Sad, but true...........Nutritionists

Options

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im confused whats the point here?

Ummm, it was funny and sadly true....................

okie dokie,over my head since I could not care less about nutritionists

Then why look at the thread? Why?

because I can,and just because I dont care about them does not mean I do not know about them. I was curious to see what it was about. I just didnt get the picture or the humor
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    :laugh: There is a huge difference between a nutritionist and and Registered Dietitian. So FWIW always seek out the R.d. It's a medical degree. :wink:

Agree and SO true! Look for an R.D. or D.T.R., not a C.N.C.!
  • elfie9863
    Options

because I can,and just because I dont care about them does not mean I do not know about them. I was curious to see what it was about. I just didnt get the picture or the humor

Oh Well...your avatars are pretty scary lookin.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

i think it's a joke.

you know, ha ha?
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

Oh Well...your avatars are pretty scary lookin.

i think its a halloween tribute to icp??? are you going as a juggalo for halloween?
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know what to feed my child and no one can tell me to feed her crap! Small kid or not at least she eats healthy!

They told me the same thing! I was in shock! give her a doughnut for breakfast.... WOW! I learned that kids eat the amount of calories they NEED for survival and when they are full they stop and to start keeping track of her growth on her own chart and not compare to "the average" because she is obviously below average. Once food stopped become stressful for us she began enjoying it more, trying new things often and asking to eat.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know what to feed my child and no one can tell me to feed her crap! Small kid or not at least she eats healthy!

They told me the same thing! I was in shock! give her a doughnut for breakfast.... WOW! I learned that kids eat the amount of calories they NEED for survival and when they are full they stop and to start keeping track of her growth on her own chart and not compare to "the average" because she is obviously below average. Once food stopped become stressful for us she began enjoying it more, trying new things often and asking to eat.

This! exactly ! This is why I love my pedi. This is what she does. She says not to bother with the "national average" we only become concerned if there is a change from Apt. to apt. ( IE from 75th to 25th) I fully believe that we create many ED in childhood. :/
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    :laugh: There is a huge difference between a nutritionist and and Registered Dietitian. So FWIW always seek out the R.d. It's a medical degree. :wink:

But, for what its worth, here is a list of the corporate sponsors of the American Dietetics Association: http://www.eatright.org/corporatesponsors

So, the ADA couldn't possibly be.... gently swayed by financial interests. That never happens, right? :wink:

I used to think that whole RD > Nutritionist thing was right but now I'm starting to wonder.
  • TaraTLC83
    TaraTLC83 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    <3 our RD. My daughter is a year old and in the 3rd percentile. Our RD and pedi aren't concerned about her weight per se, but that she is staying on HER curve and not loosing weight. She has had her weight graphed at least once a week since the day she was born.

That being said, we feed her a well balanced nutritional diet with ADDED fats. She gets added butters or oils. Babies and young children need fat in their diet for proper brain development.

I didn't "get" the image and I've never worked with a nutritionist but I LOVE the RDs we have worked with and we've had 3 LOL
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    OMG soooooooo true, they told me to feed my daughter mcdonalds because shes underweight... um excuse me???

That's plain nuts! When did ever mcdonalds served a healthy meal?
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    That being said, we feed her a well balanced nutritional diet with ADDED fats. She gets added butters or oils. Babies and young children need fat in their diet for proper brain development.

Sounds like a good RD! And many might also argue that adults also need fat in their diet for proper brain functioning (not to mention the rest of their bodies!).
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    Options

But, for what its worth, here is a list of the corporate sponsors of the American Dietetics Association: http://www.eatright.org/corporatesponsors

So, the ADA couldn't possibly be.... gently swayed by financial interests. That never happens, right? :wink:

I used to think that whole RD > Nutritionist thing was right but now I'm starting to wonder.

Like all big business. :wink: I'm sure there are many RD sitting the pockets of big business, as well as Dr.s, and dentist, and hospitals, etc etc. etc. I can assure you as an RD (When I finally get to call myself that) No amount of financial interests will deviate my knowledge. :smile:
  • questionablemethods
    Options

Like all big business. :wink: I'm sure there are many RD sitting the pockets of big business, as well as Dr.s, and dentist, and hospitals, etc etc. etc. I can assure you as an RD (When I finally get to call myself that) No amount of financial interests will deviate my knowledge. :smile:

Of course not! I just wonder about the larger body and how financial and political interests might sway the education received and the research that gets examined.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    Options

Of course not! I just wonder about the larger body and how financial and political interests might sway the education received and the research that gets examined.

Oh I can tell you! :laugh: We are heavily influenced and those that are not a true scientist WILL be misguided. The benefit is that one who has medical degree knows and understands how the body functions and the correlation between diet, behavior, and environment and the body. *hopefully* that will take priority over the influence. IDK. I hate how our country is all about big business. :(
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, even someone with no medical background can call themselves a "nutritionist" as long as they get some silly internet certificate. You need to go to a medically certified Nutritionist...someone with a minimum of a Masters in Nutrition. I'm a clinical nutritional counselor and believe me, it's hard hearing what the random "nutritionist" at Jenny Craig tells so-and-so to eat this nasty frozen meal to lose weight. There are some of us out there who actually hold high degrees and know what we are talking about!
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Oh I can tell you! :laugh: We are heavily influenced and those that are not a true scientist WILL be misguided. The benefit is that one who has medical degree knows and understands how the body functions and the correlation between diet, behavior, and environment and the body. *hopefully* that will take priority over the influence. IDK. I hate how our country is all about big business. :(

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just curious about the term "medical degree." What is the definition for that? Again, I just don't know what counts and what doesn't. Wikipedia (not the best, but it came up at the top) doesn't list R.D. as a medical degree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_degree

And isn't the ADA the certifying agency that stands between someone calling themselves a "nutritionist" and a "registered dietician"? (Plus an internship.) I guess that's what I'm getting at -- the ADA might be swayed by financial/political interests and they are the ones administering the certifying exam.

Edit to clarify that I realize that lots of people can call themselves "nutritionists" and that RDs go through specific rigorous classwork that is very science-based and they have a significant internship. But if those people do not take/pass the certifying exam (by the ADA) then they are still "just a nutritionist" right? I am actually listening to an RD right now in an interview and she is talking about how science-based all the coursework was and then, she said (I'm paraphrasing a bit) "It basically had to be completely forgotten to pass the test." (This is Jenny Westerkamp http://jennywesterkamp.com)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, even someone with no medical background can call themselves a "nutritionist" as long as they get some silly internet certificate. You need to go to a medically certified Nutritionist...someone with a minimum of a Masters in Nutrition. I'm a clinical nutritional counselor and believe me, it's hard hearing what the random "nutritionist" at Jenny Craig tells so-and-so to eat this nasty frozen meal to lose weight. There are some of us out there who actually hold high degrees and know what we are talking about!

I beg to differ with people who have high degrees know what they are talking about. There are some Nutrtionists and Dieticians that are so closed minded and brainwashed that they are really no better than the picture I displayed when I started this thread.

A Nutritionist or Dietician that has been that engrained into Conventional Wisdom and won't even open their mind, eyes and ears to alternative medicine and such are only making people sicker in the end. Yeah, sure they may lose weight, but they are no healthier and their body is not healed.

The only Nutritionist or Dietician I will view as knowing what they are talking about is the one that really sits down with that person and personalizes a food eating plan with supplements, whole foods, etc to heal the body. If they are hung up on calorie counting and must eat blah, blah out of each food group - I am sorry but they are not credible to me.

True eating and healing of the body comes when you learn to eat intuitively and give your body the fuel that it needs. Free of cravings and inflammation that embodies addiction to food, especially sugars and certain types of carbs.
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    OMG soooooooo true, they told me to feed my daughter mcdonalds because shes underweight... um excuse me???

When I was pregnant with my first I ended up weighing 30lbs less after having her then I did pre-pregnany. And during all that weight loss...my doc told me to eat two snickers a day......I considered switching OB's.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    Options

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just curious about the term "medical degree." What is the definition for that? Again, I just don't know what counts and what doesn't. Wikipedia (not the best, but it came up at the top) doesn't list R.D. as a medical degree: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_degree

And isn't the ADA the certifying agency that stands between someone calling themselves a "nutritionist" and a "registered dietician"? (Plus an internship.) I guess that's what I'm getting at -- the ADA might be swayed by financial/political interests and they are the ones administering the certifying exam.

Edit to clarify that I realize that lots of people can call themselves "nutritionists" and that RDs go through specific rigorous classwork that is very science-based and they have a significant internship. But if those people do not take/pass the certifying exam (by the ADA) then they are still "just a nutritionist" right? I am actually listening to an RD right now in an interview and she is talking about how science-based all the coursework was and then, she said (I'm paraphrasing a bit) "It basically had to be completely forgotten to pass the test." (This is Jenny Westerkamp http://jennywesterkamp.com)

It's all good, and Im not arguing either :) Just agreeing and stating that while there may be biased information taught; science still stands with the truth. As far as the medical degree goes that is per my councilor at school. I want my MS. I never thought to fact check her :wink: Here are a few links that explain what the diff. is (Yes, some people can have degree in nutrition and the only thing diff. is the internship, a few classes and the ADA test. While others can get a certificate online "in 6 easy weeks"). It's like the difference between having your real estate license and a degree in real estate and being a member of the RA.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    Options

It's all good, and Im not arguing either :) Just agreeing and stating that while there may be biased information taught; science still stands with the truth. As far as the medical degree goes that is per my councilor at school. I want my MS. I never thought to fact check her :wink: Here are a few links that explain what the diff. is (Yes, some people can have degree in nutrition and the only thing diff. is the internship, a few classes and the ADA test. While others can get a certificate online "in 6 easy weeks"). It's like the difference between having your real estate license and a degree in real estate and being a member of the RA.

haha it would help if I put the links! ROFL Hope they are the right ones.

http://www.eatright.org/students/education/starthere.aspx

http://amp.osu.edu/md/1364.cfm
    http://www.csulb.edu/colleges/chhs/departments/fcs/programs/NutritionDietetics.htm