any ideas to make them less... repulsive? :P

Replies

• HollyTsiaussisx
    Options
    Hummus!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Turn them into hommous... then you won't even know they are there and they are delicious!
    I also like them with brown rice and capsicum and peas and other stuff as a salad but you might still find them a bit scary.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Do you like hummus? cause thats blended chick peas with tahini

Lots of indian food has chick peas in it, and its delicious. Try chana masala, its slightly spicy chick peas. A little high in sodium, so worth it =]

My mom cooks them in lots of things, basically anything that you put beans into, you can use chickpeas.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    there are some receipe's in the link on my signature, a few of them have chickpeas in them
  • punk_mama
    Options
    The only way I can/will eat them is in hummus form. Something about the texture of them is gross to me!!
  • nat102
    nat102 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    LOL i actually do like hummus!! i think they might be okay in a salad but what else do you guys throw in w them and what kind of dressing? their mushiness weirds me out
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    You can toss them with a little bit of olive oil and sprinkle them with whatever seasoning you like. Bake them until they are nice and crunchy. Delicious. But then again I'm a huge chickpea fan who doesn't really like hummus so I'm the odd one out.They probably wouldn't be offensive if blended into a smoothie... they don't have much flavor on their own and could make it pretty hearty. My thoughts are all over the place I'm tired but yup.
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My mother in law is from Spain and she makes a mean garbanzos. I don't know the recipe, how good/bad it is for you but it doesn't seem too bad. It's like a stew and she makes it with chicken, carrots, potato and a couple other things. Love it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Mix together:
    brown rice, cooked
    red capsicum, diced
    peas, cooked
    spring onion, diced
    broccoli, cut into small florets and steamed
    chick peas, canned, rinsed
    fresh coriander, mint or parsley
    Plus anything else hanging around in the fridge that looks like it would go nicely in here. Diced, cooked sweet potato perhaps.

Then I would add a dressing made with:
    olive oil
    lime juice
    white wine
    cummin
    cinnamon or allspice
    chilli flakes
    fennel seeds (optional)

It's nicest if you add the dressing while the rice is still warm, it sucks up all the yummy flavours in the dressing.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    You could throw them in a salad with a few other beans (kidney, string/pickled, or just a can of mixed) then a few slivered onions, peppers, and a vinaigrette disguises the taste pretty well. The mushy texture would blend in with the mushiness of all the other beans too...

If you're just after the nutrition, stew them in a pot of either water, or sauce then puree them and they can be hidden in a number of dishes. Pasta sauce, chili, sandwich spread. You could even bake them into biscuits, meatloaf or pretty much anything.

If you do the hummus, its tedious but worth peeling all the skins off..it'll come out way smoother.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    If you like curries, make a a simple chick pea curry, you can google some recipes.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hummus!

^^ This!
    They used to bother me (they "squeek" when you bite them. I started with garlic hummus now I love 'em in anything. Stews, salads...they are great all over and really good source of protein.

Edited to add: Canned aren't always great. Dried, soaked and cooked, are very consistant and have a much better texture. That's true of all beans. You can also try falafel and/or chickpea burgers. YUM!
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    Chick pea based curries are awesome:)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If texture is the issue, perhaps try them in a recipe that involves roasting them?

Also, have you tried falafel? You soak dry chickpeas overnight, then form them (with some other bits and pieces like garlic, onion, cumin, coriander and parsley) into little balls. I've only ever fried them, but I'd bet there's a low fat version of them out there somewhere.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Here - this looks easier than the method I'm suggesting, and lower fat:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5605/falafel-burgers

(BBC goodfood is generally a good place to look for recipes)
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I really want to like chick peas too, I can tolerate them but I dont love them.
    I have them in a curry with pumpkin and spinach, and I make a pasta sauce with them blending them up with pumpkin, a tin of tomatoes and some tomato paste.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I add them to my soups for more fiber and protein. There is a recipe around that has them in brownies. Add them to a salad.