Friend Crash Dieting

Options
My friend at work saw me starting to get healthier so she's back on her diet. The only problem is she's doing what I would consider a "Crash" diet. She's not counting calories, she's counting fat and salt. That's no problem. But she's barely eating anything at all....like half the daily allotment of each. Very small portions. And on top of it she's pushing herself super hard every night working out. Seems like annorexic behavior to me.
I tell her that it's not healthy but all she said is "it's always worked for me. I can lose 60 pounds in 2-3 months." But she obviously puts it all back on, cuz she's on a diet again.
But now she's trying to tell me that my way of doing it is wrong because I'm not losing as much as she can make herself lose. If I eat a normal sized meal for lunch she tells me I'll never lose weight that way.

Replies

• TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    My friend at work saw me starting to get healthier so she's back on her diet. The only problem is she's doing what I would consider a "Crash" diet. She's not counting calories, she's counting fat and salt. That's no problem. But she's barely eating anything at all....like half the daily allotment of each. Very small portions. And on top of it she's pushing herself super hard every night working out. Seems like annorexic behavior to me.
    I tell her that it's not healthy but all she said is "it's always worked for me. I can lose 60 pounds in 2-3 months." But she obviously puts it all back on, cuz she's on a diet again.
    But now she's trying to tell me that my way of doing it is wrong because I'm not losing as much as she can make herself lose. If I eat a normal sized meal for lunch she tells me I'll never lose weight that way.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Well you will both probably get to your goal weights. You will have learned to eat healthier, have good portion control and learned the value of exercise not just for weight loss but also for your health. You will also be able to maintain your weightloss.

Sadly your friend will not only lose her weight quickly but she will also gain it back quickly when her diet is done and she returns to eating whatever her normal is. Most people who lose quickly gain not only what they've lost but also extra pounds when they go off of their diets.

Keep up the good work on your eating/exercise!
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she is not such a good friend.......a true friend I think would be supportive of you on your weight loss journey.
  • hollymires
    Options
    you're way is obviously the best and most healthy way. I have tried tons of crash diets myself...and they are quick...and really motivating! I have lost 100 pounds twice...and here I am again...so they don't work! hahaha Hopefully she will come around and see that there are other ways to achieve the same goal!
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    she's constantly telling me that her head hurts and her stomach is cramped and she's got diarrhea...ewww, all day long. but in the next breath she tells me that i should do her diet with her.
    she did get skinny and she did look good, but she didnt feel good. she was always sick. and after she gained the weight back she was in a huge depression. so i don't think i'll be copying that at all.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Just stick to it! And when your friend gains it all back, help her to lose it the healthy way!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    It seems she has a competitive nature. You might have to tell her as nicely as possible you are doing the weight loss thing in the way you believe is best for you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have never known a crash diet to work, or I wouldn't be here. i finally had to resign myself to the fact that one or two lbs a week is the best way to get healthy. For me it is not all about how I look but how I feel. Sounds to me like you are making the better choice. I know I am powerless over other ppl so they do what they do and I do what I do and its all good.:happy:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    she's constantly telling me that her head hurts and her stomach is cramped and she's got diarrhea...ewww, all day long. but in the next breath she tells me that i should do her diet with her.
    she did get skinny and she did look good, but she didnt feel good. she was always sick. and after she gained the weight back she was in a huge depression. so i don't think i'll be copying that at all.

I think she has her priorities wrong. Losing weight should never be your top priority, getting healthier should be. She may lose weight faster but she is also damaging her body. I choose health over vanity.
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    I do think the competition is part of it. When she had lost all the weight, she was the "hot" one of the office, while I continued to get bigger. I could care less about hottness (at work) because that's not why I'm here. But I do think she doesn't want to lose her title.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Your friend doesn't know what she's talking about. She's putting her body into starvation mode. Eventually, it'll retaliate. And what she's doing is not a lifestyle change, but rather a "quick fix," ie.) a "diet."
  • gmpearse
    gmpearse Posts: 136
    Options
    Congrats on choosing a healthier lifestyle and making that a priority.
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    Ok, I know I shouldn't let her get to me.....
    BUT

I was talking to someone else in the office about bloating up and gaining 2 pounds cuz it's my TOM. Well she IM'd me about how she doesn't gain during her TOM and it's not water weight that I'm gaining. I'm gaining my weight back because I ate McDonalds for breakfast that one day last week. UGH. I've been exercising my @$$ off and it's bad enough that I was stupid and stepped on the scale right now but geez I don't need her mouth.

Ok, I vented.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know I shouldn't let her get to me.....
    BUT

I was talking to someone else in the office about bloating up and gaining 2 pounds cuz it's my TOM. Well she IM'd me about how she doesn't gain during her TOM and it's not water weight that I'm gaining. I'm gaining my weight back because I ate McDonalds for breakfast that one day last week. UGH. I've been exercising my @$$ off and it's bad enough that I was stupid and stepped on the scale right now but geez I don't need her mouth.

Ok, I vented.

In that case I would write her off as a friend and stop talking about all weight-loss with her. Having McDonalds one day for breakfast isn't going to kill anyone! Eating and working out like she does, can. If you have people at work you do want to talk about it with...I would do it through IM or where you know she's not within ear shot of you. :flowerforyou:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of "The Tortoise and the Hare." Slow and steady wins the race...
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she is not such a good friend.......a true friend I think would be supportive of you on your weight loss journey.

Gonna agree with this one.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to have to let this one go. She's absolutely convinced that she's right and thinks you're not. She isn't even capable of seeing that she's following a pattern of starve/binge and that she's done the same thing over and over again in the past. If you point it out she'll just say, she didn't care at the time and that this time will be different. She'll loose weight, and probably do it faster than you do and she'll feel superior and continue to tell you that her way is better.

Smile and nod and then ignore her. Two years from now, you'll have lost the weight, be more fit and toned and she'll be back on the cycle of trying to loose weight again. Try to refrain from saying "I told you so" :tongue:

I've got the same thing going on with one of my co-workers and I've given up on trying to educate her.
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    that's what im not looking forward to....her running her mouth about losing faster. she's trying to get into a bathing suit for a trip to the bahamas on spring break. 2 months and 45 pounds....scary
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

Gonna agree with this one.

Agree too.
    :huh:
  • heyjude78
    heyjude78 Posts: 160
    Options
    :laugh: You should encourage her to look at this website everytime she pushes you to do her "diet". Tell her how great you feel and that she would totally benefit! I love getting my friends to come on here with me!