Anyone else check the calories on mfp before eating?

Options
I have been checking some products online before eating them. Especially homemade items that don't have the calories etc listed.
I also have been pre-recording food so that I can see how much excercise I need to do before the end of the night.
Anyone else doing this??

Replies

• pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do this! I already entered my food journal for the day even though we havent had dinner yet, lol. This makes it easier for me not to cheat too. I wont grab a snack later because I dont want to go in and change what I already recorded!
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I constantly pull out my iPhone to check calories when we go out to eat. I'll spend a good 2-3x more than I used to deciding what I want based on calories and, to a lesser extend, sodium (cause you can't seem to get away from sodium in most restaurants it seems).
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ill check items to see what they are going to come in at so I can budget around the day for what I want to eat, before i actually eat them.

Homemade stuff is easy to work out on here as well btw, just create a recipe for it, put in the ingredients and then the servings and the site does the rest for you :)
  • SarahBear9708
    Options
    I definitely do this! It works well for me, except for one or two days in the past few weeks, I've been under or at my goal! :)
  • deenaspell
    deenaspell Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do this, too!
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I constantly pull out my iPhone to check calories when we go out to eat. I'll spend a good 2-3x more than I used to deciding what I want based on calories and, to a lesser extend, sodium (cause you can't seem to get away from sodium in most restaurants it seems).

I'd be one happy camper if I could get away from the sodium when eating out, or from processed foods. I had no idea how much I was going over, until I really started paying attention to it.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Yep - Most of the time my day is planned out (and logged by about 10am) - I then make changes as life happens during the day, but I know the impact of any choice I make on the end result - and it also gives me clear motivation to plan exercise at the end of the day!!

When I cook the meal is logged before I start - so I know what little "treats" I can add or should remove to stay within my calories.....
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    Guilty as charged.
  • littlewords
    Options
    I totally do this.

My dinner for today (because I cook all the meals, I know what it is going to be!) is already recorded, even though I haven't started cooking.

This actually makes it way easier, as I now know if I can have a cocktail (yes) or dessert later, etc.

I almost always add my lunch the night before when I make it.
  • maximkat
    maximkat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I usually plan my entire day in the morning. If my wife or myself is making something for dinner, we almost always get the calories from whatever it is we are eating save the vegetables and fruits which don't normally come with the nutrition label. I'll use MFP for those. I'm very specific with knowing exactly what and how much is going in my body.
  • cv78128
    Options
    I always check as it determines my portion size.. and sometimes if i have it at all.. best bit about it is seeing how much i have left and whether its going to tell me off or not.
    Working away without my iphone is a nightmare..
  • ElyzahMoore
    ElyzahMoore Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also check my calories in advance. Entering my recipes here is a godsend!
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    I thought I was the only one! You mean others have been stealing my ideas! Wait a minute.
  • peddlepusher
    Options
    I do this
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Not so much on MFP, but I'll check a restaurant's website for nutritional info beforehand.
    If I'm eating at home, I've got a pretty good handle on what I have left.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Definitely!! I usually plan out my days the night before so I know what my calories would be like and how much to work out. Sometimes things change, but I always have a guideline to go by. I also check on my phone before ordering anything at a restaurant :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    When I'm grocery shopping and i fancy a change, i look for the nutritional box. It's there no box, i don't buy it, simple. If they want to hide it, its probably too bad and not worth the currency.
  • dedmon
    Options
    I only check foods/calories in between snack time and dinner. Breakfast is usually my largest calorie consumption and lunch being my second. Then I have to budget my late snack and dinner, then consume calories back for after dinner work outs with complex carbs and proteins. (That is if I've logged excercises....I'm so bad about that.)
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Always. Keeps me accountable, and if something springs up later in the day I already know how many calories I have to work with.
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I always prerecord my foods...i put in my "major" meals...breakfast/lunch/dinner... that way i know how much i can snack and then after i exercise mid-day i have all kinds of extra calories i can add in if i want :D