Always tired after eating

Hi All,
I can't seem to stay awake after I eat. I'm not eating alot but I'm not sure if it's from the things I'm eating or the fact that I'm just tired at a certain time of the day. I have been dealing with this for awhile now and I'm using this site to help me keep notes. I'm tracking each day's food intake and making a note about when my sleepiness comes on and am going to use this to ask my physician what the reason could be. If there's anyone else out there that has the same problem ... have you figured out what it was from, is it still happening, help!

Replies

• Hi All,
    I can't seem to stay awake after I eat. I'm not eating alot but I'm not sure if it's from the things I'm eating or the fact that I'm just tired at a certain time of the day. I have been dealing with this for awhile now and I'm using this site to help me keep notes. I'm tracking each day's food intake and making a note about when my sleepiness comes on and am going to use this to ask my physician what the reason could be. If there's anyone else out there that has the same problem ... have you figured out what it was from, is it still happening, help!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    I usually feel sleepy after I eat do, some days more than others. I think its the carbs that make you sleepy like after you eat Thanksgiving dinner? I know that any type of Chinese food will do it to me too. With that being said, I had Chinese for lunch so it's almost time for a nap hah :yawn:
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    I have the same problem....
    My dietitian told me I had to change when I ate my carbs and exercise more regularly. She suggested to trick my body into a new routine I should exercise the moment I start feeling tired. If I can get in 40 minutes or more she said it is ok to nap if I am still tired. At least I have my metabolism kick up and running.

They also said it could be linked to depression.
  • I would love to be able to exercise when I feel tired but I work a 40 hr a week job and can't quite exercise instead of work. I've been keeping track of my carbs and am usually always under the suggested amount. My sugar on the other hand isn't. It's mainly from fruit. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. I am even trying to keep myself awake while I'm typing this!
  • I found this to be true for me as well, especially after lunch. I found that my blood sugar was low and when I would eat I would crash. I started eatting small meals about every 3 hours eat something. I have an apple or banana, then a few hours later, eat a 1/2 peanut butter and apple butter sandwich, then have something lite for lunch, plus I eat my raw veggies and fruit first. That seemed to help for me, and sometimes I will have a cup of coffee or glass of tea. Hope this helps!
  • I am usually pretty good with all of that as well. I get up at 5:30am, eat a smaller breakfast around 6:30. By 10 I have a snack - yogurt, fruit or special k bar. Noon is lunch and I usually bring a weight watcher's type of meal. Then I have a snack again at 2:30 - 3pm (usually the other of the fruit or yogurt that I'd brought. Dinner at 5pm and then I'm usually done eating for the day. I had check my blood sugar before and it wasn't anything to worry about. Maybe I'm just plain tired! I am a fulltime student as well. Who knows. Thanks for the responses though. I will keep tracking what I eat and make sure I keep up with my fruits and veggies. I probably need more veggies.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Any reason why you're not eating from 5pm until 6:30am?
    Are you monitoring your fat and protein goals? Between the yogurt, special K bars, and fruit, that's quite a lot of sugar. Milk and fruit sugars aren't as bad as table sugar, but unless you're just eating plain yogurt you're getting corn syrup/sugar in the yogurt as well as the special K bars. While some fruits are low GI, others are higher and can still increase your blood sugar if you're just eating them with something else that's low in fat and protein. It sounds like, between the 13 hour fast and the sugar you're eating, you're just doing a number on your blood sugar and it's causing high's and low's that are leaving you feeling tired.
  • vouzeme
    vouzeme Posts: 10 Member
    I used to have the same problem; but it's the oposite now that I'm following Atkins.
    The first two weeks; were super hard, but one I kicked into phase two; I feel like I should run or go hug the world. But the minute I overeat on (processed) carbs, I'm back to Thanksgiving feeling...
  • After 5pm I just don't eat. I might have a snack around 7 or 8 but not usually. I am staying well within my fat and usually over my protein. I have noticed that I seem to have alot of sugars but I'm having difficulty getting those down. What are some suggestions? I will be making a grocery trip tomorrow and would like to get some good snacks. I thought the Yoplait Lite fat free yogurt was good but it must have too many sugars for me. I usually eat Gala apples as my fruit (or possibly grapes if they are in the store and inexpensive). I like carrots and celery for snacks as well. I am really trying to stay away from breads because I know they are high in sugars as well as carbs. I need to talk to a dietician or something! Argh! I am just so tired all the time!
  • Vouzeme, I am that way with fatty foods. I have a real sensitivity to fat I suppose. I am not tired from eating it but sick to my stomach afterwards. And I can't eat chocolate or I will definately fall right to sleep. Even my husband will comment on that one!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Vouzeme, I am that way with fatty foods. I have a real sensitivity to fat I suppose. I am not tired from eating it but sick to my stomach afterwards. And I can't eat chocolate or I will definately fall right to sleep. Even my husband will comment on that one!

