What to wear for my first 10k?

Options
Hi all! I've been working hard to get healthy the past 16 months or so & ran my first 5k in April. It was fantastic! A friend of mine talked me into running a 10k with her that's coming up in a couple of weeks, so I've been training for it & I'm feeling pretty good about being able to run it straight through, no walking. I'll be slow, but I'll do it.

In most of the races I've seen, lots of the participants wear something fun & crazy to run their race so I'm looking for ideas. It's a huge deal for me to be doing this considering I weighed over 300 lbs a year & a half ago & could barely walk 15 minutes without having to sit down. It's going to be an amazing day!

What's something fun I could wear that wouldn't get in my way for that long of a run? I thought about one of those headbands with antennae on it but I'm sure I could do better.

Suggestions??

Replies

• tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just want to commend you, great job. Whatever you wear be sure you're comfy, it is a longer race after all.

I just did race for the cure where people had pink everything - tutus, angel wings, bunny ears.

Maybe a crazy hat and crazy colors of clothes. Also google picks of the rock and roll marathon, I think people get really crazy for that one. Good luck!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, I am so glad you are here now!!! I have missed you so much. Hard to believe we have been together a year now cheering each other on. Anyway, about your 10k...so who is the sponsor? Are you running it solo or is there a group of ya doing it together? I think I would go with some kind of same t-shirt and funky colored tights. I know the hat thing with the antennea would drive me nuts and I would rip it off somewhere along the line. I know you are going to do great!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I missed you too Babs!! It's sponsored by Medtronic (medical device company). Not part of a group, just me, my friend & her hubby. They will be running at a much faster pace than me & they already know I don't expect them to wait, so I'll be running the actual race solo.

@tigeratty, I LOVE the idea of a tutu! I'm going to check out the Halloween store that just opened up near my place to see what I can find. My friend is psyched about it too, she said pick her up one if I find something & she'll pay me back, lol. Whatever I end up with, I'll make sure to share pics!