Eating out

I am stuck in a classroom setting all week for work. There is no fridge, no microwave nothing...,so I am basically stuck eating out all week. There are plenty places to eat but I want to talk about some healthy options in different foods.

What are some suggestions???

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Subway...

Also get sauces on the side for everything you order if possible at other places. At least you can control that if you order a salad and it comes with a dressing.

Look up the nutritional values of things you know are in the area, so that you can be prepared.

Or just bring a sandwich?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    I am stuck in a classroom setting all week for work. There is no fridge, no microwave nothing...,so I am basically stuck eating out all week. There are plenty places to eat but I want to talk about some healthy options in different foods.

What are some suggestions???

Can you pack a cooler with fresh foods? I do this everyday as I work in a remote location that is not near anything and there is no way to eat out unless I am going to stab a cow and eat it raw in the next farm over.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    What kinds of places are you going to? Standard fast food places? I like Wendy's for that. If you're eating out a lot, of course pay attention to your balance of fats, carbs, and proteins, but often times, it's the sodium that'll get ya.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 507 Member
    Bring your own food? Nuts, granola bars, sandwiches, yogurt, salad, pasta, fruits, veggies... I could go on....

Every day on the way to work, my breifcase is overflowing w/ food. If there wasn't a fridge here, I'd get a cooler bag.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    If you gotta eat at restaurants, find the 4 or 5 closest (or ones you'd actually go to) and look em up online. Find the menu and nutrition info and be prepared when you go out. That way whatever you choose, you can be confident its a fairly healthy choice, and you won't be surprised while choosing a 1,000 calorie salad when you coulda had soup and a sandwich for 350cals.

There's books (and someone on here posted a pdf i think) of popular restaurants and the nutritional info. There's usually half a dozen decent options that are half the calories as other items on the menu, and taste fairly similar.

Also, do yourself a favor and try not to drink your calories away. I think on average people drink like 500 calories a day, which is double, or more what they did about 20yrs ago.

I also agree with the lady who mentioned sauces, usually that and dressings will get ya. Stick with salsa or hot sauce (franks, tabasco) vinegar or mustard those'll give a ton of flavor for very minimal calories.