im always under my target! so why have i put weight on?

Options
what the title says really, im always way off my calorie target so technically i shouldn't be putting any weight on, i must admit iv not bin doing much exercise wise just normal household duties as i have a chest infection and i have a child size portions as i have a small stomach , i know i need to take my metabolic rate into consideration and what not but most days it tells me id be in the 90bl's area yet i fluctuate between 104 and 109lb's any ideas why?

Replies

• thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't eating enough so your body thinks it is starving storing everything as fat.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've been slacking in measuring. Start measuring your serving sizes on everything to keep your log accurate.
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    when you change your routine and start to do less, do you take that into account on your goals? I personallyhave mine on sedintary and if I do a bunch of stuff I log it.
  • Marcieb21
    Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I changed my goal to lose less weight in a week and to eat more I started losing more weight. I think that you body likes it when you change things up. Try out eating more calories for a little while and see how that goes for you, when it doesn't work as well anymore try something else.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? Can you open your food dairy? if we can see it, we may be able to offer better feedback.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you were too thin and trying to gain and that you now weigh less than before you had your child, so I'm not sure why you are eating as if you want to lose. It's normal for your weight to fluctuate a little, especially if you are not exercising much. It's probably just water weight.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much under your target you usually are, and for how long you've been doing it, it sounds like a textbook example of why so many people swear by eating all of your calories and eating back exercise calories. Yes, take your metabolic rate into consideration, particularly in terms of how your habits may be slowing it down.

Hopefully once your breathing issues go away, you can incorporate some exercise. Maybe that will speed things up a bit. Good luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    A weight fluctuation of 5 pounds of so is completely normal. Our bodies do not stay exactly the same weight even throughout a single day not to mention week to week. How much did you gain over how long?
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The less you have to lose, the harder it is to lose it. The less you have to lose, the more fuel your body requires, so you need to eat more to lose.

If you are not getting a certain amount of calories (the "magic number" around here seems to be 1200 but for me it's closer to 1500) AFTER workout calories, your body isn't probably getting enough food. Couple that with intense workouts and/or weight training, and that's probably your issue.

We can't offer suggestions without seeing your diary. If you're eating a bunch of empty calories and not fueling your body, you're probably not going to be losing weight either. Do you track your sodium? Water weight is a *****. You also don't address how long you've been stuck. Are we talking a couple days? Fluctuation is normal. A week or two? Probably a plateau. Unless you're consistently gaining over a long period of time, don't sweat it.

Ironically enough, worrying about your weight makes it harder to lose. Go figure.
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't eating enough so your body thinks it is starving storing everything as fat.

Agree!
  • sammyj321123
    Options
    sorry ill open my diary, i dont log every single day as some times i forget. iv always bin the same with eating never changed apart from when i was pregnant and evan started to loose the weight in the last wks of pregnancy but was told by the midwife it was normal for that to happen, iv always bin a very small eater but was 8st exactly for years then lost too much after my 2nd child which i built bk up but that was due to a hormone imbalance after having lil one and not feeling hunger but i want to keep at 106lbs.
    ill open my diary if i can not sure how to do that but ill give it a go (fairly new here)
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    To me it seems the quality of the food is not very good, and you also undereat by quite a bit. But its quite hard to tell if you are not logging seriously.
  • mellinox1
    Options
    WOW are you logging everything that you are eating?
    If so, you need to eat WAYYY more. Having a slice of toast with cheese on it and a redbull for an entire day is very unhealthy.
    Your body will definitely start to go into starvation mode and store it all - hence the weight gain.

What were your eating habits prior to joining MFP? Hopefully you were eating more than you are now. If so, go back to what you were doing and just do some excercise to tone.

But please, eat more. Trust me it'll help.
  • sammyj321123
    Options
    yeah i know i under eat it's not by choice tho i just cant physically eat any more iv always bin like that for as long as i can remember, i just eat till im full but im still in the process of regaining my appetite as iv bin put on tablets to level out the inbalance which also stop me feeling hunger, i know all about healthy eating and meals and stuff as i used to be a cook/chef in restaurants but it's hard to keep it up as i dont have much time to prepare food as i have 2 kids and recently started my new business so it's a case of make something simple and quick. and i cant always log my food on the occasional days because im so busy so it's not that i aint serious about logging i just dont have the time some days and have more important things to do
  • sammyj321123
    Options
    sorry mellinox1: yes thats everything and it's actually more than i used to eat to, when i 1st got ill i didn't eat for 2 days and lost 4lb in them days, i had alot of problems after having lil one from womb infections to, too much happy hormone and panic attacks so now after 20wk my body is finally back to normal and im able to get bk to normal
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    I have 4 kids. 3 of them are in soccer. I have a lot on my plate. But I log everyday. I dont always eat the best, but I try.

Trust me, there is time.

If you want to log your food and make a healthier choice in your diet, then you will. There is no magic that can help you reach your goals.

You can do it, but you have to be ready.
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    eat more! and more frequently.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    what the title says really, im always way off my calorie target so technically i shouldn't be putting any weight on, i must admit iv not bin doing much exercise wise just normal household duties as i have a chest infection and i have a child size portions as i have a small stomach , i know i need to take my metabolic rate into consideration and what not but most days it tells me id be in the 90bl's area yet i fluctuate between 104 and 109lb's any ideas why?

Ummm, looking at your diary you are eating processed, junk frankenfoods.

Eat real food. Meat, vegetables, fruit, dairy...............
  • sammyj321123
    Options
    im sorry but try saying that to a 20wk old baby that wants attention and a 2yr old that also wants attention, an i dont have to justify myself it's not a competition on who can do the most you know, i add my food when i can and if iv not had the time i dont it aint a crime last i checked we were all here to support each other and give advice not criticism. sorry to be blunt but i dont like the fact your giving me jip for not logging last i checked i wasn't in school and it aint an exam. sorry i dont live up to your expectations
  • sammyj321123
    Options
    also all my meals are made from scratch but i do eat crisps and fizzy drinks which i know is bad but need my redbull of a morning from lack of sleep due to lil one waking 3 times a night