supplements that help and you notice!

Options
What supplements or vitamins have people taken that they actually notice they feel better or are helpful in losing weight?

For me chromium really makes a difference and Vit C keeps me healthy! I never notice a difference with multivitamins though.

Replies

• Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Bump....cuz id like to know too :)
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I take B-12 and it makes me feel more alert and have more energy. I also take green tea extract but I am not sure if it helps any, some people claim it helps speed up your metabolism
  • LisaRDavis
    Options
    Bump, I have the same question
  • andyloosbrock
    andyloosbrock Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just started taking Flaxseed since it is 3, 6, & 9 instead of plain old Omega 3 Fish Oil. I like it!
  • PlumLovin
    Options
    I take Super B complex with C. I noticed a huge difference in my energy levels the first day I took it. That is the one vitamin I will not do without. Try it & let me know how you feel.
  • MissD89
    MissD89 Posts: 102
    Options
    Good question! BUMP!
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I take B Complex, as well as vit D. (helps with rheumatoid arthritis. I also eat Chia Seed: it contains lots of Omega-3s and it is packed with other nutrients and antioxidants.
  • kevpartner
    Options
    Surely you should only be taking supplements if you're not eating a healthy diet?

In my view, the whole supplement industry is a huge rip-off. Eat a varied low fat diet with plenty of fruit and (unless you have a specific medical condition) you shouldn't need any supplements.

There's a book called "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre (he writes a column for The Guardian in the UK) - recommended reading for anyone tempted by pseudoscience.
  • KarenLipana
    Options
    :huh: :huh: its all in the mind:huh: :huh:
  • FriarF
    Options
    A varied diet doesn't give you everything you need. For example you get very little vitamin D from your foods, and unless you spend a great deal of time outdoors your not going to get enough of it per day.

Some of the omega 3 oils are the same way, unless your eating fish daily your not going to get what you need.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Just taking calcium here b/c the max I get a day is 1 35-cal yogurt cup and 1 cup 1% milk which is <30% DRI.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    DHA found in krill or wild fish oil. This is an omega 3 fatty acid; most people are deficient in it because our diet overwhelmingly provides mostly omega 6 fatty acids--the ratio of 3 to 6 should be 1:1 whereas it's typically 1:15 We not only have to increase consumption of omega 3 but have to decrease the omega 6 fats.

This blogger compares sources--note that while ALA is an omega 3 good for infants and children, the best for all ages is DHA:

http://weightoftheevidence.blogspot.com/2006/10/omega-3-and-omega-6-food-sources.html

For instance ... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909
    Yes, Grandma was right about taking your cod liver oil!
  • andyloosbrock
    andyloosbrock Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I wonder if I shouldn't have my wife stop somewhere today when she is at her doctor and get me some b-12. I already take 5 pills every morning. 2-multis, 2-flaxseed, and 1-vitamin c.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    ASTAXANTHIN @ 8mg daily (start with 4mg first 30 days)

SPIRULINA @ 9g daily (start with a low dose, working your way up to 10g over a two-month period)

MEGA-ZYME (Taken on empty stomach to strenghten immune system; take with food to help with digestion)

For mental health: LITHIUM OROTATE, DHEA, ST. JOHN'S WORT, and 5-HTP.

In addition to the above, I take B9, B12, B-Complex, Calcium Orotate, Magnesium Orotate, Potassium Asporotate, Zinc, Omega Plus, CoQ10, D, K2, Ester-C, Liquid Iron, Glucomannan, Krill Oil, Biothin.

I'm going to add MSM (methylsulfonylmethane): a potent antioxidant.

I would recommend readying about supplement and vitamins, regarding best combinations. I spread my supplements throughout a 12-hour period (before meal, with meal, after meals). For example, don't take B12 with your other B vitamins, don't take Iron with calcium, etc.

I weaned myself off of prescription medicine two years ago. (I was on various anti-depressants for over 20 years!) I now feel tons better. I don't feel tired. I don't take marathon naps. (On meds, I could easily sleep away weekends.)

Most important: WATER -- Stay hydrated. Let the color of your urine be your guide. It should be almost clear.

A great place to learn about supplements is MERCOLA.COM -- extremely informative web site!
  • arlo1028
    arlo1028 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also take a vit for calcium and another for liver. I also take a fat incinerator before a workout, gives me energy. IMO, I think it works :smile:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I take a good multi because I know I don't always eat what I should. I take a B complex and it keeps me going, I don't have that "2:30" feeling anymore. I also take a D, it seems to keep the "blahs" away in the winter months. I am thinking about adding one of those 3-6-9 omega caps because I know I don't always get the healthy fats I should.
  • stephaniej05
    Options
    Surely you should only be taking supplements if you're not eating a healthy diet?

In my view, the whole supplement industry is a huge rip-off. Eat a varied low fat diet with plenty of fruit and (unless you have a specific medical condition) you shouldn't need any supplements.

There's a book called "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre (he writes a column for The Guardian in the UK) - recommended reading for anyone tempted by pseudoscience.

Supplements are designed to fill in our nutritional gaps. Check out Food Matters.. I take a multi, cal-mag-zinc, and a fish oil.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Last week my doc gave me some blood tests, I was low on D3 and he explained how important it is. So he gave me 1000mg of D3 twice a day to take for one month and then wants me to continue to take 1000mg once a day after that.

I have lost more this week than I have in a long time, so I hope this is that I really needed.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I notice a major difference since taking omage 3, 6, 9's. I ran out a few times and boy my mood changed. So I know this supplement helps with my moods.

For some reason I can not take B12 or B-complex. When I take them my blood pressure raises and I get a major headache. Once I stop my blood pressure is normal and no heachache.
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody! :glasses: