One-time exercise -or- Split-up exercise... does it make.a d

Options
I want to get back to cardio at least for 60min daily. Unfortunately, I find it difficult to fit a full 60min in during a work week.

So, my question is:

I could do 30min in the morning, 30min in the evening... or 20/20/20, etc.

Is there a difference in benefit of doing 60min straight opposed to splitting the time up? ...or is 60min just 60min no matter what?

Your insight is greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

Replies

• Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    i see nothing wrong in splitting it up.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Lukas, in my situation (health and weight) I would not be able to get my heart rate going jihj eneough, for long enough to get a good calorie burn and cardio workout.

Everyone is different though. Try it with a heart rate monitor and see what you get for a burn.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    With cardio; its best to work in 15 to 30 minutes of warm up time to get your heart rate up

The benefits from cardio workouts come from keeping your heart rate up within your target zone for a period of time. Obviously the longer the better.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    30 twice a day should be long enough to get your heart rate up, and it also should help with your metabolism!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have 3 young sons, and most days have to fit the workout in around them. I end up doing 30mins here and maybe a few hours later another 30 mins or so. It hasn't hurt and i've been able to lose. (Right now im on maintainance).
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i split my workouts in the day also, but i try to get my heart rate up at least 80-85% so i can get the max caloric burn in a minimal amount of time. I also try to work multiple body parts at the same time (ex squats w/shoulder presses)

if you can, get a hrm. this way you can track your calories during your workouts
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    actually the longer the better is not true...it depends on goals....you can get a fantastic workout in 30 min if you try some intervals
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    With cardio; its best to work in 15 to 30 minutes of warm up time to get your heart rate up

The benefits from cardio workouts come from keeping your heart rate up within your target zone for a period of time. Obviously the longer the better.
    that seems like a long warmup
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    From a calorie burn prospective it doesn't matter either way, and from a cardio health prospective, it's actually better to break it up. They say after about 30 minutes you derive little to no added heart benefits from exercise. It's the first 20-30 minutes that matter.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    idk about what is scientifically better, but i know myself, and there is no better time for me to work out then in the morning, around 8-9am. i just can't really get into working out in the evenings.
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    RisyaLifsheTova Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I typically do my workout in the mornings and its usually only for 30minutes on the treadmill with some hardcore cardio!
    Now this week im trying something new. Doing Yoga and Cardio, obviously at two differant times.... Im curious to see when I weigh in on Sunday if it increases my weight loss or not :) Ill keep you posted!

2735010.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

SW 320
    CW 239
    GW 175
    UGW 150!!!
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback...

What I've gleaned from all the helpful advice is that I should warm up and not start my 30min until my heart rate is optimal, that way, I will reap benefits from split cardio sessions...

Thanks!