Changed settings.. For the better????

Options
Ok... Feel free to look through my diary and comment on this..

I began my journey to a better weight in June this year.

I lost a few lbs and then discovered MFP.

LOVE IT!!

Logged everything, ate better (odd slip up here n there) and all was going well. Lost 18lbs, around 6cm's on waist and hip measurements, but the scales failled to move... IN FIVE WEEKS!!!!

So, not getting hung up on it, not getting demotivated by it, BUT i'd have thought that something would have budged.

Therefore i've decided to review my goals and settings.

Upped my activity to "light active" and dropped my loss goal to 1lb per week from 2lb per week.

From this morning I now have 2100 cals to "feast" on!!!

Now then... Given i've set the activity to "lightly active" but I dont feel, other than the exercise I do, that I do anything out of the ordinary that i'd consider "active", should I now cease to eat back the exercise cals? should I just stick to the goal cals?

Please dont get into a eat v not argument between yourselves on this, im just curious if the "lightly active" setting negates the need to eat them back.

All advice, suggestions and feedback is welcome.

Cheers Guys..

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you dont think you are 'lightly active' why would you change ur setting to that?! i'm not trying to be funny, but you're giving yourself calories you arent burning off...

personally i would have just changed the deficit to 1lb per week and try that for a couple of weeks.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, good question, I think I get where you are coming from.
    I think you need to decide for yourself what constitues "lightly active". For example, I regularly walk to the bus stop or from the train and I don't log (or eat) any of these calories burned. For me, this is already accounted for by the "lightly active" setting.
    But, if I go running for half an hour or more, I will add this to my diary and will eat most or all of these calories.
    My viewpoint is that I need to eat more to fuel extra exercise (like running) but not daily activity (like walking to the bus or going up and down the stairs at work).
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    if you dont think you are 'lightly active' why would you change ur setting to that?! i'm not trying to be funny, but you're giving yourself calories you arent burning off...

personally i would have just changed the deficit to 1lb per week and try that for a couple of weeks.

Define "lightly active"....

MFP's example says "salesman, on your feet most of the day". I move around the house, clean, tidy, look after my 1 year old girl, prep and cook food. Inbetween that I edit the results from the week's shoots, weddings etc, admin work for that and a new business venture im embarking on... So would you consider that active? lightly active? I dont think its sedatory, as im not sat on my *kitten* 24/7 scoffing nacho's whilst watching jerry springer re-runs lol...

I, like Rubybelle, dont log cals for general day to day stuff (never have done), just purposeful exercise. As I doubt that the heart rate is pushed high enough to give a substantial, "quality" burn.

So I guess I am "slightly active" after all...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yup, sounds lightly active to me.
    I think the only way to see if it's right for you is to test it out... good luck, I hope it is the kick in the rear that your metabolism is looking for :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

MFP's example says "salesman, on your feet most of the day". I move around the house, clean, tidy, look after my 1 year old girl, prep and cook food. Inbetween that I edit the results from the week's shoots, weddings etc, admin work for that and a new business venture im embarking on... So would you consider that active? lightly active? I dont think its sedatory, as im not sat on my *kitten* 24/7 scoffing nacho's whilst watching jerry springer re-runs lol...

I, like Rubybelle, dont log cals for general day to day stuff (never have done), just purposeful exercise. As I doubt that the heart rate is pushed high enough to give a substantial, "quality" burn.

I was just going on what the original post said, that she didnt think she fit into that category, thats all.
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options

I was just going on what the original post said, that she didnt think she fit into that category, thats all.

"SHE"? :o( Im all HE :o)
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    Well.. i dunno if its been the right thing to do... as im sat here.. stuffed, its 815pm and i've still, according to MFP, got 1199 cals to fit in.

HELP!!!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    This sounds great to me. I am actually set to "active" because "lightly active" didn't seem to be enough for me (I was losing while eating maintenance). I only log and eat exercise (no logging of short walks, cleaning or anything like that). I've lost a good amount of weight by eating a LOT. I eat 1800-2500 calories a day.

It really isn't hard for me to eat enough. I eat "normal", maybe even high calorie food. Things like 3 eggs cooked in oil for breakfast, real sugar in my coffee, glasses of milk, protein shakes, steak, chicken, fish, pasta, bread, real cheese, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I would concur to lightly active. What is your exercise regimen?
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    I would concur to lightly active. What is your exercise regimen?

I do a Kettlebell DVD workout, around 20 mins and 15 mins skipping alternating day i use the X trainer for 60mins or 20/30min plus skipping for 15.

I also play, though that's stretching the term "play" somewhat, ice hockey for 60/90 mins on Sunday evenings...

Additionally I run through press ups, crunches, ab-wheel and planks.

Im looking at local gyms to introduce some resistance work.
  • DoncasterPhotography
    Options
    ok so I havent weighed in since making the changes.

Wrongly, in hindsight, I didnt log my actual weight on MFP which was 107.8kgs (I liked looking at the "you have lost 18lbs" ticker from when i'd dropped to 104kgs :o( )

Anyhoo.... I took the plunge and stepped onto the scales, this morning...... 104.8kgs... GET IN!!!!

So, for me, to lose weight.... EAT MORE... lol

I still struggle to hit the 2140 GOOD calories MFP has set, but i try to stay above 1500...

Happy smilie faces here today.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Wrongly, in hindsight, I didnt log my actual weight on MFP which was 107.8kgs (I liked looking at the "you have lost 18lbs" ticker from when i'd dropped to 104kgs :o( )

Anyhoo.... I took the plunge and stepped onto the scales, this morning...... 104.8kgs... GET IN!!!!

So, for me, to lose weight.... EAT MORE... lol

I still struggle to hit the 2140 GOOD calories MFP has set, but i try to stay above 1500...

Happy smilie faces here today.

Good job!! You really do need to try things out and see what works for you! It can be really hard to get your head around eating more to lose more, now that I'm down to my final stretch that's what I'm struggling with!
    If you're finding it hard to eat your calories look at nuts, nut butters, avocados etc. Things that are calorie dense but not overly processes!
    Good luck!!