Poor first week...sort of....

Options
Okay. I lost 3 lbs. Which I know is GREAT!!! But...I have about 150+ lbs to lose, and I ate clean all week. Never went over my calories. Went to the gym 4 times, and walked for 35 minutes once. And this was 100% improvement as I was completely inactive before. I really thought due to my large weight I would drop 5-6 lbs at least on the first week.

After the first few weeks...losing 2-3 lbs seems fine.

Is this normal? I have a few friends who are losing at the same time as me...and some who are like 100 lbs. less lost 7-8 lbs! I'm super happy for them...but just can't figure it out.

Any advice? Any tips?

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I would say you are doing just fine.
  • hillyhilly
    Options
    I do have less to lose than you but I always take a week or two to persuade my body to part with some of itself - some people start quick, others don't we're all in it for the long haul.
    Don't get disheartened, you're doing really well and setting good habits that will get you to where you want to be.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I think 3lb is a great start. You need to be patient and consistent. It will all add up in the end. I know we always want one more lb, but you are here for the duration. Embrace the process.

Best wishes.
  • TooFatToFit
    TooFatToFit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    3lb in a week is awesome!!! You're doing fine. Permanent weight loss usually is the kind you get to the slow and steady way. Maybe your friends lost more water weight then you (how are your sodium levels?), or were just lucky...but you've done good!
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You didn't get overweight in one day and you won't lose it that way either.

Everybody's body is different. 5-6 lbs is the max you can lose. Your metabolism may affect that and your weight loss will be slower, but it looks like you ARE losing, so don't give up just because it doesn't magically melt off your body.

Weight loss is hard work...physically and mentally.

Take yourself over this mental hump and keep on plugging along! Before you know it, that 150 lbs will be history!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Every body is different. I only lost a pound the first week. But I have weeks were I lose five pounds and weeks where I lose .2 pounds (I'm doing the exact same thing to my body). But three pounds is seriously amazing. You're headed in the right direction, so it doesn't matter how fast you lose it.
  • victor73
    victor73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't give up! When I first started, I only lost 2lbs a week, but I kept it up and a few weeks later, I had lost 5lbs in one week. Don't get disheartened when you lose any amount of weight. Just think of it as exactly that: you're losing weight! Even if I've only lost 1 pound, it's 1 pound in the right direction.

Also, remember that the scale isn't the only way to measure change.
  • repertoire
    repertoire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I know its a long slow process...and I'm certainly not discouraged or giving up. It's just I always see very large people dropping a ton during the first couple weeks...and I was hoping to be one of them :) But I'm happy to be slow and steady :) It's just such a LONG journey for some of us...the numbers can be a bit intimidating!
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    your doing an amazing job!! every one is diffrent and will lose at diffrent rates

it has taken me 21months to lose 52lbs and everyone that has replied has
    said the nearly the same thing
    it is a long haul journey not an overnighter!!!

you are doing great keep up the good work and you will get there
    Vicky xxxx
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    To me that shows that your diet didnt have that much sodium in it before you started. People who lose large amounts in the first week have lost mostly water, which comes from having a high sodium intake in their old way of life.

Remember, it takes a 3,500 caloric deficit to lose 1lb of fat. This can come from diet, exercise, or preferably both. That guy who lost 8lbs in that first week..did he really make a 28,000 calorie deficit in one week? Doubt it...

So to lose 3lbs a week you would have to make a weekly deficit of 10,500 calories. This puts into perspective the length of the procedure, hence why we say its not a "diet", its a lifestyle change.
  • Linnybear1974
    Options
    takes a while for your body to catch up, bet you see a big loss next week.
    Keep at it! x