logging sugar

Options
I've opted to log sugars and sodium along with the standard calories/carbs/fats/proteins, mainly because I was interested, but I was shocked to see that I go over my sugar allowance every day.

Well, not that shocked when I really look at what I eat, considering milk contains a fair amount of sugar along with the 'no sugar added' cereal I have in the mornings, I'm usually over my allowance before lunchtime!

Anyway, should I be limiting my sugar intake to the 37g that MFP allocates me, considering that it was optional for me to track it? or will it significantly affect my weight loss if I carry on going over as I am already? (I don't usually go miles over the limit, apart from today when I ate ice cream :embarassed: )

Thanks!

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Just try to limit the processed sugars you eat. I could be in the red eating apple slices and a couple plums, but I'm guessing it's not going to interfere with my weight loss. It hasn't yet, anyway.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've opted to log sugars and sodium along with the standard calories/carbs/fats/proteins, mainly because I was interested, but I was shocked to see that I go over my sugar allowance every day.

Well, not that shocked when I really look at what I eat, considering milk contains a fair amount of sugar along with the 'no sugar added' cereal I have in the mornings, I'm usually over my allowance before lunchtime!

Anyway, should I be limiting my sugar intake to the 37g that MFP allocates me, considering that it was optional for me to track it? or will it significantly affect my weight loss if I carry on going over as I am already? (I don't usually go miles over the limit, apart from today when I ate ice cream :embarassed: )

Thanks!

I did the same thing and noticed I am always over on my sugar! Hopefully someone can answer the question :smile:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Bumping. It's rare for me to be under my sugar, especially since I <3 bananas for snacks.
  • gertieblueboots
    Options
    I posted about this earlier, and here's what people told me (or the abridged, digest version).

Sugar is no different from other carbs, except that it makes you hungry and does not fill you up. Those who exceed their sugar allowance are far more likely to overeat because it's going to make you feel hungry.

I exceed mine every day too, and it's just like you said -- cereal, milk, and a banana in the morning and I'm just about done for with sugar. Lord forbid I have an apple later -- it's all over!

I think as long as you regularly come in under your allotment for carbs, fat, and calories, the sugar thing is fine.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I think if you are eating natural sugars that is ok..like in fruits but processed sugar is where it gets you. I would like to know the answer to that question too.
  • mare91467
    mare91467 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Tracking my sugars got me off of a 3 month weight plateau. I believe that there are certain people (like me) whose body responds negatively to a high amount of sugar.

I am also the person who did not lose one pound on the Atkin's diet, and I was in ketosis for 30 days straight.

I am an anomaly. lol
  • ajchildres
    Options
    I agree! I am also going over my sugar allotment every day. I did not realize how many sugar grams are in cherries and peaches...wow! I want to limit my sugar, within reason, but not totally cut it out. Eating things that will keep me on this plan is important because I feel if I cut out sugar, etc. I will be miserable and start craving stuff. At least we are more aware!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I only worry about refined sugars that come from processed foods. You shouldn't go crazy on natural sugars, but they are different from refined sugars and you don't have to worry so much about them.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I eat very little processed sugar, and always go over the MFP default target. I think it would be helpful to specifically track if you have blood sugar issues or candida rashes. It might also help to bust through a plateau, but natural sugars abound in healthy foods, and it's very difficult to stay within the MFP allowance if you're eating any carbs besides non-starchy vegetables - especially if your calorie allowance is larger.

You might want to adjust the target to reflect the low values you're seeing on your best eating days as an initial goal. That's what I did - it helps me stay contientious about it while not freaking out because I'm over EVERY day.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think for now I'm not going to worry too much. It's not like I'm eating hundreds of grams of sugar a day. I'll try to keep sugars as natural as possible, I don't eat much processed stuff anyway, and If I stall I'll re-evaluate then.

Thanks again!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am trying to keep my sugar down - I am a lot better than what I used to be - but it hides in everything! Natural sugars are indeed better than added sugars, but I try to not go crazy on the natural sugars also.

Sugar turns up in so many places - you have to be so careful of breakfast cereals, and any processed cereal products in general (cakes, biscuits, muesli bars, donuts, breads, crumpets, scones, pikelets etc), ready or pre-prepared meals, fruits, dried fruits, fruit juices, milk and dairy products; even fresh tomatoes, corn and beetroot. It adds up so quickly.