Hey!! How does everyone stay focused on their diet?

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I focus on eating less calories and eating more fruits and veggies. The site has also helped me to stop eating so much fat. Heart disease and type 2 diabetes runs in my family, and I realized if I didn't start caring about what and how much I put into my body, I'd start having problems, too. I also focus on exercising more to get my heart pumping.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change here as well. Never thought of it as a diet.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I don't have a system, I just have a way that I do things half assed that seems to work more often than not.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Tell yourself it's not hard...

Yes, this is me. It isn't hard. It's manageable, it's fun, it's a challenge, it's achievable.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm with the other posts....its not a diet....it a lifestyle change.
  • undermajorconstruction
    Options
    When I grocery shop, I buy healthy foods so that I always have something. When I am hungry, I am not going to go through the trouble of going back to the store just for one item. The other night, I had a dream abt pizza ( pitiful, i know) so for lunch I made my own with thin wheat bread and veggies and one serving of shredded cheese split between the two pieces. It was only 250 cals and i was close to full rather than satiated. I also have my diary open to the public so I feel as though I am being held accountable...never know who is watching. Works for me. I have to keep certain foods away until I can acquire more discipline. I know good and well that i won't eat just one serving of macaroni so way for now
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    i don't see it as a diet, it's a healthy lifestyle for me plus i don't want to be as risk with getting diabetes. Staying healthy keeps me focussed.
  • undermajorconstruction
    Options
    Oh yeah, and once you make adjustments for maybe 3 weeks or so, you will notice that it becomes easier...just be patient with yourself and pay attn to serving sizes even if you have to measure everything. I just realized that before starting here, I was eating 2 -3 servings of EVERYTHING in one sitting!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, I don't think most people on here are answering the question. Just saying, "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" doesn't help you maintain your focus. It's a nice saying, but how do you translate that into concrete actions?

Focus is the key to a successful weight loss plan. It was the one thing I sought for years. It was easy to find that initial spark of motivation, but to nurture it and keep it going was the big challenge. This time around, I maintained focus by reading and learning all I could about diet and health and nutrition. Some of the books were useless, at least in content, but what they did achieve was to keep me FOCUSED. Each book would spur me onto something else until finally one day, I watched the documentary, "Forks Over Knives", now available on Netfix. What this movie did for me was to change my entire perspective about the role of eating in my life. That was all I needed. It's like someone just gave me glasses and I can see for the first time.

So, my suggestion would be, in order to stay focused, continue using all the tools MFP has to offer and read, research and study. This weight loss journey really needs to be a major part of your life because the second you put things on autopilot, old habits will creep back in and before you even notice, the weight will be coming back.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a single mindedness lately when I exercise. I see that end goal and I want to get there. Something in my brain switched. Not sure what it was. Maybe all the encouragement I receive on a daily basis from friends and family. Maybe being able to wear a size I haven't been in high school is the motivator for me. Not sure what it is....BUT I LIKE IT..and I am going to keep going because it feels good.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If it seems impossible, then start by making small changes. Cut out or cut back on soda or some other vice. Then cut back on other things that may be high in calories.

Make small substitutions, like seltzer water instead of soda or olive oil instead of butter. Make your own foods that taste yummy but are lower in calories.

Don't set yourself up to fail by cutting everything out of your life and eating chicken breast and steamed veggies (I just can't stand these things more than 1 every two weeks) for every meal. You will quickly hate your diet if you do this and revert back to your old ways.
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Agree with everything everyone has said, and also thinking back to how I was and how far I've come. Not just in terms of weight but in my eating habits too and fitness.

Besides I like healthy food, so I suppose that helps.

It's also important to change up your "menu" (don't eat the same thing every single day, you'll lose motivation really quickly if you do!)
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I took it in steady steps and set up rewards. It took me 6 months to get with the program (completely).

For example, reward for self for logging for three weeks (regardless of how much I ate).

Then tried to stay within calorie goal (regardless of what I ate).

Then starting playing around with healthier ways to eat and cook (got some great meals that make me feel full and are low cal and high protein).

Walked around the block.

Reward for walking 3-5x weekly for 90 days.

Rewards are never food related.

Starting liking how I felt, started seeing scale drop, increased exercise.

Now my entire grocery cart is full of fruits and veggies.

Now, I swim and am doing Ripped in 30 days video and I can't imagine going back. I FEEL GREAT. I love being FIT!!!! Folks are noticing. I bought some new clothes. My kids are proud. I have a lot more to do, BUT, so far so good.

AND MOST OF ALL, I'M ON MFP ALL THE TIME. It really helps getting ideas, encouragement, and motivation from others. Read success stories when I can.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to have what I want...as long as I'm within my calorie. I look at my calories like they are dollars...do I really want to spend $200 on a donut? Some days I do...some days no way.
    This is a very good way of thinking. I like it.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Semi-related.

I've occasionally posted a pic of me looking my worst, or me looking my best as wallpaper on my computer. Motivates me to stick with my routine and diet. I've heard of some people putting up an unflattering photo of themselves on the refrigerator as well.

Biggest temptations for me is when I'm goin out to eat with friends. Feel so lame ordering salad + chicken. Ahh well.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Staying focused? The first thing I did was read sucess stories and introductions on here. I started friending people who were in the same boat as me. I have the app on my phone and use it obsessively! Everything gets logged before it goes into my mouth. Cannot even begin to tell you how many calories this has saved me from eating that I didn't really want anyways. I set my original goals in decades. I have 80+ to lose so every ten pounds I get a reward! My brain sees my ticker and says....hey in 8 pounds I get ___________!

There are so many incredible tools available through this site. I am on here more than I am on FB anymore! Use them! They work. Ohhhh and add friends like me or another great one is Kandrews24! She is an absolutely incredible woman who is great at supporting people!
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am more addicted to MFP than facebook and MFP makes it so easy for me to stay focused. I am kind of obsessed, but that works for me.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I am more addicted to MFP than facebook and MFP makes it so easy for me to stay focused. I am kind of obsessed, but that works for me.

OMG I am soooo obsessed over MFP!
  • tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    try not to let yourself get TOO hungry or you will binge. small snacks through the day helps you stay level headed about the food intake. same with sleep deprivation - tired people eat to keep themselves awake. get more sleep.