My son - AGAIN!!!!!

Looks as though my son has done another walk about!
His girlfriend is comign to dinner tomorrow night, and she text me yesterday asking if, when she gets here, would I mind if she sat on his lap!
I naturally said, yes I would mind! She is only 16, and he is still 17.
We have an 11 year old son too, and do not feel this kind of behaviour is aceptable.

He got a proper strop on, and been in a bad mood with me ever since, he went out abotu an hour ago, claiming to have something he has to do in town, I tried to ring him asking him if he would mind pickign something up for me, he kept hanging up, now his phone is off again - these are all tell tell signs that he does every time, always the same pattern.

I've just spoken to his GF, but she doesn't seem overly concerned! I asked if he was with her, she said she's not heard from him since this morning, yet they text each other constantly.

I just don't know what to do for the best, as I say, I've seen the same signs over and over again, if he has gone off again, this will be the 5th time in 8 months!

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Looks as though my son has done another walk about!
    His girlfriend is comign to dinner tomorrow night, and she text me yesterday asking if, when she gets here, would I mind if she sat on his lap!
    I naturally said, yes I would mind! She is only 16, and he is still 17.
    We have an 11 year old son too, and do not feel this kind of behaviour is aceptable.

He got a proper strop on, and been in a bad mood with me ever since, he went out abotu an hour ago, claiming to have something he has to do in town, I tried to ring him asking him if he would mind pickign something up for me, he kept hanging up, now his phone is off again - these are all tell tell signs that he does every time, always the same pattern.

I've just spoken to his GF, but she doesn't seem overly concerned! I asked if he was with her, she said she's not heard from him since this morning, yet they text each other constantly.

I just don't know what to do for the best, as I say, I've seen the same signs over and over again, if he has gone off again, this will be the 5th time in 8 months!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    My mother said that nature makes teenagers aggravating so you will be ok when they finally leave the nest! :wink:

At 17 it is time for him to know there are consequences, as hard as it might be maybe it is time to take the phone away (if you pay for it) and let him know that you love him but he is disrupting the home and if he chooses to leave like that again he might not be welcomed back.

My husband was a tool as a teenager and he said one day he came home and the door locks were changed and there was a black garbage bag with 7 days worth of clothes, a pair of tennis shoes and a comb and tooth brush, he said he lived on the streets for about 2 weeks before he crawled back home and got his act together.

Never hurts to learn early that the grass is not always greener!
  • rklein71
    rklein71 Posts: 112 Member
    I just posted last night about my 18 year old daughter taking off because she was mad at her dad. I also have a 20 year old son, who used to pull the same crap. He no longer lives at home and is now someone I can turn to when dealing with my daughter. Your son will get over it and come home. You have to stay strong. If you give in, he wins. No one said this parenting thing was going to be easy. Just remember, YOU are the parent. YOU are in charge. When he no longer lives with you, his girlfriend can sit on his lap all she wants. Until they, requesting respect in your home is not asking too much. Hang in there.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Raising kids is hard work! Everyone is different and there is no manual to tell you what to do. I did go through a rough patch with on of my DD. So I know how hard it is. She is now two semesters away from graduating college, works 2 jobs. She is turning into a wonderful young woman.

That girlfriend sounds like a piece of work! I can't believe the nerve of her at 16!
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    :devil: I also have a son that just turned 17, and he thinks he should do nothing. He doesn't want to get a job to pay for anything. We can't be around each other for too long or we end up fussing at each other. He is in the 11th grade, doesn't drive yet, and just flits around with his friends. I know what you are having to deal with. Good luck. Hope he comes home safe. p
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Thanks guys, my son just rang me - as I was on the phone to the police reporting him missing.
    His GF kept phoning him and he got fed up and turned the phone off! Well, I jumped to the wrong conclusion this time :blushing: But I'm glad I did, cos my son has just told me he has to sort things out, and make this GF know the harm she is causing.

Thanks for listening :flowerforyou:
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Glad everything worked out for you :)
    And with his history I dont think you jumped too far :)