My feet

Options
i was so proud of all the walking I have done. I went from couch potato to walking 15 miles in 6 days! But yesterday after my 2.6 mile walk I had blisters on my heels so bad one was bleeding. I have shape up sketchers. They never hurt at work and I'm a nurse who is on my feet a lot. I walk on a gravel country road. Could it be the road surface or do I need walking shoes? My heels are so sore. I hate that I won't be able to do my favorite exercise for a couple of days while my feet heal.

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'd get some proper shoes. I've heard several people comment on this kind of problem with skechers.

I know it's not fabulous, but if you stick a couple of plasters on those blisters, you could still get out and walk....
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If pain is not just from blisters, you might have heel spurs. I do and they can get painful. I take max dose of OTC Naproxyn when they flare up. Might not be an option for you but when I 1st got them I bought a stationary bike, something I could do when other excercise was painful.
    Sounds like your shoes may be a little wide, could try xtra sox?
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your shoes don't fit you properly. I don't know where you live but go to a proper store where the staff can advise you on how your shoes should fit, lace them up tight and wear good socks.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You need walking shoes. I'm a nurse too - I live in my danskos at work, but there, despite the fact that I'm on my feet all day, it's still short walks up and down the hall followed by a stop which allows my feet (and especially my heels) to cool down for a minute. Get yourself off to the local outdoors store and pick up a pair of lightweight hikers if you're planning to go the gravel road/trail route, or a pair of trail runners if you're planning to increase your speed to running. And moleskin is your friend until you get some calluses...
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I have Sketchers Shape Ups that I wear for work. I work in a restaurant, and sometimes do 6-8 hour shifts and my feet hurt a lot less after switching from my old work shoes. However, I do not use these for exercise, walking or running. I would suggest getting some trainers specifically for walking or cross training. When it comes to feet, I am really sure to get a shoe designed specifically for what I am doing.

Also, I would suggest pampering your feet at night. I use some great Tea Tree lotion, and Avon Lavender foot masks, and take nice hot sea salt baths. If you are using your puppies that much -- work and walking -- they may need a little extra love! :)

Great job on your transformation from couch potato to super walker! Keep up the great work!!

Lucy
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I read that those shoes aren't good for you. They ruin your natural stride. I have never tried them though. There are a few lawsuits.
  • irishredgirl70
    irishredgirl70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I am heading to a shoe store this weekend to get some proper walking shoes! I will do cardio workout inside until my heels are better,thanks again.