French Onion Soup

Options
plm209
plm209 Posts: 222 Member
I discovered this recipe last night as I was trying to find something for dinner. Created it myself and boy, was it delicious! Not something to eat EVERY day, but good for those nights that you want something different. :glasses:

1 Can Progresso French Onion soup
1 Slice Milano (or similar) Italian Bread
3 Slices American (or other) Cheese

Preheat broiler. Place soup in a oven safe crock. Warm in microwave for 2.5-3 mins. Put a slice of bread on top of the soup and cover with cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is "bubbly" and slightly browned on top. Remove from oven and enjoy!

Total Calories: 480
Total Fat: 31 g
Fiber: 3g
Protein: 23g

Replies

• plm209
    Options
    I discovered this recipe last night as I was trying to find something for dinner. Created it myself and boy, was it delicious! Not something to eat EVERY day, but good for those nights that you want something different. :glasses:

1 Can Progresso French Onion soup
    1 Slice Milano (or similar) Italian Bread
    3 Slices American (or other) Cheese

Preheat broiler. Place soup in a oven safe crock. Warm in microwave for 2.5-3 mins. Put a slice of bread on top of the soup and cover with cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is "bubbly" and slightly browned on top. Remove from oven and enjoy!

Total Calories: 480
    Total Fat: 31 g
    Fiber: 3g
    Protein: 23g
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I love French onion soup. I've used Campbell's too. And I've made it from the bags. I want to find a good homemade recipe without the can but have yet to do so.

I use Funyuns instead of bread and provolone (NOT smoked...yuk to the smoked provolone)....and I heat the soup on the stove....put it in a bowl...add 3-4 Funyuns and put a slice of the provolone on top. Put it in the oven on broil until the cheese is brown........and YES it is YUMMMMMMYYYYYYY...I love French onion.

I think this way is less calories too but I don't have the info with me. The soup itself isn't alot of calories.

But I think I may just try it your way....it sounds good too :glasses: :happy:
  • cbrooks66
    cbrooks66 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for the tips on the soup. I normally don't like canned soup, but your recipes sound really delicious. Will give it try this weekend.
  • plm209
    Options
    I use Funyuns instead of bread and provolone (NOT smoked...yuk to the smoked provolone)....and I heat the soup on the stove....put it in a bowl...add 3-4 Funyuns and put a slice of the provolone on top.

OOOoooOOOooo...Funyuns sound AMAZING for the soup. I concur on the smoked provolone, takes away all of the cheese taste. :drinker:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I use Funyuns instead of bread and provolone (NOT smoked...yuk to the smoked provolone)....and I heat the soup on the stove....put it in a bowl...add 3-4 Funyuns and put a slice of the provolone on top.

OOOoooOOOooo...Funyuns sound AMAZING for the soup. I concur on the smoked provolone, takes away all of the cheese taste. :drinker:

five.gif
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm having baked french onion soup for lunch today. It's leftovers from a couple of nights ago.

If you have some time and want a delicious french onion soup try this one.
    http://fall-recipes.suite101.com/article.cfm/french_onion_soup_recipe

Make a pot and freeze in small containers. When you have the craving take some out of the freezer.

It does have wine in it but I've always been told that the alcohol cooks out. It gives it a depth of flavor that without it seems like something is missing. I also like it better as leftovers. The flavors blend together and make it even yummier!

Happy Cooking
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Love french onion soup! Has anyone had it while camping...put a sliced onion...some butter...and beef bouillon in some foil. Wrap tightly and let it cook over the campfire...add some cheese towards the end. OMGosh!!!! So yummy!!!!! When I was pregnant this last time I made them all the time the same way in our oven here at home. My husband was ready to kill me. I smelled like an onion non-stop (and had some pretty nasty gas:blushing: ).