Vegan Dudes

Options
Is it me, or are there no vegan dudes on MFP? WTF?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple on my friends list! I'll send them your way!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Not that I am looking for a guy. I just think its odd that there are so many women and very few men that are vegan. I wonder why?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It's unfortunate. I do have at least three on my friends list, though. So there are a very, very few! I think it's a misconception about veganism that keeps the numbers down, so it's always great to find some.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My Hubby is one also!!
  • Uk_Yogini
    Options
    You can send a few my way too :)
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options
    Here in Asheville, I know plenty of vegan guys. My partner is also one!
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would not classify myself as a Vegan. But for the last week I have cut out all meat and dairy. The only things that I have cooked are the occational pasta, broccoli, and carrots. And my homemade meatless sauce.
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Not that I am looking for a guy. I just think its odd that there are so many women and very few men that are vegan. I wonder why?

I actually have a few male friends who are vegan, but yes, not as many as women. Have you read the feminist theory of meat?

I think a lot men unfortunately feel that "eating meat" makes them a man. I have ACTUALLY heard these words muttered and shouted by many a men. LOL So the thought of Veganism and then the bad press about tofu and having too much estrogen and the fact that men typically have a harder time "being different' than other men (stereotypical football loving, beer toting, swearing, sweating, yard work, meat eating, cigar smoking men," I am not surprised...

Now before any negative comments come my way, i am not saying ALL men are like this. I just think that in the examples of people who are REALLY against Veganism or voice their opinions to my husband for being a Vegetarian (he's called P*ssy and crap at work, so weird to us) that is the people we are dealing with. Which i funny, because my husband loves all that stuff too! LOL He just also loves biking, health, hiking, vegetarianism, books, reading, education, drawing, painting, comedy, dancing etc. LOL
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i am, and i wont exactly call him a man, but my 2 year old is too, haha.
  • SomeVegansAreChubby
    Options
    I honestly feel really lucky to be dating a guy who is Vegan. It's nice being able to share a lifestyle. =]
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Lucky you! I know none where I live - in fact, only know two other vegans, though several vegetarians (and one of those vegans is my roommate who was vegetarian but recently went vegan). So I just appreciate knowing any other vegans, women or men. I was in Portland for several weeks over the summer - and it was pure heaven! To be surrounded by vegans and vegetarians, and purely vegan restaurants, food carts, and even a bar (I don't drink, but my classmates wanted to meet there), and "regular" restaurants that still had vegan options, and knew what vegan was! Here, most people think vegan is the same as vegetarian - very frustrating if you're trying to eat out. But, in general men are definitely the minority in the vegan community. I'm glad to have found so many vegans in general here on MFP. But seriously - takes a strong person to be different in something so fundamental as food, and I think men do get razzed about it way more than women do.
  • kippit
    Options
    I am a vegan!

um....and a dude!

;-)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

I actually have a few male friends who are vegan, but yes, not as many as women. Have you read the feminist theory of meat?

I think a lot men unfortunately feel that "eating meat" makes them a man. I have ACTUALLY heard these words muttered and shouted by many a men. LOL So the thought of Veganism and then the bad press about tofu and having too much estrogen and the fact that men typically have a harder time "being different' than other men (stereotypical football loving, beer toting, swearing, sweating, yard work, meat eating, cigar smoking men," I am not surprised...

Now before any negative comments come my way, i am not saying ALL men are like this. I just think that in the examples of people who are REALLY against Veganism or voice their opinions to my husband for being a Vegetarian (he's called P*ssy and crap at work, so weird to us) that is the people we are dealing with. Which i funny, because my husband loves all that stuff too! LOL He just also loves biking, health, hiking, vegetarianism, books, reading, education, drawing, painting, comedy, dancing etc. LOL

A generalization, but probably close to the mark.

I am working towards being a vegetarian. I was raised in a meat & potatoes family and it was not until I had a health scare last spring that I started really looking at what I eat.

After 46 years of being a carnivore. Trying to eat vegetarian is a more difficult change than losing weight!

