Discouraged- Advice Please

Options
2»

Replies

• val071418
    val071418 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    While I understand and sympathize that the meals aren't as much to his liking, he needs to understand that your health is more important. "He doesn't cook"-well, if he wants something else, he better learn!

LOVE this!!
    This is exactly what I told my husband and my kids (8,7,3) when I started making better food choices!!
    They either eat what I cook, or they make their own dang dinner!! I try and make dinner as pleasing to everyone as I can, and we normally have eaten pretty decent dinners before MFP, (portions would kill me at dinner), but now I just don't eat the pasta as much or the bread and butter that they all eat with dinner. The rest of dinner is eat or be hungry!!
    Don't give up your health goals for him. He better learn to cook cuz if you keep eating crappy you may not always be there to cook for him!!
    Good luck an don't give in!
  • TraceyD70
    Options
    You can "season" the recipes up and give more flavor without alot of calories! Unless, he's a little insecure about you losing weight? Don't get discouraged and give up find other alternatives to get through this little bump!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Honestly, your health is more important and while he may not need to lose weight, eating healthy is important for everyone. Not to be rude, but if he is going to support your goals he should probably learn to cook, but he should also be willing to eat what you make as well. However, as a quick fix give him a bigger portion than you, add some shake on seasoning, or toss him a baked potato with his meal to fill him up more.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    He wants something different let him learn to cook.

this
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Try and figure out a way that you can adapt your recipes to satisfy both of you. The simplest solution is cook with a lot of vegetables and seasoning. They are very low cal and high in flavor. If that doesn't work, see if you can't hold out a portion for yourself before you cover his in that cheese sauce he likes. (Or whatever the situation calls for)

My hubby had very different dietary requirements than I do, and our son would happily live off of a diet of pb&js, grilled cheese, mac n cheese, string cheese, cheese its and pocky. Hubby also has dental problems, so no rice or couscous, etc for him. So a lot of the time, I'll hold out a portion of pasta for my son and only add cheese to it for him. Hubby's will get the veggies he likes, cheese or whatever sauce he feels like and meat. Meanwhile, I've got a small portion of brown rice or couscous for me, with the same meat and veggies, just no sauce. Since the meat and veggies are common to 2 of us, and so is the pasta, its really not as hard as it sounds.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My husband usually makes dinner 3 - 4 nights a week, and is at work at dinnertime the other nights. He's a really good cook - tonight was beef stew, homemade french bread and homemade raspberry crepes. I know he isn't going to cook lighter, and he gets depressed when I don't eat what he makes, so I'm just eating MUCH smaller portions than I used to. He doesn't really like that, but it's the only way I have to control the calories. I've started using a smaller plate at the table. Surprised me at first. but I've found that a smaller plate really is all the food I actually need to not be hungry.

Don't know if this will work for you or not. I won't lie and say it's easy to not over eat when he makes my favorites - it's very hard. But, it's a compromise we both can live with.
  • melissalan
    melissalan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm in that situation with my husband not wanting to diet but we share cooking - he does one night, I do the other night. He is willing to cook healthy food for me if I tell him what to make. (He's a good cook, but hates thinking of what to make).

Could you:

* Give him bigger servings (especially of meat)?
    * Up the taste factor in his half of the meal (i.e. stock, seasoning, sauces, more cheese etc)?
    * Have a chat with him about what foods he likes and dislikes and find recipes that are healthy that he likes more?
    * Realise that as an adult human, there's no reason in the world why he shouldn't be able to learn to cook!!?
    * Chat with him about supporting you - what he'll gain out of it (a fit, healthy wife), what you need from him on this journey etc.?
    * He can have takeaways or whatever while he's out and healthy food at home.

Keep up your good work and don't let anyone put you off!

Cheers,
    EJ
    [/quote

This was a great answer :)
  • dotmertsky
    Options
    I feel sorry for you that you do not have a supportive husband. It sounds like he's trying to sabotage all your efforts. I say send him to cooking school. Your health should take top priority. If he can't understand that then kick him to the curb. Tell him to stop complaining and cook his own food.