Pulling & tearing muscles

Options
Whenever I seem to get back into exercises, I tend to pull or tear a muscle taking months to heal. Despite trying to work up slowly/easily and being careful, it always seems to happen. Any additional advice?

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Whenever I seem to get back into exercises, I tend to pull or tear a muscle taking months to heal. Despite trying to work up slowly/easily and being careful, it always seems to happen. Any additional advice?
    more protein to help muscle recovery tearing muscles is what builds them
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're actually tearing your muscles in a bad way? Technically, when your muscles burn, that's tiny tears being made. That's how you build muscle strength. Pain is going to happen - you're taxing your muscles in a way they haven't been worked before. My trainer tells me to work out even if I'm sore because it restores blood flow and promotes healing.

More information is needed. What are you doing? What weights are you doing? You may need to see a doctor.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Have you tried walking or swimming?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    have you worked with a trainer on posture, stance, positioning?
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do walk these days, not a big fan of swimming though. I'm not meaning soreness but severe pain over several months. I used to have weights at home but after causing myself problems with them I gave them up. When I messed up my leg, the doctor shrugged and gave me anti-inflammatories (which I did not take). I did do Kung Fu/Yoga/Tai-Chi for 6 or so years, it worked well EXCEPT when I practiced at home, then I'd go back to really messing myself up again and being out for a few months. Recently it's been my shoulder/pectoral area that's being going on for about a year. I keep re-aggravating it so have done very little since. X-rays and other low-level medical diagnostics don't show anything so I'm like 'whatev' and ignore it, take Advil if it gets too bad. I've narrowed the problem down to pulling large carts behind me at work, reaching overhead to do work, or ergonomics and have tried compensating with little success. Thanks all for the words, they are indeed heard.
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I guess what I'm wondering is whether I should just say 'forget this' and go full on exercising again or try to do as little as possible in the hope that it gets better. I'm also wondering if it's some kind of tendonitis, pinched nerve or other problem that's not easily seen by medical exams.