Confession: I buy grocery store sushi....

Replies

• SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Ever been to a nice sushi restaurant with 3 small children who don't seem to like Asian food?

I understand this

I am lucky enough that my grocery store actually rolls it their infront of me.....its fresh daily

but i will say i do think it is a bit pricy for almost expired
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Ever been to a nice sushi restaurant with 3 small children who don't seem to like Asian food?
    It's called takeout (some people call it take away)
  • jah7700
    jah7700 Posts: 276 Member
    I do too. Our store actually has a sushi counter where they make it for you as you wait.
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    I take my 3 year old son to sushi with me. Eel/Avacado and Sweet potato tempura rolls for him. White tuna, Eel avacado, and Philadelphia for me. $3 dollars a roll during "Happy Hour".
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Y'know, I have the ability to both eat because I like the taste or eat because I'm fueling my body. I will buy grocery store sashimi and eat it for the fuel reason; if I want taste, I'll go with an excellent sushi place instead and pay a bit more. So, I see no shame in this! :smile:

Being in Vancouver, sushi restaurants are almost as plentiful as Starbucks, and dirt cheap at that, so I feel pretty lucky. :smile:
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Whole Foods veggie rolls are my crack!!!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member

You can even make it at home. THAT is a really fun thing to do, either with kids (they'll be more likely to eat something if they helped make it) or make it part of a girls night, it's not hard to make, it's a bit cheaper...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    DUDE. Rachel. We should get together and make sushi!!! ... but you know what would happen? We'd get together and start drinking, and then we'd just eat the sashimi, because sticky rice is a PITA from what I've heard. LOL.
  • Qarol
    You can even make it at home.
    Please don't frighten me.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    But take out is a pain too because you have to unstrap all 3 kids from their carseats, cart them inside, restrap, etc.... There's actually a place here that'll do delivery (when they don't screw it up).

I DO actually eat real sushi often, but I see nothing wrong with grabbing some rolls when at the store anyway. Today we were there because my 5 year old decided to tell me she needed an apple for school 30minutes before school started, which is of course during lunch time....
  • Rae6503
    Wait. Why am I defending this? I knew it would gross people out and that is why I posted it. Opps. Carry on.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member

;) Wanna come for dinner?
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    I can't even look you in the eye right now. *turning away*
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Wait. Why am I defending this? I knew it would gross people out and that is why I posted it. Opps. Carry on.

LOL!!!! It was a confession!
  • Qarol
    ;) Wanna come for dinner?
    Yes...we can make sushi, too
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Damn straight, don't defend yourself! Food is food. You know what would make sushi snobs curl up and weep? My friend and I, back when we were dirt poor students, used to make homemade sushi rolls with deli meats (like pepperoni) as the filling. One of our friends ate them with ketchup. :laugh:
  • Qarol
    I just think it's sad you pay $10 for a rainbow roll...
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Rachel i'm with you on this one... I get rolls from the grocery store! It's not even a price thing for me..I just don't really care either way! I also make them :O horror of horrors, I know. Now I'm going to run and hide under my desk before the sushi snobs come for me!!!!!!!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I can one up ya... I don't even like sushi but pretended I did just so I would look cool to my friends. There was a hole in the wall chinese place at my college that would make it... and it was super expensive.. so I'm spending money on food, i don't like, just to look cool.

Eat you're grocery store Sushi... isn't going to kill you!
  • Rae6503
    I just think it's sad you pay $10 for a rainbow roll...

But it was half price. If I buy the fresh ones I usually just get the spicy tuna rolls for $5.