plate only challenge.....

Options
I am a sahm of 3...although two are in school...regardless, i munch on food as i prepare.....lunch or dinner.....weekends snacking periodically..."just a bite to get me through"....handFULL of crackers while i cook dinner.... I work out hard and can actually tolerate SOME of that.

But...my challenge to myself is next week...monday-friday...to eat food only off of plate, prepared and proportioned appropriately.

Would love someone to join me!

Replies

• ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am a sahm of 3...although two are in school...regardless, i munch on food as i prepare.....lunch or dinner.....weekends snacking periodically..."just a bite to get me through"....handFULL of crackers while i cook dinner.... I work out hard and can actually tolerate SOME of that.

But...my challenge to myself is next week...monday-friday...to eat food only off of plate, prepared and proportioned appropriately.

Would love someone to join me!
  • jennib06
    jennib06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This sounds like an awesome challenge! And a well thought out one....deffinately something that I need to work on myself. I will join!!! :)
  • nicolet04
    nicolet04 Posts: 830
    Options
    im in!!! i have 2 little ones and i find myself doing the same!! GREAT challenge!!!!:drinker:
  • suprjewels
    Options
    I'm in. Just last night I wash munching from a bag. I need to stop that!!!
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Does that include planned snacks too?....portioned
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Excellent point

years ago when I joined Weight Watchers a leader there called this BLT's meaning bites, licks and tastes. amazing how quickly the calories add up just by that and often this is kind of mindless eating - at least in my case where you are snacking while cooking or cleaning up your kids plates - or ice cream cones!

Cheers

Heather
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Oh I am totally in on this. I have the same snacking problem. Even though I do log them in and stay within my calories, I still do it and cringe when I do it.
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    I had an incident at Costco yesterday. The samples were just sitting there...FREE for the taking! I couldn't help it, I tried 3. :blushing:
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    That is a great challenge! I've been doing this and it's amazing how much I used to eat without thinking about it!
  • LifeChanges42
    Options
    I have been doing really good on this challenge today. I put all the snacky stuff out of sight (otherwise, I actually put them away in the cupboards and only took them out at planned times. I am just getting ready to make supper and it has raw meat involved so I won't be chomping on that. LOL.

During the time I like to snack I put 3 oz of cut lettuce into a bowl and ate a piece of that here and there. I hope it still counts. I had it in a bowl, measured out... It was supposed to be part of my lunch but I ate it as I was making the kids their lunches and making my own.... I didn't even try a bite of their food. Not even the new "honey soy-butter" (peanut butter replacement). Both of my little ones are allergic to peanuts. The boy is deathly allergic, the girl is currently working towards a food challenge at the hospital. She is going in for blood tests to test the histamine reaction right now. They will test her again in a month or so to see if it is the same or better. Sadly she is mildly allergic to soy so she didn't get the same kind of sandwich at lunchtime. The little guy loved it though.....
    .....WOW I got way off base. Sorry.

Anyway, everything was plated but not necessarily at the table.
    Wanda
  • wannabeeskinny
    Options
    ill join in too
    i had a bad habit of"fridge eating"
    ya know,,,grab a string cheese here
    something else there
    before long it all showed up on my boddy,,,lol
  • LifeChanges42
    Options
    Nice to see you here wannabeeskinny! Here's to controlling our grazing :drinker:
  • robsgal
    robsgal Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I never thought Cheerios could be so fattening, but I swear I'm grabing handfuls left & right, finishing my daughers grilled cheese, having a square or three of her graham crackers and taking bites of her mac & cheese, to see if it's hot of course :wink:

It's amazing how those calories add up and I'm supposed to be avoiding this stuff on my plan. i've been trying to to track them, I workout hard as well, but I really shouldn't be eating her food, it will last longer if I keep my paws out of it and like I said, it's not on my menu.

I'm in!

Yikes on you kids with the peanut allergies, that scares me so much. Everyone seems to think i'm a food freak when it comes to making my daughter avoid foods like nuts, peanut butter and plain eggs but since my daughter is adopted I just want to make sure there is not a family history of food allergy we wern't told about, (not that there always is a history). So far she can eat everything but i'm listening to her doctors recommendations and not everyone elses comments, just to be on the safe side.
  • LifeChanges42
    Options
    I never thought Cheerios could be so fattening, but I swear I'm grabing handfuls left & right, finishing my daughers grilled cheese, having a square or three of her graham crackers and taking bites of her mac & cheese, to see if it's hot of course :wink:

It's amazing how those calories add up and I'm supposed to be avoiding this stuff on my plan. i've been trying to to track them, I workout hard as well, but I really shouldn't be eating her food, it will last longer if I keep my paws out of it and like I said, it's not on my menu.

I'm in!

Yikes on you kids with the peanut allergies, that scares me so much. Everyone seems to think i'm a food freak when it comes to making my daughter avoid foods like nuts, peanut butter and plain eggs but since my daughter is adopted I just want to make sure there is not a family history of food allergy we wern't told about, (not that there always is a history). So far she can eat everything but i'm listening to her doctors recommendations and not everyone elses comments, just to be on the safe side.
    :flowerforyou:
    Good for you for listening to the doctor.
    I know the doctor told us (after the fact) that kids that have eczema tend to run the strongest risk of food allergies. Also, the doc told us the Allergies, Asthma and Eczema are all on the same gene and if you have that gene, you could have anywhere from 1 to all 3 of the aliments and they could be very mild to very severe. (allergies can be hay fever to pet dander to food allergies or all of the above)
    Just FYI, but definitely talk to your doctor for more clarification. It is all stuff I wish I would have known before I found out the hard way.
    Here's to you for joining the thread:drinker: :happy:
    Also, when it comes to children's food. I had teach myself it is ok to throw it away or put it in a container and give it to them again later.... like today at lunch my daughter only ate 1/4 of her grilled cheese and I put the rest in a baggie and gave it to her after her nap.
  • LifeChanges42
    Options
    I am keeping up with the plate challenge.

I have only been eating when something is plated or in a bowl... I haven't even tested what I have been cooking... no cookies or crackers either.
  • LifeChanges42
    Options
    Well, I goofed today.......... While giving my kids snack, I was eating it as I was preparing it. So I have to start over...
  • suprjewels
    Options
    I've been doing pretty good with this challenge. My son has decided to have lunchables for lunch. That makes it easier. Can't munch on a sealed container. I just need to stop sipping my daughters juice!:blushing:
  • LifeChanges42
    Options
    I am still having trouble with this challenge. I decided to bump it to try to get more people to start or come back.
    I already caught myself taking a fruit snack out of the bag, having a cookie from their snack pack..... etc.
    That was just today.

I was doing well when I put several baby carrots into a bowl and putting on the counter. I counted that as being "plated". It kept me away from the c r a p. I have a bowl of fruit on the counter, but fruit is so high calorie.... Uggghhh

Please join me. Maybe we can help eachother out.