Dealing with a torn lower back muscle

Options
About a year ago, while I was working at wal-mart as a cashier, I was made to work registers that were going against the grain. By this I mean since I had usually worked mostly right handed, switching to left handed and not reaching with the right across body was a little challenging. Because of this, I pulled and tore many of the lower back muscles on the right side. This happened over a period of months, and even when i brought it up to supervisors, i was told I was faking it and what not. This of course is partly why I am out of work.

Thankfully now that I am unemployed, they have healed for the most part except for an area just above the belt line. Feeling it, there is like a trench there. My goal is go strengthen those muscles so if I ever get into that position again on things they stand a better chance of not being injured.

I have torn muscles before but not like this. I guess the best analogy would be take a boxer, have them throw a punch from the back foot across the body. If done at the right angle, it pulls and tears the muscle.

Any ideas on how to rehabilitate a lower back muscle?