Shakeology??

Options
Does anyone know what shakeology is? is it healthy or is it just another weight loss gimmick for someone to make alot of money from those wanting a quick fix? how much does it cost?

Replies

• SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Very expensive gimmick. Eat some carbs, have a protein shake, and take your vitamins.
  • andyloosbrock
    andyloosbrock Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have one a day. The jury is still out, re gimmick v legit.
  • SarahNicole317
    Options
    Oh... it's also a 'Multi-level Marketing' Company... aka Pyramid Scheme.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    It's extremely expensive, but it seems pretty nutrionally sound. Personally I dont think its worth the price. The green berry is really gross so if you do buy it get the chocolate flavour.

(edited because "hella" is a dumb a** word)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what shakeology is? is it healthy or is it just another weight loss gimmick for someone to make alot of money from those wanting a quick fix? how much does it cost?

not even a gimmick to lose weight it's a protein shake with a few extras added in, however no way do the add ins justify the price
  • freshstart4me
    Options
    Oh... it's also a 'Multi-level Marketing' Company... aka Pyramid Scheme.

this...

and hella is a dumb *kitten* word. dont ever use it.
  • SarahNicole317
    Options

not even a gimmick to lose weight it's a protein shake with a few extras added in, however no way do the add ins justify the price

Is it even considered a protein shake? I think the carb content is higher than protein. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • cfrancy19
    Options
    I love shakeology but whether it's a gimmick I'm not sure. I love the chocolate flavor and it's less calories than other shakes out there. 150 calories per scoop. They are coming out with a tropical flavor this fall which I hear is supposed to be pretty delicious. I don't take vitamins or eat a lot of vegetables so this kind of evens it all out for me and gives me the sweets that I desire all the time. Lots of yummy recipes to try. I tend to do 1/2 to 3/4 scoop for each shake b/c one full scoop is too much for me. It ends up lasting me about 40 days which equals out to about a $1 a day.
  • ahalla
    ahalla Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It is a little pricey, the cost is $90 if you are a "Beach Body Coach" or $120 if you purchase from a coach...anyone can be a coach for $15 a month so be a coach a reap the rewards. I did the chocolate shake last year afer I had by daughter and I literally craved it at times. It was very good and since I was busy with a new born it was simple for me where I could stay on track. I have drank a few protein shakes and honestly Shakeology is the only one that keeps me full...just a tip if you decide to buy it mix it with more than a cup of milk (I did 2 cups vanilla soy and it was terrific). Hope it helps
  • Acg67
    Options

Is it even considered a protein shake? I think the carb content is higher than protein. Correct me if I'm wrong.

i believe it has 18g of pro and not sure on the cho content. but they underdose all their add ins and use inferior forms of vitamins for their vitamin add ins. And for the price you'd think they might use a blend or micellar casein instead of whey concentrate i believe
  • SarahNicole317
    Options
    I know a girl that just began pushing it on Facebook... it's a 30 days supply... 1 shake per day at $120/month... whaaaaat???

I can get 4 lbs of bananas for $1.20 and a 30 days supply of Optimum Nutrition protein powder for a grand total of $31.20/month.
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I drink it everyday! I don't think it is a Gimmick, I lost 5lbs the first week and have lost 2 pounds a week the following 3 weeks after I started and I have not gained any back. There are 70 vitimans and minerals in it, I feel really good and yes it is expensive but I was spending $80 a month on protein shakes plus all my vitamins this comes out a little cheaper. And there are ways you can get it cheaper. Everybody is different. I drink a shake in the morning then some fruit a couple hours later then a healthy lunch another snack fruit or veg then a healthy dinner. It keeps me satisfied.
    I have only been drinking it for 2 months they say after 3 months you should really feel a difference.
    Good Luck on your decision.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I know a girl that just began pushing it on Facebook... it's a 30 days supply... 1 shake per day at $120/month... whaaaaat???

I can get 4 lbs of bananas for $1.20 and a 30 days supply of Optimum Nutrition protein powder for a grand total of $31.20/month.

you could get a 10lber and it'd be even cheaper and have higher pro % per scoop
  • SarahNicole317
    Options

i believe it has 18g of pro and not sure on the cho content. but they underdose all their add ins and use inferior forms of vitamins for their vitamin add ins. And for the price you'd think they might use a blend or micellar casein instead of whey concentrate i believe

Thanks for the clarification. I've tried looking it up, but it seems that you must have to sign up for the site to get detailed information on it.
  • Acg67
    Options
    I drink it everyday! I don't think it is a Gimmick, I lost 5lbs the first week and have lost 2 pounds a week the following 3 weeks after I started and I have not gained any back. There are 70 vitimans and minerals in it, I feel really good and yes it is expensive but I was spending $80 a month on protein shakes plus all my vitamins this comes out a little cheaper. And there are ways you can get it cheaper. Everybody is different. I drink a shake in the morning then some fruit a couple hours later then a healthy lunch another snack fruit or veg then a healthy dinner. It keeps me satisfied.
    I have only been drinking it for 2 months they say after 3 months you should really feel a difference.

you lost weight due to a caloric deficit, not the shakes and the most expensive vitamin in it (B12) they use the cheapest form which has low absorption rates
  • freshstart4me
    Options

you gonna drink this for the rest of your life??? good luck on your weight loss
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It's mostly a gimmick. It's not necessarily unhealthy, but you're better off eating real food. If protein is what you need, there are plenty of different kinds of protein powders out there. It's also overpriced. I think my protein powder is expensive, but three bags of it is about the cost of one bag of shakeology.

The research study that has been conducted on shakeology doesn't really prove anything. They took a group of people, put them on a diet and exercise plan that included shakeology as a replacement for one meal per day, and the people lost weight. But what they didn't do was compare that group of people to a group of people who were only the diet and exercise plan without the shakeology, so we can't conclude that shakeology actually did anything to help these people lose weight. At least, no more than people who simply keep their money in their wallets and follow a reasonable diet and exercise plan.

:flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Options
    Macros are:

150kcal
    1/17/18 F/C/P
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Like anything it's going to take more then just drinking Shakeology to make you lose weight. But IMO it taste great, its a quick and easy meal replacement and at only $4 a glass. I don't find it that expensive. Hell if you go to Mcdonalds or any other fast food joint, you will spend at least 5 bucks!
  • Acg67
    Options
    Like anything it's going to take more then just drinking Shakeology to make you lose weight. But IMO it taste great, its a quick and easy meal replacement and at only $4 a glass. I don't find it that expensive. Hell if you go to Mcdonalds or any other fast food joint, you will spend at least 5 bucks!

not really an apples to apples comparison to whole foods (even fast foods) the more apt comparison is to a protein powder since it's a glorified protein powder, and it is ridiculously expensive for the profile it provides compared to other protein powders, you could even add in a multi and greens formula and come out to less then $4 a serving and have a better profile