30DS...first day and have ???'s

Options
Oh my gosh what a workout! I was dripping with sweat when i was done. I have a few questions though, do we do level 1 for 10 days then move on to level 2 and so on? my other question is for people who have alot of tummy if you will, how do you do the jumping jacks without hurting your stomach? after a while i had to hold my tummy and jump! How do you log your workout on MFP? I put in general aerobics and it said i burned over 200 calories but i thought that was a bit much for 20 min

Replies

• sara42066
    sara42066 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing.... i started yesterday.. I think I read some people did L1 the whole time but Im not for sure...
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think most people do each level for 10 days each. However, I think it's up to the individual. Stick with Level 1 until you are ready to move on. I think I did about a week on 1 and got bored so moved on. But then I have gone back to it a couple times to mix it up.
  • Reneda
    Reneda Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm doing the levels for 10days each.. I too had problems with the tummy, etc.. I read someone else's post about wearing Spanx or some other kind of Shaper while you are working out.. I also had to double up my sports bras..
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The general program is to do each level for 10 days a piece, completing it in 30 days without a day off.

As far as the tummy problem, I have heard some people say that spanx help suck everything in. I generally wore a pair of compression bermuda shorts, though. They seemed to work OK.

Good luck! It's a tough program but really effective! I've completed it once and will be starting a second round tomorrow. :)

If you don't have a HRM to track your calories burned, Circuit training, General tends to be the closest.
  • perezy
    Options
    I jump around between 1 and 2 I would consider myself a pretty fit person and I still enjoy level 1 and its a challenge becasue you use your muscles differently in level 2.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    one of my MFP friends said wearing compression wear during workouts is her secret. Enhances your workout, reduces the jiggling AND smooths out lumps - just a thought. And yes, the idea is to do each level for 10 days. At the end of 30 days you will have completed all levels. BUT everyone customizes it for their ability and goals
  • StacyBee92
    Options
    If you think thats too much put in aerobics - low intensity. And yes, you do each level for 10 days. I'm just putting in the DVD to start my day 1!! Was supposed to start yesterday but never got the time! Hope we can stick to it!
  • cmg4721
    cmg4721 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    you are correct, you should do each level for 10 days each to complete it in 30 days...however, if you feel like you need to spend more time on a level (to get stronger or get better at some moves) feel free to do so as well :) Great job starting it!! Enjoy!
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    When I did it I did ten days level one and then moved up. As for the tummy I bought some compression pants (they look awful on :laugh: ) and wear them under my workout pants. They help a ton. I checked into spanx but I could not justify spending that much money on them knowing you will need to change sizes as you get smaller. I went to Walmart and found these pants in the men's workout stuff and bought a size smaller than I would normally wear so it sucks you in really good. Women's stuff I could not find anything.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    When I did it I did ten days level one and then moved up. As for the tummy I bought some compression pants (they look awful on :laugh: ) and wear them under my workout pants. They help a ton. I checked into spanx but I could not justify spending that much money on them knowing you will need to change sizes as you get smaller. I went to Walmart and found these pants in the men's workout stuff and bought a size smaller than I would normally wear so it sucks you in really good. Women's stuff I could not find anything.

Old Navy has a pretty inexpensive and figure flattering line of active wear, including compression pieces. I have 2 pair of bermuda shorts, 2 pair of capris, and a jacket and for all 5 pieces was ~$100.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    How many days you stay on each level is totally up to you as long as your total nr of days doing it ads up to 30, not counting the days you take restdays. But staying more then ten days on the same level is not recomended, your muscles tend to get use to the movements very fast and its key to vary.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    most people log it as "ciruit training, general"
  • oregon_nicole
    oregon_nicole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Even though Jillian discourages it, I do modified jumping jacks. I am to lose 10 pounds, and my tummy isn't the problem, they really bother my knees. On another video on Exercise TV, the modified version is to alternately tap each foot to the side at a similar pace they are doing the jumping jacks, while raising arms above the head at the same pace,also. It is low impact. Sometimes I just march quickly in place (like Leslie Sansone) and engage my arms. I still feel like I'm getting an effective workout. I am still "feeling the burn" after the workouts doing modified versions. I don't like Spanx anyway and won't wear them and I know I would really hate it when working out, but that could just be me.
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Log it under "circuit training, general". I burn 250-300 calories per session. And I wear spandex shorts to help with the tummy issue. if I wear loose shorts it, uh, flops around. Ew.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Are there a lot of jumping jacks? Other impact moves? I haven't done or seen the program; I'm considering it but have had a knee replacement so can't do any running or jumping. Would all of you with 30DS experience recommend this program for me, or should I stick to the Arc Trainer, weights and bike?
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Are there a lot of jumping jacks? Other impact moves? I haven't done or seen the program; I'm considering it but have had a knee replacement so can't do any running or jumping. Would all of you with 30DS experience recommend this program for me, or should I stick to the Arc Trainer, weights and bike?

I am on level 2 day 5 (I think?) and it is hard on the knees. I don't have problems with my knees - except they are weak... you may not be able to do it if you had a knee replacement.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks, cjack19. It seems like most videos and classes have moves I can't do and it's frustrating to have to constantly revise moves and feel like I'm not really getting the full benefit of the workout. Guess I'll stick to what I've been doing. It's great that all of you are getting such impressive results with 30DS though - keep up the great work!
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm all for modifying where you need to, even if Jillian doesn't give a specific modification! In level 1, I don't do the lateral raises with the side lunges. I hold all my tension in my neck/upper shoulders and learned after a few days that that move just made my already too-tight muscles tighter. So I focus on making the side lunges as perfect as possible without the arms.

I modify the planks in Level 2 because after a while my shoulders can't hold me up in that position. (The modification for planks, if you don't know it, is to hold the same position but on your forearms rather than up on your knees- you use all the same muscles but it takes a lot of the pressure off your shoulders.)

If jumping is too hard on your knees, you can take the bounce out of ANY of those moves. I live in a very tiny, old house so I can't do some of those moves full-out because everything would come crashing off the shelves in my living room if I did. :) You can make the move "bigger" (if that makes sense) to keep your limbs moving even if you aren't jumping. Just keep moving and keep your heartrate up and you'll be accomplishing the goal!
  • HerbieSue
    Options
    Oh my gosh what a workout! I was dripping with sweat when i was done. I have a few questions though, do we do level 1 for 10 days then move on to level 2 and so on? my other question is for people who have alot of tummy if you will, how do you do the jumping jacks without hurting your stomach? after a while i had to hold my tummy and jump! How do you log your workout on MFP? I put in general aerobics and it said i burned over 200 calories but i thought that was a bit much for 20 min

Yes, I am also dripping with sweat, doing level three and love it, but can't do it everyday because I don't want to wash my hair every day and don't see how I could not after the workout!
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    I am on level 2 of 30DS and I think I was on level 1 for about 2.5 weeks. I just did level 1 until I felt comfortable and had it memorized basically lol

I can see myself doing level 2 for a few weeks/months. I'm not looking to do this video for 30 days and then stop. I would like to make it my normal daily work out a few times a week forever. I'll start doing other videos also, but I really like the length and the results I get from Jillian.