If You've Hit the 3-Mile Run Mark!

Options
I am training for my first 5K and can consistently run the three miles without stopping no problem. Today I finished this feat for maybe the sixth time, but for the first time felt like the time went by fast and it was almost easy! I just can't believe how much progress I've made in one month of street running.

So, I would like anybody who has reached the three-mile goal milestone recently to post here and share their story. It makes me feel good knowing there are others who are at just about the same pace as me.

I am at about a 9-10 minute per mile pace, depending on how heavy my legs feel that day. I have been running every other day and usually not on weekends, so three times a week about. A high school track has helped, but they kick me off when school starts so it kind of stresses me out running there although I get a perfect measure of my pace because of the exact distances of the track. Don't have a fancy phone with aps yet, just an old blackberry that's slow.

So, who else has just reached the 3-mile mark? Let's celebrate our milestone!!

Replies

• syguy
    syguy Posts: 35
    Options
    I've just run my first 5k (3.1mile) last weekend, hoping to replicate that success this weekend !

I have an android phone and am using sportstracker but I know you can get endomondo (http://www.endomondo.com/ - similar with route tracking) for blackberrys, depending on model you maybe able to get something that will work with your phone !
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I've just started getting to 5k without stopping. I find the first 10 minutes the hardest and then it feels as if I'm on auto pilot and could run forever. Well, maybe not forever, but maybe a few more kilometers. Of course, I haven't tried that yet!
  • johnny_k
    johnny_k Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have hit the 3 mile mark (thanks to C25K) and now working on adding more distance. I like to use http://www.walkjogrun.net/ to map my runs, the distances seem very accurate.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Soo....
    I've been working out for awhile now and getting nowhere at all or least that's what I thought...I've been trying to lose weight and the scale just hasn't moved, so I thought I was failing.
    I get bored easy so I switched things up and started Couch to 5 K (9 week program). I do this 3 times per week and on Sundays I time myself. I run as long as I can without stopping. Here's the results so far :
    Starting time 5 min
    Week 1--10 min
    Week 2--14 min
    Week 3--22 min
    Week 4--44min!!!!!
    I have challenged myself every week to increase my time. I ran 3.03 miles in 44 minutes and I was so damn happy I cried...yes there I was sweating...walking to cool down, drinking my water and crying because i was always that person that envied those running in the park. I wished I could do that...and dammit NOW it's me!!! So I'm thinking that maybe I am way more physically fit than I thought I was. Failure? Oh Hell no! I am ahead on the C5K program and I am going to finish it. I registered for my first 5k Oct 30th I will kick it in the *kitten*!!
    I've learned that the scale can't be how I determine my success....I freaking ran for 44 min THAT is success! When I'm done with that...it's 10K.
    Thanks for letting me share this...Some people just don't get "it".

~Dawn

~Dawn
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I don't know if mine counts. I hit the 3 mile mark about 2 months ago....but am now running as many miles as I want really. The only thing keeping me from doing a tobacco is the hills. I run hills for the most part and am up to 9 miles in my reining for the half marathon next month.

It feels great to just keep going without stopping.
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You are so right that the beginning is the hardest, especially mentally. I want to quit immediately and think what a crappy idea it was to even WANT to do that with my morning. Then when the auto pilot kicks in, I have now stopped at the 30-minute mark because I don't want to over-train for my first race. But I know once that is accomplished it's only my mind stopping me from going further. I think that part has already clicked in!
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I just started doing 3+ mile runs ( 9 min miles ) a few weeks ago. As a Yo-Yo dieter I can tell you that it don't take much to let the ability slip away. I am glad that I can do it again.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    It feels great to just keep going without stopping.

Ya this!
    You are so right that the beginning is the hardest, especially mentally. I want to quit immediately and think what a crappy idea it was to even WANT to do that with my morning. Then when the auto pilot kicks in, I have now stopped at the 30-minute mark because I don't want to over-train for my first race. But I know once that is accomplished it's only my mind stopping me from going further. I think that part has already clicked in!

You really do get to a point where you realize..."Hey I can keep going." and it becomes this mind game about how far your brain can convince your body it can go.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    My farthest straight run I've done so far is 2.1mi. 20-22min of straight running is a looooong way from the less than 60sec that I started at. I should be almost healed up from my surgery a few weeks ago, and can't wait to get back to my runs and achieve that same goal of a straight 5k. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!