Help with Protein food ideas.

Options
Hi all,

I have just started working out at the gym, doing cardio (cross-trainer) for 40 mins and then weights, 3 machines on the arms and 3 on the legs, including situps with a fitness ball. I will admit now before we go any further, that I am very new to the gym and a bit naive. I also have lost 18lbs from doing Zumba in the last 6 months. I am worried that if I work out on the weights and do not eat a lot of protein, my work outs will be a waste of time and I won't have any definition.

I know chicken helps, and eggs, but I am not very creative and am quite a fussy eater ! I know, not helpful. So does anyone have some fab ideas for meals ? Bear in mind I have a 9 month old son, so time is a *kitten* !

Thank you :)

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well, there are lots of different sources of protein!

Eggs, are a great one, and very versatile (and quick)

Meats - chicken, steak, lean cuts of other red meat.
    Fish - tinned tuna, prawns, squid,
    Nuts - almonds, walnuts, peanut butter
    Dairy - milk, cheese, yoghurt
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    lentils are a great source of protein (cooks in about 20 min), as is barley (cooks like rice), and buckwheat pasta.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    Good proteins that I've found are skinless chicken breast, fish (tuna, talapia, halibut), turkey burger/lunch meat, shrimp, lean hamburger (93%), almonds/cashews/flax seed/peanuts/sunflower seeds, beans (soy, pinto, lentils, and black beans), and tofu.

Good luck with the 9 month old!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    How about getting some chicken breast and then marinating it in some chilli (I use the ready chopped stuff in a jar as its sooo much quicker than chopping), garlic (again you can get it chopped in a jar!), lemon juice, and touch of olive oil.

I then put this in a foil parcel and put in the oven for about 20mins are so - super high protein and really low fat!

Fish is great - I do the same/similar things with that. Really really easy and gives you time to be doing other things whilst it cooks!

H :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be a ***** but this is a commonly posted topic. If you search through some of the older topics you'll get some great ideas on high protein foods and supplements.

Here are a few:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1787&bih=860&q=+site:myfitnesspal.com+myfitnesspal+protein
  • farrellb2
    Options
    I eat cashews. Also milk they both only like 5 protein per serving but it's better than nothing
  • jakecan4sure
    Options
    protein shakes after your work out and you can use one to supplement a meal later in the day. I also grill two days of chicken breast for my wife and I every other day. Walmart has big bag of frozen Talapia. they are individually wrapped in 4 oz portions. just thaw in a bowl and bake in the oven. Fresh Salmon. I get mine at Sam's club or Alberston's. hard boiled eggs or egg white omlettes fro breakfast. hope that helps
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/protein-amounts-in-food/

Here's a decent source of info on protein.
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i think other people have some great food ideas, but how about protein shakes. I have been drinking this thing called GNC total lean shake ready to go, it has 25 grams of protein in a bottle. I know it also comes in a powder form... but the ready to drink is much more convenient. i like the swiss chocolate flavor.
    other than that like others said, chicken, beef, fat free cottage cheese with pineapple etc.
    good luck
    Bil~
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes for sure!

Or greek yogurt!
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, great to add to shakes or mix with fresh fruit.
  • abbyy182
    Options
    Yes I should have typed it in before I posted, I didn't think ! They all sound very tasty, I will have a shop tomorrow, but I live in the UK and so I will have to look around the supermarkets as we don't have Walmarts, or at least I don't think we do. Thank you for your suggestions. :happy: