Eggplant!

Options
dp1228
dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
Anyone have any kickass recipes for eggplant?! I bought it on a whim and now I find myself staring at it wondering what to do with it. I havent had eggplant is so long! Any ideas very welcome! You can friend me too I'm in need of some MFP pals who can cook a wicked meal :)

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I grill mine and put a fresh sauce of Crushed tomatoes, zuchinni, peppers, garlic and onions on top. Add a sprinkle of moz cheese and an oz of pasta.
  • Khadines
    Khadines Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat eggplant curried
  • PhatChic1186
    Options
    I found this Lighter Eggplant Parmesan recipe yesterday @ http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/lighter-eggplant-parmesan-5-pts.html I haven't tried it yet. But I plan to try it

Lighter Eggplant Parmesan
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 8 servings • Time: 60 minutes • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 265.3 • Fat: 12.4 g • Protein: 14.1 g • Carb: 35.4 g • Fiber: 4.4 g

1 large eggplant (2 lbs)
    1 tbsp olive oil

12 oz fat free ricotta
    1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Pecorino Romano
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

1 medium egg
    2 cups reduced fat mozzarella (I used Sargento)
    3 cups homemade tomato sauce
    salt

Start by making the sauce if you don't have any already made. While the sauce simmers, slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch thick slices. Lightly salt the slices and put in a colander to release excess moisture for about 1/2 hour. Lay on paper towels to soak up any extra moisture.

Preheat oven to 450°. Brush eggplant lightly with olive oil on both sides and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning half way through until eggplant is golden brown.

In a medium bowl combine ricotta, egg, parsley and 1/4 cup of grated cheese.

In a 9x12 baking dish, put a little sauce on the bottom of the dish and put a layer of eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish. Top with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese and sauce. Add another layer of eggplant and repeat the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and sauce until everything is used up. Top with sauce and the mozzarella cheese and the remaining grated cheese.

Cover with foil and bake until cheese is melted and everything is bubbling, about 30 minutes at 400°. Remove foil and bake an additional 8-10 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Good luck - I was veggie for many years and aubergine (which is what we call 'em over here) was the one thing I really could not bear. Yuck!!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird but.... slice it, spread on mayonnaise (I use hellmans light), salt, pepper and parmesan cheese... broil.

I also add it to things like shrimp curry and any kind of stir fry... its also really good made as parmagiana.
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I responded to a post on this before - copied the link below - hope it works. I have one in the fridge too, I might make it as part if a vegetable curry tonight!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/324159-eggplant-preparations
  • dp1228
    Options
    I found this Lighter Eggplant Parmesan recipe yesterday @ http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/03/lighter-eggplant-parmesan-5-pts.html I haven't tried it yet. But I plan to try it

Lighter Eggplant Parmesan
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 8 servings • Time: 60 minutes • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 265.3 • Fat: 12.4 g • Protein: 14.1 g • Carb: 35.4 g • Fiber: 4.4 g

1 large eggplant (2 lbs)
    1 tbsp olive oil

12 oz fat free ricotta
    1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Pecorino Romano
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

1 medium egg
    2 cups reduced fat mozzarella (I used Sargento)
    3 cups homemade tomato sauce
    salt

Start by making the sauce if you don't have any already made. While the sauce simmers, slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch thick slices. Lightly salt the slices and put in a colander to release excess moisture for about 1/2 hour. Lay on paper towels to soak up any extra moisture.

Preheat oven to 450°. Brush eggplant lightly with olive oil on both sides and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning half way through until eggplant is golden brown.

In a medium bowl combine ricotta, egg, parsley and 1/4 cup of grated cheese.

In a 9x12 baking dish, put a little sauce on the bottom of the dish and put a layer of eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish. Top with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese and sauce. Add another layer of eggplant and repeat the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and sauce until everything is used up. Top with sauce and the mozzarella cheese and the remaining grated cheese.

Cover with foil and bake until cheese is melted and everything is bubbling, about 30 minutes at 400°. Remove foil and bake an additional 8-10 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!

omg i LOVE skinnytaste! i may have to check it out i love all those recipes!
  • dp1228
    Options
    I eat eggplant curried

i've never tried that! ive only ever had eggplant when it was mixed in with some kind of tomato sauce haha
  • dp1228
    Options
    Sounds weird but.... slice it, spread on mayonnaise (I use hellmans light), salt, pepper and parmesan cheese... broil.

I also add it to things like shrimp curry and any kind of stir fry... its also really good made as parmagiana.

hmm as a part of stir fry! that sounds delicious! thank you!
  • nanawhitt
    Options
    I slice it length wise into 4 even slices [no need to peel if fresh], saute it in olive oil about 3 min per slice , serve it over 1 cup angel hair spaghetti topped with 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, 1 tbs parmesan and about 1/2 oz mozerella cheese per slice of eggplant. Serves 4 , is delicious sub for eggplant parmesan and is great for you. Even healthier if you use wh grain pasta.YUM!
  • dp1228
    Options
    Ugh! Good luck - I was veggie for many years and aubergine (which is what we call 'em over here) was the one thing I really could not bear. Yuck!!

haha i actually remember really liking eggplant!! i hope i still do or i just wasted a couple dollars LOL
  • dp1228
    Options
    I slice it length wise into 4 even slices [no need to peel if fresh], saute it in olive oil about 3 min per slice , serve it over 1 cup angel hair spaghetti topped with 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, 1 tbs parmesan and about 1/2 oz mozerella cheese per slice of eggplant. Serves 4 , is delicious sub for eggplant parmesan and is great for you. Even healthier if you use wh grain pasta.YUM!

ooo i loves this!
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I make a side dish with mine. . . not sure the calorie count. . .

Dice eggplant. Saute over medium high heat until just about done. Remove from bowl and set aside. Added diced onion and garlic and saute until translucent. Add hoisin, red chili sauce, soy sauce and peanut butter. Salt to taste. Add eggplant back in and heat. You can top with cilantro if you'd like. This is also a great recipe for lettuce wraps, just add more ingrediants . . . chicken, mushroom, sprout, carrot.
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I spray it with butter flavored Pam and put it on the Griddler (Cuisanart's version of a George Forman Grill). Sprinkle with a little garlic salt and voila' Love the stuff that way.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have some cooking RIGHT NOW! I first sauteed some sliced baby bellas in olive oil SPRAY and garlic -- then remembered I had an eggplant... so I sliced the eggplant up and added it to the pan... then I dumped the balance of the bag of spinach I had... gonna let it all get sauteed and soft and YUM! Garlic, garlic, garlic... then just cut in and eat! Yum!
  • dp1228
    Options
    I have some cooking RIGHT NOW! I first sauteed some sliced baby bellas in olive oil SPRAY and garlic -- then remembered I had an eggplant... so I sliced the eggplant up and added it to the pan... then I dumped the balance of the bag of spinach I had... gonna let it all get sauteed and soft and YUM! Garlic, garlic, garlic... then just cut in and eat! Yum!

your all making me wanna go home right NOW and cook this bad boy up LOL
  • naveej
    naveej Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • sallykath60
    Options
    i like to slice eggplant and brush it with olive oil and salt and pepper and grill till done. its pretty good.
  • sallykath60
    Options
    that sounds better than just grilled with olive oil