My world is falling apart

Options
And I don't know what to do. I graduated with a BA in May. I can't find a job and I get $25 a week for groceries from mom, which is just never quite enough for me to make healthy meals.

I can't find a job. I can't. I keep looking and applying over and over day after day and I don't even get emails telling me no 50% of the time. In four months I've had three interviews. Yesterday I went on campus to meet my boyfriend for coffee (we've been together for one year now!) and I decided to show him the office I had a really good chance of working in: The Asian and Arabic Languages Office.

They needed a receptionist with experience. I have the experience and I have been to all the regions that that office entails: Japan, China, Middle East. I was perfect. I even met with the director to discuss it because the process was going too slow and I was wondering what was going on.

As we walked over to the glass door, there in the office is the new receptionist. I am 22. She looked younger. Yesterday, on an incredibly happy one year anniversary day, I felt like I was in a movie seeing someone else take my place. I cried in the atrium for an hour, my poor boyfriend trying to comfort me. I was so sure that was the job I was going to get.

If I don't have a job in the next ten days, my parents are coming to move me home. They keep telling me that it's not the end of the world--but I would love nothing less than to get very far away from home. I hate home. I hate my parents trying to force me back into childhood. I will have no autonomy under their roof. None.

I'm sorry for the pitiful, pathetic rant. I just feel like everything is slipping through my fingers. I don't know what to do. I've run out of hope.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    But did you stay under your calories today. :flowerforyou:
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It's hard to find a job right now, even with a degree. All you can do is keep trying.

I have two friends with their bachelor's and one is unemployed and the other is working at best buy/petsmart.....
  • XiaoRuRu
    Options
    But did you stay under your calories today. :flowerforyou:

barely. first time in a few days. all I want right now is cookies.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can apply at a temp agency to tide you over until a permanent job comes?
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    Things will get better! Hang in there :)
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am a substitute teacher because I also can't find a job....it's a tough time...and as hard as it might be...you may need to go down to fast food places and at least say you're working and getting an income...that was my next step before I started subbing
  • amfeierabend74
    Options
    I was unemployed for over a year. Went to school to become and dental assistant, and well, that didn't pan out. I just started working again, not at my ideal job, but it is a job. Have you tried applying for things that are not necessarily in your job field? Maybe try a customer service job, or maybe a temp agency? I wish you the best of luck hun!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Moving back in with your parents may not be the most ideal situation but it doesn't sound like you have much choice. It's nearly impossible for anyone to get a good job right now and at least you have the option of moving home. There are plenty of older adults who don't have that fallback. You're young. Just be patient, stay positive and you'll eventually get the job that's right for you.
  • jeffsgal105
    jeffsgal105 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I know moving home isn't even close to what you WANT, but consider yourself lucky you have family who accept you back into their home! Living on the street isn't fun! Does your school have some type of job placement center? Have you considered while living at home interning somewhere just to get experience so it will be easier to get a job? Think of this as a new opportunity, stay positive and focused and I bet you will be surprised how things turn around!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    You're world is not falling apart I PROMISE. The job market sucks.

My significant other has been job hunting for a YEAR and has an MBA. There are TONS of people with degrees who aren't with job right now.
    TONS of people who are and are not with jobs that are living with their parents. Todays society makes it very difficult to make it on one salary. Especially a just starting in the business world salary.

Take a deep breath, and keep looking. If you need to stay with your parents... consider this an opportunity to regroup and try to get the job you want.
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Have you tried staffing agencies? I was unemployed for seven months. Experience. Bachelor's degree. Didn't matter. If you can get your foot in the door through an agency, it can often lead to permanent positions. A LOT of employers are not even looking at resumes of the unemployed. They simply bypass them. Take a job. Any job. Til you can get the one you really want. It is easier to find a job when you are employed, unfortunately. That's why the agencies can be helpful.

Things could be worse. At least you have loving parents who will pick you up while you are down and help you get back on your feet.
  • DrAJ84
    DrAJ84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It is not abnormal for new grads to take up to 6 months to find employment. You will get there. I graduated twice and unless you have a job lined up it takes a few months.
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    Big hugs for you. It seems like you are having a very tough time. The market and economy is a tough one. Have you looked for jobs outside of your degree to get you buy until a better job comes along such as being a server, barista, bartender, retail clerk etc? I know the holiday season is around the corner and a lot of call centers and retail stores will be hiring temp help. It is better than nothing and could buy you some time for a bit. It sounds like anything would be better than going home.
  • Tonilynn70
    Tonilynn70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can understand completely. I was out of work for 2 years and had to move back home (@39). I have a degree in accounting and am working in a call center not making enough money to pay my bills.

Everyday I look for another job, but nothing. I still get up every morning and I work out...bc it gets my stress out and my mind off things for a while.

It will get better, I promise, just keep a positive attitude. YOU are young, smart and obviously driven... who would NOT want you working for them?

Keep smiling!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Some times things are temporary your parent can't force you to move back and I'm sorry you and your parents dont get along its sad. You can go to food banks check with your human resource center they can assist you You can also go back into the place that has hired the person ask for management and let them know you are available in case their new hired doesn't work out. Best Wishes
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    Sometimes things can get really bad before they get better!!! I hope things turn around for u soon!!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I understand this, all to well. My only real suggestion, and its probably not one you want to hear, but it's time to apply to restaurants/retail positions. It'll provide income and will leave time to apply/interview for other jobs, you can even work two of them at a time. I'm really sorry that *kitten* sucks for you right now.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You can try taking civil service tests.
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 20 and having the same difficulty. She recently moved back home because she can't find work. My husband has been out of work since Feb. Fortunately he can draw unemployment but times are tough. Remember, it probably isn't you. Our economy is in real trouble and people who have been working at jobs for 30 years are getting laid off. I'm sure you've heard that before but I'll be just one more person to back it up. Families all over the country are joining forces and moving in together. It's the only way for a lot of them to get by right now. Sucks but true.

Hang in there. I know how awful it is to move back in with your folks. I had to do it when i got divorced and I was packing a 5 year old along with me. Maybe it will take some of the pressure off and you can find something to work at that will get you a little money in the bank and start over.

Please don't think I'm trying to be preachy. Your situation just reminded me so much of my daughter, I had to reply.
  • MarandaPanda86
    Options
    I graduated and couldn't find a job for about 5 months. I even got my K-6 teaching certificate to try and broaden my horizons and try to get into the school system as a substitute teacher. No dice. I eventually had to take a $9 an hour just to get SOMETHING. I got a 3 dollar raise within 2 months, but that's still not enough. Now, I'm back in school to become a nurse. It's a sucky time to be a grad :( I also tried to get civil service jobs and took those tests... Nothing.