Protein? What is it good for?

Options
Hiya!

Sorry if this is a really daft question but I'm trying to create a new lifestyle for myself and I'm a little confused.

Alot of people on the forums talk about protein shakes and needing extra protein but mfp doesn't seem to put alot of emphasis on my page thing. I'm limiting my calories to 1200 a day and do about an hours exercise totalling 350ish calories. I'm on here to lose weight and building muscle is secondary to that.

What do you think? Should I be monitoring/upping my protein? Thank you for you help :D

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    this quote from WebMD sums it up pretty nicely
    Protein is an important component of every cell in the body. Hair and nails are mostly made of protein. Your body uses protein to build and repair tissues. You also use protein to make enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals. Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Love the above quote. It honestly is not necessary to be slamming protein shakes all the time. What mfp has set up for you will be fine. If you choose to increase it, then great! If not, you will still lose weight :]
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    this quote from WebMD sums it up pretty nicely
    Protein is an important component of every cell in the body. Hair and nails are mostly made of protein. Your body uses protein to build and repair tissues. You also use protein to make enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals. Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.

Faster healing and less scarring too if you every have to have surgery.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It is worth noting that your body has no protein storage system. We have ways to store carbohydrates, as well as fat, so that we can use them later when we need to, but protein? Nope.

So making sure you get a bit every day is a very good idea. :)