If you have severe issues with fat, I would suggest having your gall bladder checked out. If you have a problem with bile storage, it can be harder to digest fats.

The reason I mentioned fats was not to see if you stay 'within' them, but to see if you're eating enough, as they will help stabilize your blood sugar.

Often, 'fat free' products have twice the sugar to compensate for the taste. Opt for plain yogurt and add splenda. Greek yogurt is higher in protein and has no added sugar--Fage is one of my favorites. Or choose something like string cheese or cottage cheese, which don't have added sugar either.

Whole grain breads are high in fiber, and higher in protein than fruit. Some have added sugar, but there are plenty of varieties that have very little or no sugar. Plus, you can put meat or peanut butter with bread to make a complete meal which will supply more nutrients and spike blood sugar much less than a snack that includes just a piece of fruit.
  • Wow! You are really helpful. I've had intestinal problems in the past but I can't remember if they check the gal bladder. I'll have to remember that. I'm afraid I take after my mom in that aspect. She's had part of her intestines removed due to diverticulitis. Anyway, thanks so much for all your help. I will check out the Greek yogurt and I love whole grain breads so I'll def. check those out.:smile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    mmmmm... greek yogurt! I just tried some the other day, it was sooo yummy! I don't think I'll ever go back to the other stuff. Of course, I may not eat it as often either, because it's 4 times as expensive... lol
  • I usually shop at WallyWorld. Do they have it or do you know?
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    I would love to be able to exercise when I feel tired but I work a 40 hr a week job and can't quite exercise instead of work. I've been keeping track of my carbs and am usually always under the suggested amount. My sugar on the other hand isn't. It's mainly from fruit. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. I am even trying to keep myself awake while I'm typing this!

When you feel tired, walk to the copier or the water cooler or to the bathroom to put some cold water on the back of your neck and on your face. The colder the better.
  • Vouzeme, I am that way with fatty foods. I have a real sensitivity to fat I suppose. I am not tired from eating it but sick to my stomach afterwards. And I can't eat chocolate or I will definately fall right to sleep. Even my husband will comment on that one!

If you have severe issues with fat, I would suggest having your gall bladder checked out. If you have a problem with bile storage, it can be harder to digest fats.

Ah, you beat me to it! I've seen this situation come up with a friend of mine, and drastically reducing her fat has really helped manage her symptoms.

Another thing to check are your hormone levels in general. I'm not sure of the connection, but my sister has high prolactin levels and gets dizzy after she eats. Maybe it could also cause drowsiness?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Wow! You are really helpful. I've had intestinal problems in the past but I can't remember if they check the gal bladder. I'll have to remember that. I'm afraid I take after my mom in that aspect. She's had part of her intestines removed due to diverticulitis. Anyway, thanks so much for all your help. I will check out the Greek yogurt and I love whole grain breads so I'll def. check those out.:smile:

No problem! I too have intestinal problems that I'm on some expensive medication for (ugh) and always take note of my 'triggers', which include soft dairy products and refined sugar. I can definitely understand your aversion because of the discomfort! Your liver and gall bladder are both used in bile storage/production, so both would be good to monitor. :flowerforyou:

Most places do have Fage, but it's actually cheaper at health food stores usually. Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area? Theirs is super cheap. It's really amazing with just a little honey.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I've not looked at Wal-Mart. I just buy it from the health food section in my grocery store. They didn't have low fat there though... I might check our local food co-op and see what they have.
  • I've not looked at Wal-Mart. I just buy it from the health food section in my grocery store. They didn't have low fat there though... I might check our local food co-op and see what they have.

I looked at Walmart when I went over the weekend. They don't have it so I got lowfat cottage cheese instead and more carrots. I will check our local health food store because I really like yogurt and would rather have that than cottage cheese.