ground thyme, 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder
    poultry herbs: 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 4 teaspoons rosemary, 4 teaspoons thyme, 4 teaspoons minced onion, 4 teaspoons minced garlic, 2 teaspoons salt
  • killerqueen17
    Options
    Yum, those spice combos sound good!! And I like the suggestion of going to aldi first, and then somewhere else... Because it's true, you can't get everything at Aldi, lol!

I also have found some great deals at "ethnic" supermarkets (I hate that term but don't know how else to say it!!) There is an Asian supermarket, and an Indian supermarket both near my house... The produce, spices, and rice are priced amazing :)
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    99 cent stores.. you can get tons of fresh veggies/fruit for one dollar. Also, sometimes they have steals on half gals of milk, 3/$99 yogurt (great brands too!). Don't over buy just go once a week so the things you purchase don't spoil, because most of the time its ready to eat within the week =) buy meat in bulk, and start clipping coupons, they really do help!