Do my goals seem realistic?

Options
In the past I have failed and failed again due to having unrealistic goals.

My goals are listed in my signature, do they seem realistic to you?

Honest opinions needed, but be nice ;)

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'd stop completely with time limits. I like the idea of rewards but sometimes your body doesn't know you are on a schedule and trying to force it into one can lead to disappointment.

I wanted to be back to pre-PG weight by my kid's first birthday. Didn't happen. Still not there. I'm okay with that.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I'd stop completely with time limits. I like the idea of rewards but sometimes your body doesn't know you are on a schedule and trying to force it into one can lead to disappointment.

I wanted to be back to pre-PG weight by my kid's first birthday. Didn't happen. Still not there. I'm okay with that.

I agree with you in a way, but in the past, not having a concrete goal has made me just completely shove it into the back of my mind and it wasn't a priority. I feel like with active, current goals, I will be more likely to reach them! I realize if I don't reach them on time, I am still headed in the right direction, too.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    You want Honesty but you want people to be Nice.

Does not seem you really want the truth.

If I give my opinion it is the Honest truth and not to be mean or hurtful
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    personally, i think they could be doable..like many of us, we never get to where we want WHEN we want, due to obstacles, like gains and plateaus, but it is possible..very best of luck:drinker:
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The goal weights seem reasonable (depending on your height, of course), but I agree that time limits are not necessarily the best approach...plateaus happen, and they can lead you to think, "I'm not meeting my goals!" because you miss a date, when you've actually lost 40 lb and should still be proud. Personally, I find that discouraging, so I set milestones and rewards instead. I set mine in 5 lb increments with small rewards once I reach those weights. As for when they'll happen, well...I'll get there eventually. :smile:
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    You want Honesty but you want people to be Nice.

Does not seem you really want the truth.

If I give my opinion it is the Honest truth and not to be mean or hurtful

I want honesty, but there is also a reason I put a winky face... sort of kidding about telling people to be nice. It's the internet, and I'm not your Mother :)
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I think they are do-able, but don't be too hard on yourself if you work hard and don't quite make the deadlines you were hoping for!! Sometimes unexpected stuff happens... just keep going :)
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I had time limits like you in the beginning but I had to just listen to my body and the pounds still came off slowly but surely, but maybe not necessarily in my time, it's good to have goals but don't beat yourself up if you don't meet them all in a timely manner, it will come if you persevere.
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I think they are good and realistic. I had issues meeting my own deadlines, so i stopped with big dates. My only date now is Goal by my 30th birthday.. 1.5yrs from now.

If you have problems meeting your goals without deadlines, by all means give yourself something to keep you going. :)

And I love rewards. :D:D
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I agree with you in a way, but in the past, not having a concrete goal has made me just completely shove it into the back of my mind and it wasn't a priority. I feel like with active, current goals, I will be more likely to reach them! I realize if I don't reach them on time, I am still headed in the right direction, too.

Ah, sorry, posted before I saw this. If you can take the dates with a grain of salt, and potentially missing dates won't make you disappointed, then you will be just fine. :smile:
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options

I agree. Placing a time limit is setting yourself up for failure, in my opinion. Just set a goal to attain and strive for that. If you lose 10lbs by Thanksgiving, GREAT... if it takes until Christmas then that is perfectly fine too. The point is you're going in the right direction. Example:

-5lbs: new boots
    -7lbs: pedicure
    -12lbs: new outfit
    and so on.
  • sshields1975
    sshields1975 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of rewards to when you get to a weight you want to be at. Do you have to put a date in when you set your mini goals?
    Then you have something to work toward and your body can adjust as needed.
  • dvmitchell0784
    dvmitchell0784 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think this depends on your personality. Yes, I think they're very doable. But what happens if you don't reach them? Eh, scratch it? I agree with the first poster in that you should set goals, but not timelines necessarily because they can be very discouraging and you even said that you had a problem with unrealistic goals. If you need the timing, though, then sure...I think they're attainable (without knowing your plan).
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think they seem perfectly attainable, but by putting the time frames on there you may add undue stress to yourself. Shoot for that first one and see how it goes from there.

Careful you don't become so wrapped up in reaching those goals that you deprive yourself completely just to reach them. Your body will revolt. Then when you reach your ultimate goal you might go on a binge.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    The goal weights seem reasonable (depending on your height, of course), but I agree that time limits are not necessarily the best approach...plateaus happen, and they can lead you to think, "I'm not meeting my goals!" because you miss a date, when you've actually lost 40 lb and should still be proud. Personally, I find that discouraging, so I set milestones and rewards instead. I set mine in 5 lb increments with small rewards once I reach those weights. As for when they'll happen, well...I'll get there eventually. :smile:

updated! I'm 5'6" :)

You make very good points!! Thank you :)
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    not at all lol.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Your goals are awesome, and like you, I need a concrete time frame. But instead of listing ALL of them, maybe pick your first one and a date. That way, if your body doesn't quite agree with your time line, like was mentioned, then you use the next date for your goal and just ERASE the first one. That is what I have had to do. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well it seems to me that you are planning on losing faster at the end when you will probably lose faster in the beginning.
  • Whitneylol
    Options
    I think they seem perfectly attainable, but by putting the time frames on there you may add undue stress to yourself. Shoot for that first one and see how it goes from there.

Careful you don't become so wrapped up in reaching those goals that you deprive yourself completely just to reach them. Your body will revolt. Then when you reach your ultimate goal you might go on a binge.

You're right! I definitely don't want to add unneeded stress, but I feel like if I don't have a concrete date in place it will go by the wayside (as it has MANY times before!)
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    It seems totally doable....as you point out, if you don't reach your goals on time, you know that you'll be heading in the right direction...good luck. You can totally do this :-)