Anyone else using a bum scale?

Options
philsy1
philsy1 Posts: 104 Member
I swear, my bathroom scale is driving me over the edge. It's digital and a few years old. My weight reading can vary as much as 1.5 lbs just by how I position my feet or even if I rotate the scale. And it only reads to the nearest half pound anyway. I'm too cheap to buy another one though. Felt like whining tonight. Thanks for reading.

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Man and here I was about to share how I weigh bums. Another post, another time :P
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Ha ha. I feel your pain. I've had mine since junior high (and I just turned 30). It usually gives me a range of three pounds, and I of course take the lightest one. :) Also, there's a little dead bug right under the screen on top of half of the last number that won't budge. He's been there for about a year now, so we're kind of buddies now. It would feel weird buying a new fancy scale!
  • jek002
    jek002 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem this morning! I went to weigh in this morning and got three different weights! I finally decided to position my fee the same way each week to get the most accurate results... i too am too cheap to get a new one!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yes mine does, and it's supposed to be a new body fat scale with high precision. If I knew where the receipt was I'd take it back. I have to "reset" it by throwing weights on there and then afterwards it works and gives me what I actually weigh. I have another scale that I use that's two pounds lighter so at least know when this "new" scale is giving me a wrong reading. But then why do I have a new scale!!
  • jek002
    jek002 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem this morning! I went to weigh in this morning and got three different weights! I finally decided to position my feet the same way each week to get the most accurate results... i too am too cheap to get a new one!
  • klacoille
    Options
    Ha ha. My scale at home is fine. But the one at my gym is broken. I was so excited the other day, until the front desk lady said it wasn't very accurate. I suppose it was strange that I lost 20lbs overnight. But I was happy for a second or two. :)
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm with ya on this one. I think mine gave out last week, even after pulling out the battery. We have a wellness program at work and get weekly weigh ins. My scale showed 0.5 lb gained in the prior week, the work scale showed 5 lbs lost. My home scale even now still shows me higher than previous week.

Gremlins, I say! GREMLINS!

PS: If you are looking to buy new, the one our wellness group uses is Tanita BC-554.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My scale, which tells you all kinds of things, like your percentage of water and your BMI, and which I just bought at the end of July, gave me 4 different weights the other morning! Drives me crazy!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Janet, curious what brand/model is it? I'm on the hunt for a new one and want to watch out for the baddies.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Mine does it too, but it doesn't bother me.
    My solution is NOT to move the scale ever. I put into a place where I can weight myself and just leave it there in the exact same position. I also used a permanent marker and draw 2 tiny mark where the top of my toes supposed to be. This way the scale and my position on the scale is the same always. i only care the relative difference anyway.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    I routinely range about 2 pounds up or down every morning. Most mornings after warming it up by stepping on a few times it will give me the same weight twice, then I'm satisfied and take it. Some mornings though... I can step on and step off twenty times, with the scale in the same place and stepping on the same way and get veeery different numbers that just won't decide where they want to be... those mornings I ignore the scale completely :tongue:

I can't complain too much though, mine was a free gift from a supplier at the SO's work.
  • amyjthomas
    Options
    Thank God there are others in the same boat. I wake up and I am one weight , use the restroom, and reweigh to be 1-2 lbs heavier. I just don't get it.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Man and here I was about to share how I weigh bums. Another post, another time :P

I read it the same way. lol And I thought, good gawd, why would I want to know how much my bum weighs??? lol
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have a scale like that. Its not digital just one of them reg ones. I take that number I get off of that one and go to my wii fit and guess in between what my weight is. Its kind of a pain but it seems to work. They both seem to be off about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes!! & I think my floors are uneven too. So it's always random numbers, I have no clue how much I weigh. ;(
  • wendorfa
    Options
    I am having this problem. We have an old, old Homedics scale that will eventually stop on a number but is VERY frustrating. Seems the lighter you weigh (my 14 year old and 12 year old girls do not have this problem) the better it works. So I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond yesterday and this woman said that she has this Thinner scale and loves it...well I got on it in the store and it told me I weighed 8.5 lbs heavier than the one at home. I bought it anyway....brought it home and weighed again w/o clothing and it said 8 lbs heavier than my old scale. Well today it's giving me the same weight (I just got on it for the heck of it, fully clothed) if I get on it over and over, but it is now saying 2 lbs heavier than yesterday! Now I don't know WHAT to trust!
  • teresarking
    Options
    I have the same problem but when I go to the doctor they weigh me so I can get my accurate measurements there so I am happy with my scale. It at least tells me that I am losing weight.
  • Gillby
    Gillby Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I bought a new scale and gained 6kgs from what the dodgy old one said.
    I'm over the disappointment now and just happy knowing i get a legitimate reading.
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Same here! I have to readjust the little knob each morning before standing on (to get it right at zero), make sure I place the scale in the same spot on the floor and make sure I position my feet the same way. I've got the routine down, but even so it's hard to read the little lines (I guess my eyes aren't as good as they used to be!) but if I bend down to read them, the weight distribution goes all wonky. So until I see about 3 lbs lost, I have no idea if I'm going anywhere :)
  • h82bfat
    Options
    Same boat here...I've got an old analogue scale with a hard-to-read dial. I could buy a snazzy new one but ultimately, although I do weigh in once a week, I'm no so much interested in a number (although it's fun to track) but my trajectory. Measurements/how clothing fits, photos, and how I feel is a better measure for me. I got an old shirt from the back of my closet. When I started I couldn't even pull it shut. Now I can button it, but it's still a little snug. Before long, I'm going to have to head to the thrift store and find another that's just a little too small. For me, that's as good an indicator of progress as what the scale says.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!