Who Has a Kindle?

42hockeymom
42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
edited October 2 in Chit-Chat
First let me start by saying I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle. I bought myself the model that has both wifi and 3G. However, I don't know how to turn on the 3G. It works great with wifi, I've got wifi in the house and am not having any problems there. But when I try to operate it outside of my house, or where this is no wifi, no 3G. Anyone want to give me some hints, tips, whatever? I really don't want to take it back to Best Buy, I will if I have to, but I've got all my books loaded on it and am just loving the hell out of the thing out of it!

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    When you turn the wireless on the 3G turns on. If wifi is also available and the wireless is on it will default to the wifi and use it. Are you sure you're in areas with 3G?
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    If your in an area with no wifi and no 3g it probably wouldn't work.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    The 3G should come on automatically, unless you have no 3G coverage in your area.
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    I have 3G coverage in my area, I checked. After doing more research with the help of Amazon, it seems that Best Buy sold me a wifi only model and CHARGED me for the wifi + 3G. So of course I find this out too late in the evening to call Best Buy, but I did email them with my displeasure with the Bait and Switch tactic. So not a happy camper right now. I guess I'll be making a bunch of phone calls tomorrow. Oh and did I mentione I live in BFE and the closest Best Buy is 40 miles from my house. And I didn't buy from Wal-mart because their extended warranty policy really sucks, BAD. *Sigh*
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    I have 3G coverage in my area, I checked. After doing more research with the help of Amazon, it seems that Best Buy sold me a wifi only model and CHARGED me for the wifi + 3G. So of course I find this out too late in the evening to call Best Buy, but I did email them with my displeasure with the Bait and Switch tactic. So not a happy camper right now. I guess I'll be making a bunch of phone calls tomorrow. Oh and did I mentione I live in BFE and the closest Best Buy is 40 miles from my house. And I didn't buy from Wal-mart because their extended warranty policy really sucks, BAD. *Sigh*

Best Buy did this to me - not the 3G vs. not 3G, but they sold me the ad-supported model, and charged me for the non-ad supported model.
  • vizamy
    vizamy Posts: 60 Member
    I'm in Australia and we've only just become able to buy them here from stores and not have to buy them from Amazon. I was of the understanding (regarding service) that Amazon service will cover faulty Kindles. I've already had one replaced, my son's, although my daughter's and my own DX have been fine. The Amazon service has been outstanding for me and for others I know here in Aussieland that have needed them replaced.

For the store that sold you the wrong one, rbryntes, SHAME ON THEM.
This discussion has been closed.