HRM calories burned vs. MFP calories burned?

Options
So I'm looking for a good HRM that will bluetooth with my iPhone. In the long run I'd like for the HRM to link to MFP as well. (Hopefully that's in the works since I know it was already requested.) I searched the forums finding that some HRM report higher caloric burn that what MFP reports and some report lower than MFP. What is the general consensus? Do most HRM report higher caloric burns per activity? Is it per brand or a fluke? :huh:

Also, what's everyone's fav bluetooth iPhone HRM?

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The HRM will read your heart rate and base its calculations on that and your height / weight / age.

Everyone's results will be different because of this. A super fit person will burn less than someone who is just starting out, its all individual.

Afaik the iphones bluetooth isnt capable of connecting to your normal chest strap affair, it needs a dongle that goes in the bottom like this http://store.endomondo.com/uk/wahoo-fitness-run-pack-256.html adding an extra £60 to the price. Yay Apple.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have found the MFP reports about 2 times higher than my HRM. Most of what I've seen is MFP being higher than HRMs. I know mine is farther off than most though (probably due to my stature).
  • chefchazz
    Options
    I have found the MFP reports about 2 times higher than my HRM. Most of what I've seen is MFP being higher than HRMs. I know mine is farther off than most though (probably due to my stature).
    ditto
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My HRM says higher calories burned then MFP. And I also have a gofitwear by body media and it registers higher then MFP. Both of these devices are fairly close to each other, so I have to believe they are closer to the real burn for me.