Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low carb & treats (please, no anti-low-carbers)

Fellow low-carbers, I have two questions...

1. What're your favourite treats? I have gone mental on nuts the last few weeks but they're so calorific.

2. If you're going to 'blow it', which I have (on said nuts), does it make a difference if you do so low-carb, i.e. this is less damaging for weight loss/longer term/health/whatever? Or if you've blown your calories, does HOW you blow it matter (i.e. are nuts better than cake? The same? Worse?)?

Thanks muchly :flowerforyou:

Replies

• randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    my fav non carby treats: Cottage cheese, celery, boiled eggs, raisins, i LOVE nuts, pate', yoghurt

have you tried graze box? www.graze.com gives you loads of snackky ideas and a suitable for people who want to eat treats in portion sizes

use this code for a free box "Y9T1D4G" and you can select the stuff you like. I always get olives cos i love them!!

And i think nuts are deffo better than cake! think of all the butter, cream, sugar and flour in a cake....nuts are only natural fats... xxx
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    The problem with blowing it on low carb is you could stop being in ketosis. Nuts are not super high in carbs, but they're not low, either. Check the serving size and amount of carbs in each serving. My favorite snack is a piece of cheese. I buy these individually wrapped 1 oz squares of white cheddar. That works for me when I need something to tide me over until dinner. But to be honest, I really don't snack a lot.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I read a study review on nuts last week and I can't find it, but this sums up the results:

"Even when people add nuts to their usual diets, they don’t seem to gain much, if any, weight. In a small study from Purdue University last year, women who added 344 calories worth of almonds a day to their diets—without purposefully cutting back on calories elsewhere or exercising more—did not gain weight after 10 weeks. Similar findings have been reported with walnuts and peanuts......A 2007 review from Australia sums it up: When added freely to a diet, nuts cause less weight gain than would be predicted—and when added to a calorie-controlled diet, they don’t cause weight gain and may sometimes make weight loss easier."
    http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/wl/2008/wlFeatured0508.html

So, I'd say nuts are a far better option than cake :)
  • Well, I'm not a low carber, but I CAN tell you that even if you go over your calories, how you go over definitely matters, because there's way more nutrition in those nuts than there is in the cake. And the better nourished your body is, the more efficient and healthier it will be. So, nuts > cake.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Let's see:

*a little "happy plate" of olives & cheese! Maybe a few nuts added, or even a turkey roll up.
    * Mix cream cheese with some dill & basil & garlic powder (or really whatever spice you like). Use that as a dip for red pepper strips and/or celery.
    * Avocado and shrimp cocktail!

I will occasionally go over on calories, but try to stay low on carbs.
    :drinker:
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    I read a study review on nuts last week and I can't find it, but this sums up the results:

"Even when people add nuts to their usual diets, they don’t seem to gain much, if any, weight. In a small study from Purdue University last year, women who added 344 calories worth of almonds a day to their diets—without purposefully cutting back on calories elsewhere or exercising more—did not gain weight after 10 weeks. Similar findings have been reported with walnuts and peanuts......A 2007 review from Australia sums it up: When added freely to a diet, nuts cause less weight gain than would be predicted—and when added to a calorie-controlled diet, they don’t cause weight gain and may sometimes make weight loss easier."
    http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/wl/2008/wlFeatured0508.html

So, I'd say nuts are a far better option than cake :)

Yeah, you might've actually read that on a topic I posted because of my current nut fetish - thanks for replying though!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    When I was doing low carb it was pretty much just eggs, cheese, meat, and low carb veggies, one serving of nuts a day. I ate green beans like they were fries.

Sunflower seeds maybe? Takes a while to eat them in you get the ones in the shells and they seem pretty good for energy as well.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Well, I'm not a low carber, but I CAN tell you that even if you go over your calories, how you go over definitely matters, because there's way more nutrition in those nuts than there is in the cake. And the better nourished your body is, the more efficient and healthier it will be. So, nuts > cake.

Absolutely. Better choices are always, well, better! :tongue:
  • glypta
    Well, I'm not a low carber, but I CAN tell you that even if you go over your calories, how you go over definitely matters, because there's way more nutrition in those nuts than there is in the cake. And the better nourished your body is, the more efficient and healthier it will be. So, nuts > cake.

Absolutely. Better choices are always, well, better! :tongue:

You're right...I actually think though with the quantity of nuts (i.e.a whole pack - I just cant stop :cry: ), a slice of cake or even two or three (!) would be less calorific! And if I throw out the nuts, I can't get them at the local shop, which sells chocolate etc. What a quandary!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member

1. What're your favourite treats? I have gone mental on nuts the last few weeks but they're so calorific.

2. If you're going to 'blow it', which I have (on said nuts), does it make a difference if you do so low-carb, i.e. this is less damaging for weight loss/longer term/health/whatever? Or if you've blown your calories, does HOW you blow it matter (i.e. are nuts better than cake? The same? Worse?)?

- Sugar Free Jello + Whipped Cream
    - Low Carb Chocolate (or favorite flavor) Protein Shake + Heavy Whipping Cream
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    When I did Atkins about 10yrs ago (gosh.. is it really that long ago!!!) I remember that one of my neg-carb tricks was Wholenut peanut butter on multigrain Ryvita. Apaprently there's so much fibre in Ryvita that in a low-carb diet it scores in single figs. And Whole Earth (or Waitrose Essential) Wholenut peanut butter is protein rich. :bigsmile:

Celery and cottage cheese is also a BIG fave of mine...in fact anything with cottage cheese. :tongue:

I also love pecan nuts, but have given them a bit of a wide berth only because they are calorie rich and at the moment I'm really focused on keeping to 1200 and like you I could do some serious damage and pig out on pecans :laugh:
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    It says I can't order from Graze.com. It must be foreign?
  • glypta

We have Graze in the UK, I've ordered from it before (my next box should arrive tomorrow...)?
  • It says I can't order from Graze.com. It must be foreign?

It is UK only :) x
  • glypta
    When I did Atkins about 10yrs ago (gosh.. is it really that long ago!!!) I remember that one of my neg-carb tricks was Wholenut peanut butter on multigrain Ryvita. Apaprently there's so much fibre in Ryvita that in a low-carb diet it scores in single figs. And Whole Earth (or Waitrose Essential) Wholenut peanut butter is protein rich. :bigsmile:

Celery and cottage cheese is also a BIG fave of mine...in fact anything with cottage cheese. :tongue:

I also love pecan nuts, but have given them a bit of a wide berth only because they are calorie rich and at the moment I'm really focused on keeping to 1200 and like you I could do some serious damage and pig out on pecans :laugh:

I have the Whole Earth PB, feck me it's yummy. And part of the problem. Smeared on an apple *drool*
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Let's see:

*a little "happy plate" of olives & cheese! Maybe a few nuts added, or even a turkey roll up.
    * Mix cream cheese with some dill & basil & garlic powder (or really whatever spice you like). Use that as a dip for red pepper strips and/or celery.
    * Avocado and shrimp cocktail!

I will occasionally go over on calories, but try to stay low on carbs.
    :drinker:

Um....YUMMY!!! My stomach is growling now!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    I will try to keep my snacks/ desserts/ treats worked into my calorie count. But here are a few ideas:

-sugar free lemon jelly (jell-o) with a little whipped cream, sweetened with a tiny bit of spenda and a bit of lemon juice/zest added.

- Sugar free orange jelly (Jell-o) with a little whipped cream, sweetened with a bit of spenda and a bit of cocoa powder added to make it chocolatey. This is like a Jaffa cake dessert!!

- Mushroom pate/loaf , mixed mushrooms cooked and blended with a little butter, fresh tarragon/parsley & a beaten egg. Bake in a loaf tin for 20 mins and slice.

- Breadcrumb-less scotch eggs

- cheese savoury (grated cheese, mayo & spring onion) topped portabello mushroom cap.

Like I say- some are pretty calorific but I work them into my allowance.
  • glypta

- Sugar Free Jello + Whipped Cream
    - Low Carb Chocolate (or favorite flavor) Protein Shake + Heavy Whipping Cream

Good idea on the low carb chocolate, I hadn't thought of that actually as I try to eat clean (I know cake's not clean, but cake is what occupies my daily thoughts...). Atkins, or are others nicer (I'm in the UK)?
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 421 Member
    Sure fire way to kill my cravings, make me feel full and is def low calorie AND low fat.... is a bowl of homemade cabbage/veggie/beef soup. Put more broth in your bowl then substance and you will be shocked at how full and satisfied you get!!!
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member

It is UK only :) x