Where to find better diet foods

Options
The good news is there are quite a few different kinds of diet foods out there for you to choose from. You can buy the foods which will not only be delicious, but will help you to get the results that you are looking for. You can find these foods in a variety of different places. One of the best places to buy diet foods from are the organic farmer's markets. You will be able to buy the freshest foods so that you will enjoy the natural foods which will help you to stay in shape.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I dont eat DIET food, I am not on a diet.. I eat healthy food that I buy at my grocery store. Organic is over used, and I went to a farmers markets and at least in my area they were selling stuff they didnt even grow (just like the store does)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Why not just buy the meats, eggs, vegetables and fruits that are fresh and have to be prepared??
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Why not just buy the meats, eggs, vegetables and fruits that are fresh and have to be prepared??

For real. Learning how to eat a healthy, balanced diet is the key to long term success!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I dont eat DIET food, I am not on a diet.. I eat healthy food that I buy at my grocery store. Organic is over used, and I went to a farmers markets and at least in my area they were selling stuff they didnt even grow (just like the store does)

Technically speaking we are all on a diet since Diet merely means The usual food and drink of a person or animal.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

The big one in downtown Dallas does too....they have some "home grown" stuff, but they also have imported stuff. And it's like my old boss said (and she was in her 60's) "I've been eating pesticides my whole life and I'm fine, so I'm not going to start spending more for produce grown without them now."
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options

So agree here...this is a lifestyle. Diets don't work...if they did we would have only been on one in our lifetime. Eating as clean as possible is great. Smart choices, honest serving sizes, get the pounds off.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I just watch my portion size. I still eat most of the foods that I use to eat. Healthier ingredients but still the same foods. I just eat healthier and get plenty of exercise. No diet food in this house.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My diet really isn't that healthy. I worry about calories more than anything else. I'm trying to eat more fruits and veggies and not as much fat, though.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    All well and good if you actually live somewhere that HAS an 'organic farmers market.' Closest farmer's market is an hour drive one way from me and NOT organic.
    I buy frozen vegetables (as close to fresh as I can get). And the 'health food store" has unbelievably unconscionable high prices ... so, I make wise decisions in the regular aisles of the regular grocery stores... I don't believe in 'diet foods' I believe in preparing my meals in the healthiest way possible and limiting portions to assure that I am staying within my calorie window.
    Personally, I think 'diet' is a four letter word. If something doesn't fit into my meal plan for that day, that is what it is. No diet here, only conscious eating.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

The big one in downtown Dallas does too....they have some "home grown" stuff, but they also have imported stuff. And it's like my old boss said (and she was in her 60's) "I've been eating pesticides my whole life and I'm fine, so I'm not going to start spending more for produce grown without them now."

Downtown is an hour away.. the grocery store is closer :)
  • AddA2UDE
    Options
    Until I found this site, I was eating things that had no taste because I thought they were lower in calories. For instance, I would often times eat a can of chicken for lunch at work because it was easy and better than a cheeseburger. With the help of this site, my lunches taste a LOT better and I am still staying within my calorie realm.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This is true. I rarely eat anything out of a can. I just try to trim the unnecessary calories, like remove the half the bun from a burger, skipping the sugary drinks, no second helpings, no picking while cooking, or have fruit instead of fries at a restaurant. I never thought those little things counted but when you add up those unnecessary calories at the end of the day, they can equal an additional 300 calories or more and that can make or break your weight loss.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    And it's like my old boss said (and she was in her 60's) "I've been eating pesticides my whole life and I'm fine, so I'm not going to start spending more for produce grown without them now."

Actually I doubt she was eating foods with pesticides. Especially if she grew up eating from a family garden. Home gardeners generally don't bother with pesticides, and they weren't even available in her formative years.

I joke with my mom (she is in her 60s) that she has always been eating organic and locavore. Her family grew much of their fruit and veggies in their garden and even raised pigs and chickens for a while. ;)

I believe in organics. They taste better. If they are local. But I focus on the items on the dirty dozen. Local organic food is fortunate easy and reasonably priced for me to get. But I am willing to pay a premium for certain foods (peaches, tomatoes, and strawberries for example) that taste significantly better when organic. Organics lose if they are coming from halfway across the country or the world. It is better to get something seasonal and local.
  • jeffwaller3
    Options
    I think you have to find out first what you really want to focus on reducing.You can take on a low carb diet or a diet low in calories, as for me I take on low sugar diet since I think it's what I've been taking most of the time. So far it's worked for me.

http://www.weightlosingportal.com/low-sugar-diet/