What? Are you kidding me?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    i do not deprive myself of anything. i eat whole eggs, peanut m&m's, pizza. i drink, and enjoy the occasional cigarrette. but i will not stop at a taco bell or mcdonalds because i am a little hungry. for me to change my self i know i have to sacrifice.

btw, i forgot that outside of new york city it is very rare to see estimated calories of items at resturants.

i didn't try to be hurtful. what i said was blunt, but in my opinion, the truth.
    Dude, pretty ironic you speak of "healthy" yet engage and eat things not considered healthy.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    So yesterday, even though I know taco bell is not so great, I was hungry and I decided to go get a burrito. I thought I would get a cheesy potato burrito. I knew it would be a bit high in calories but not 540 calories!! How can you put that many calories in a burrito? Anyway, I have decided that I am sticking to home made burritos and tacos from now on....lol...

According to the Alli calorie & Fat counter you could get the godita baja,Chicken its 230 calories with 9 grams of fat.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    sarahi2009 the poster agrees with engineman. who was speaking the truth in a harsh way. but honestly. i personally want honesty and not some 'you'll do better tomorrow' filler non sense.

SueGremlin you are just being a nasty pants. you need to chill out. you're making a mountain out of a molehill by making it personal.
    you're looking very much like a gremlin yourself.
    lol. ok.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Taco Bell. Nothing wrong with eating anything, as long as you plan for it and fit it into your daily life.

I honestly haven't changed my diet much at all, I just learned to properly plan and portion my meals, in the 41 pounds I've lost in the last 5 months. And that includes eating plenty of Wendy's, Taco Bell, Five Guys, etc. Get all the nutrition you need. The trick isn't to eat ONLY incredibly healthy food, it's to balance the good with the bad, to make sure you get the proper levels of nutrition and balance out not so good foods to stay within your calorie limits. Hell, my wife and I are both bakers. I make about 1000 different types of cheesecakes, an all different types of breads. And my wife is big on baking pies and cookies. Are they healthy? Not particularly. Do I fit them into my life plan? Absolutely. Life is too short to not indulge on occasion.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    why someone on a weight loss and exercise life changing mode would decide to go to taco bell is beyond me. i'm sorry, but you need to have discipline to avoid such temptations, and chose healthy. you were kidding yourself, or just blatenly avoiding the fact that a burrito could be bad for you. go to a deli and ask for a 2 oz of low salt ham, an ounce of low salt swiss, some mustard, lettuce, tomato, on a roll, and bought an apple and a bottle of water. it would've been just as many calories, healthy, and more filling.

i bet you were hungry an hour later too.
    Sand in your tweeter, huh?
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    i do not deprive myself of anything. i eat whole eggs, peanut m&m's, pizza. i drink, and enjoy the occasional cigarrette. but i will not stop at a taco bell or mcdonalds because i am a little hungry. for me to change my self i know i have to sacrifice.

btw, i forgot that outside of new york city it is very rare to see estimated calories of items at resturants.

i didn't try to be hurtful. what i said was blunt, but in my opinion, the truth.

Most the restaurants around here in Idaho post all of their calories in some sort of signage in the store. I don't think Taco Bell should be off limits and certainly do not get how your list is somehow a better option in anyway than Taco Bell.

We don't always make the best choices but things happen we move on.. It is called a journey for a reason, that burrito will out of your system soon and now you know to avoid it. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I know, I know, I just underestimated I guess....lol...well just wanted to posted so if there is someone out there just like me, they will be aware as well ;)
    I ate a Double Western Cheese burger with fried zucchini on Sunday for lunch. 1340 calories. But all accounted for for the day. Don't feel bad. Just make sure to combat the calories with exercise and activity.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    So yesterday, even though I know taco bell is not so great, I was hungry and I decided to go get a burrito. I thought I would get a cheesy potato burrito. I knew it would be a bit high in calories but not 540 calories!! How can you put that many calories in a burrito? Anyway, I have decided that I am sticking to home made burritos and tacos from now on....lol...

why someone on a weight loss and exercise life changing mode would decide to go to taco bell is beyond me. i'm sorry, but you need to have discipline to avoid such temptations, and chose healthy. you were kidding yourself, or just blatenly avoiding the fact that a burrito could be bad for you. go to a deli and ask for a 2 oz of low salt ham, an ounce of low salt swiss, some mustard, lettuce, tomato, on a roll, and bought an apple and a bottle of water. it would've been just as many calories, healthy, and more filling.

i bet you were hungry an hour later too.

Thanks. And, DUH!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    sarahi2009 the poster agrees with engineman. who was speaking the truth in a harsh way. but honestly. i personally want honesty and not some 'you'll do better tomorrow' filler non sense.

SueGremlin you are just being a nasty pants. you need to chill out. you're making a mountain out of a molehill by making it personal.

There's a difference between honest and self-righteous. And if you're going to be self-righteous, you really ought to make sure your own house is in order.

I see one day where Engineman had a 1,200 calories dinner and more than 4,100 grams of sodium. But he feels justified telling the OP she should never eat TB.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Engineman,

Yes, I completely agree with you!! I am really good actually and I am thinking about doing maintenance mode now and I have changed my lifestyle a lot. I am not going to make excuses, I really knew it was bad but not 540 calories bad...lol...