I will get there though. One small step at a time! :-)
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Kyle- Yes yes I know it's a generalization, but there is something to be said about it. i totally hear you on the meat and potatoes thing! my dad is from Iowa and so he just doesn't get my Veggie ways but is totally respectful about it! LOL he has also cut back his meat consumption to 1-2 a week as opposed to every day! So that is great! :)

You should totally check out Colleen Patrick Goudreau's "Vegetarian Food for Thought" podcast. It's free, informative, not anti-V bashing (which I find very important) and well- it's great! LOL She is known as the Compassionate cook and I totally agree!
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm a newly made vegan--within the last few months. I was a vegetarian for 15.5 yrs before that. My boyfriend is a meat eater. He HATES veggies. I don't get it. :huh:
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options

Lucky you! I know none where I live - in fact, only know two other vegans, though several vegetarians (and one of those vegans is my roommate who was vegetarian but recently went vegan). So I just appreciate knowing any other vegans, women or men. I was in Portland for several weeks over the summer - and it was pure heaven! To be surrounded by vegans and vegetarians, and purely vegan restaurants, food carts, and even a bar (I don't drink, but my classmates wanted to meet there), and "regular" restaurants that still had vegan options, and knew what vegan was! Here, most people think vegan is the same as vegetarian - very frustrating if you're trying to eat out. But, in general men are definitely the minority in the vegan community. I'm glad to have found so many vegans in general here on MFP. But seriously - takes a strong person to be different in something so fundamental as food, and I think men do get razzed about it way more than women do.

I too, was in Portland a couple of weeks ago and it was vegan heaven! Just within a block of our hotel were a Thai and a Lebonese restaurant. Both of them organized their menus by including a vegan category and a vegetarian category under appetizers, salads and entrees. It made ordering so easy and there were lots of choices. We even went to a vegan pizza place. I may just have to move there someday.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm a newly made vegan--within the last few months. I was a vegetarian for 15.5 yrs before that. My boyfriend is a meat eater. He HATES veggies. I don't get it. :huh:

I could almost say the exact same thing as you, except my husband went with me to see "Forks Over Knives" and that totally changed his mind about eating meat or dairy. Now our whole family is eating a whole foods plant-based diet.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Humans have evolved to be omnivores, hence our teeth.

Then again, you could say we have both molars and incisors to give us choice.

Then again, im a carnivore.

I guess we're all doing it wrong!
  • Vegan_Chick
    Options

I too, was in Portland a couple of weeks ago and it was vegan heaven! Just within a block of our hotel were a Thai and a Lebonese restaurant. Both of them organized their menus by including a vegan category and a vegetarian category under appetizers, salads and entrees. It made ordering so easy and there were lots of choices. We even went to a vegan pizza place. I may just have to move there someday.
    How I would love to be in Portland! Minus the rainy crap. But Asheville is extremely vegan friendly for a smaller city. We have 6 veg restaurants now and even if you go to a steakhouse, they usually have a veg menu. There is this BBQ place downtown called Ed Budreaux's and they have a whole vegetarian page on their menu. I am spoiled!
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. I'm a dude, not a vegetarian or vegan... my wife is. I think it goes to 2 things:

1. I've seen alot of people (especially on MFP) go the vegan/vegetarian route for health reasons and not necessarily humane reasons. Generally speaking, women are the ones that are more prone to do the "diet" route. Its also why this site is probably 70/30 women populated.

2. Women care more and us guys are more OK w/ saying, "Ya, but thats how life is" or "well thats the food chain!" when we hear about animals being treated poorly. I don't agree with this, but I've heard it said many times. Personally, I don't get the whole "I am man. Must eat meat" thing.... thats just ignant! (ghetto slang for ignorant :))

So my wife and I have a deal... I'm simply not allowed to cook red meat in the house (because it makes her sick) and all meat products I buy must first be researched to ensure that the animals are being treated well. Regardless, many of our meals are still vegetarian and almost all of them are the same... except I'll put meat in mine and tofu (or etc) in hers. Oh, and we each have our own pans to cook with, seperate cutting boards, different serving spoons, etc.

Oh, and the last thing... when I'm eating chicken or something like that, the food must be shared w/ the cats because, as she would say, "Its cat food anyways!" :laugh: