Chili's - Just had the best low-calorie meal there

Options
I don't eat meat and only have 1200 calories a day to eat. Met a group of friends at Chili's for dinner tonight, so scoped out the menu yesterday to figure out what I was going to eat. Well, there isn't much at Chili's that is under 1200 calories, let alone enough less to allow me to eat anything else today, so I opted for sides, which is something I do quite often. I had a side of rice, side of black beans, side of steamed broccoli and small side of guacamole. Poured everything out onto my plate from the individual bowls and it was an amazingly good meal for only 410 calories. Yummy...I will go back for it.

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    that's not bad.
    The chilis I went to has a "low calorie menu" and basically it's just the same menu items without cheese and bread and they're still 700 calories. They need to put more thought into that.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Good idea! We are going tomorrow night. Usually I get the black bean avocado burger and don't eat the bun. SO yummy!!!!!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I hate to rain on your parade but it may have also be the highest sodium meal you've ever had. Chilli's and Applebee's are notorious for extrememly high sodium content and it's worse on their low cal menus.

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/30-saltiest-foods-america
  • babyman10
    Options
    Applebee's does a great blackened talapia over rice with broccoli for 500 cal that is AWESOME!!
  • babymamma4
    babymamma4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Always tough to eat out for under 500 calories. I check ahead before I go and do my calorie count then I divide the meal and eat half and take half home for the next day OR save my money and dont go.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yumm! thanks =)
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I hate to rain on your parade but it may have also be the highest sodium meal you've ever had. Chilli's and Applebee's are notorious for extrememly high sodium content and it's worse on their low cal menus.

Poor sodium, people always talking back about it behind its back..
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Sodium count was 1480 which isn't great, but sometimes you have to make 'the best of the worst' choices when you are in an eating situation.
  • gracemleone
    Options
    I don't eat meat and only have 1200 calories a day to eat. Met a group of friends at Chili's for dinner tonight, so scoped out the menu yesterday to figure out what I was going to eat. Well, there isn't much at Chili's that is under 1200 calories, let alone enough less to allow me to eat anything else today, so I opted for sides, which is something I do quite often. I had a side of rice, side of black beans, side of steamed broccoli and small side of guacamole. Poured everything out onto my plate from the individual bowls and it was an amazingly good meal for only 410 calories. Yummy...I will go back for it.

I don't eat meat either, and have about 1200 cals a day as well, AND I bartend at a Chili's! :)
    As someone already posted, you have to watch out for sodium, I think your choices were good for the most part but just a suggestion; skip the rice, it is very high in sodium, and make sure when you order the side of broccoli, tell them to hold all the seasoning and the garlic butter thing they drizzle on top.

The Chili's I work at is in an airport, so I think the menu at airport chilis is a little different than the normal chili's but here are some things I usually make for myself at work

Caribbean salad no chicken, no dressing (or on the side so you can control how much dressing you put on)
    House salad no croutons no cheese
    Black bean patty with a side of avocados and side broccoli
    side caesar salad no croutons dressing on the side
    side of black beans with a huge side of pico de gallo, add a side of avocado, put it all in a bowl and mix it up

also, this is not on the menu (at least on our menu), but if you ask, they'll make it:
    avocado sandwich with: whole wheat toast no butter, avocadoes, tomatoes, lettuce, red onion, jalapenos and cilantro optional ask for a side of fat free ranch dressing.. pretty good and healthy too!

salad with lettuce, pico de gallo, corn relish, cucumbers, carrots, onions.. just because it's not on the menu doesn't mean you can't have it.. use your imagination and make a tasty and healthy meal, most places will make what you want..
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Chili's suggestions...much appreciated.