LOOK AT THIS!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Taco Bell. Nothing wrong with eating anything, as long as you plan for it and fit it into your daily life.

I honestly haven't changed my diet much at all, I just learned to properly plan and portion my meals, in the 41 pounds I've lost in the last 5 months. And that includes eating plenty of Wendy's, Taco Bell, Five Guys, etc. Get all the nutrition you need. The trick isn't to eat ONLY incredibly healthy food, it's to balance the good with the bad, to make sure you get the proper levels of nutrition and balance out not so good foods to stay within your calorie limits. Hell, my wife and I are both bakers. I make about 1000 different types of cheesecakes, an all different types of breads. And my wife is big on baking pies and cookies. Are they healthy? Not particularly. Do I fit them into my life plan? Absolutely. Life is too short to not indulge on occasion.
    This. I don't limit WHAT I can eat, just how much of it I can eat.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    :)

Have a great day everyone!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Engineman,

Yes, I completely agree with you!! I am really good actually and I am thinking about doing maintenance mode now and I have changed my lifestyle a lot. I am not going to make excuses, I really knew it was bad but not 540 calories bad...lol...

LOOK AT THIS!!!

Doesn't make you less of a jerk or a hypocrite.
  • engineman312
    Options

There's a difference between honest and self-righteous. And if you're going to be self-righteous, you really ought to make sure your own house is in order.

I see one day where Engineman had a 1,200 calories dinner and more than 4,100 grams of sodium. But he feels justified telling the OP she should never eat TB.

those 1200 calorie dinners were 3 nights in a row were i was working night shift at work. i am a power plant engineer, and am required to be alert and attentive to the power load. i find that a good strong dinner helps me stay awake for 6pm to 6am, and deal with anything that comes my way.

please, pick apart my food intake a little more.

and yeah, after a particularly long and greuling night shift, i need a smoke. its better then the pack a day i was on a year ago.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Engineman,

LOOK AT THIS!!!

She's a far better person than you are, IMHO. I realize you don't "coddle", but you don't have to be insensitve either. She owned up to what she did, just said she didn't realize how many calories there would be. I'd rather eat a burrito at Taco Bell than smoke a cigarette, but I certainly won't belittle you for doing so. You can keep it real and honest without being sarcastic and smug.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Well, now you know that it's important to make informed educated choices, right? I checked on the Taco Bell website and the sodium for that burrito is 1360, ouch! Plus, that burrito is actually called the "1/2 lb. cheesy potato burrito". Not my first choice but I can understand sometimes it may be the heat of the moment. Now that it is said and done, add it to your log and move on. Nutritional values for most restaurants are online or may have a pamphlet at the restaurant.

I had takeout last night after the gym (crummy timing) but we went to Boston Market and I have 5 oz. turkey breast (no gravy) with two sides of steamed veggies (no cornbread) and my calories were about 300 but I also make that my go to place when I'm in a rush and researched it way before hand.

I guess I will say lesson learned and thank you for sharing so others will know that may not be a great choice. This is about accountability and I am glad you learned from it. This will be helpful for others on MFP I'm sure! Drink lots of water and green tea to get rid of that sodium!!!
  • engineman312
    Options
    Engineman,

LOOK AT THIS!!!

Doesn't make you less of a jerk or a hypocrite.
    \

jeeez, i never claimed to be perfect. i smoked, i drank, i made horrible food choices. man, a few weeks ago i was at my old mans house and had a big bbq. i had worked out like a beast that morning to counter it, and had to work out the next day to also counter it.

i never attacked this woman, but tried to give her a kick in the right direction. i don't like coddling, and i want to be called out on my mistakes.
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Guys,

To Engineman

I do agree with the group that you were harsh and blunt and you judged with out even knowing me. I understand you spoke the truth and I agree, but you have to keep in mind that not everybody is thick skin and some are barely starting their journey and to have someone judge them like that will probably discourage them. You could have word it different and still be blunt. Don't throw stones if you house is made out of glass, at least that's my motto.

For everyone else,

Whether you were defending me or just took offense to what engine man said, just know that some people have better communication skills than others :)
  • rml_16
    Options

those 1200 calorie dinners were 3 nights in a row were i was working night shift at work. i am a power plant engineer, and am required to be alert and attentive to the power load. i find that a good strong dinner helps me stay awake for 6pm to 6am, and deal with anything that comes my way.

please, pick apart my food intake a little more.

and yeah, after a particularly long and greuling night shift, i need a smoke. its better then the pack a day i was on a year ago.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what you choose to eat if it's working for you. But, really, you could choose a "good, strong" dinner that will keep you alert and awake with less sodium, fat and calories. But you chose what you chose for your own reasons.

Other people do the same. Get over yourself. You aren't perfect and you clearly are not making the kinds of sacrifices you're demanding of others.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Sara~
    I did the same thing last weekend at Whataburger (mostly Texas chain). I knew eating one would be high in calories, so I didn't dare eat a french fry, but I was shocked to see just how many calories were in that thing! Sometimes it's worth it, as long as we know and can exercise extra on those days. Thanks for the tip about burritos!
This discussion has been closed.