New to this site, and very hopeful. :]

Options
Hello. :flowerforyou: My name is Sami. I am 20 years old, and I am in need of a change. I made this account probably around a year ago, but never used it. I'm so fed up with not being able to wear the clothes I love, and being uncomfortable in anything but huge shirts & hoodies to hide my stomach. I've always been a chubby girl, and I'm fine with not being a twig. But.. I just want to be healthy again. Right now, I weigh around 220 pounds, give or take due to the fact it's 11 at night and I just drank juice & ate, etc. I wear a size 16/17 pant, but they are very tight, I probably should be wearing an 18. My absolute dream weight would be around 130-140, but realistically.. I would be okay with 150-160. I want to be realistic, and hopefully I can reach my goals. I've struggled with different diets, most of which failed. I've recently tried the Rice Diet, after reading the book, but I found that I could not complete it because of the rules, and my extremely limited budget. Alas, it still helped me in the sense that I know very well now that labels are VERY important, and sodium is obnoxiously present in processed foods. I thought maybe, I can try to implement parts of the book into my new lifestyle, and hopefully I will not fail if I alter it to fit my needs. I'm still in need of good ideas for exercising. I like to be alone when I exercise, mainly because of my horrible body, so.. I don't think joining a gym would be helpful. I plan on walking an hour every day, and from there, I'm a little stumped. Does anyone have any suggestions for exercises that are effective but not expensive? Other than that, all I ask for is support. I don't have much contact with my friends around here, and I really think I need someone to help keep me accountable for the choices I make here. I'd love to have a few friends I could even exchange AIM screen names with, just for quick & easy contact. But, that is not something I demand of course. :tongue: I think the hardest part for me, is my housemates. Almost every person in this house drinks loads of soda, eats fast food, and doesn't watch their weight whatsoever. And, I know I can't let them effect me, but it's very hard for me to eat healthy when my housemates are gorging on pizza & pepsi in front of me. Does anyone have any suggestions in dealing with this kind of situation? Hopefully, not just "suck it up", although I fear that might be the only solution. Anyway, sorry for the rambling. Thanks guys! :blushing:

Replies

• Musicgrl4life
    Options
    hey :)

I feel exactly the same way! My goal weight is 136. I've been on weight watchers. And just off and on that and counting calories. Now, I'm counting calories, but working my way towards a lifestyle change. It's getting easier,slowly. Greasy, unhealthy stuff doesn't sound as appealing as it used to.

Oh, and I don't know if you can afford it or not, but if you can, look into the wii fit, I thought it sounded dumb at first. lol. Actually, it's really great and makes exercising more fun.

I'm also around others that aren't watching what they eat. It's more difficult. But, it's nice to have this site as motivation.
    I also have an AIM sn, if you want you can message me for it.

good luck to you!
  • chloeelebeir
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new to this site as well, new meaning I'm back lol. I've dealt with your situation with roommates as well! I find that what helps for me is to try and not eat with them, or be around them when they are eating. Also I place all my food in one cupboard so I don't have to open there's to see what food they have. Of course I'm not perfect and I slip all the time, BUT we can work on it together! Feel free to add me :)
  • SarahBear9708
    Options
    Hello there!

My name is Sarah and I'm 22 years old. I understand how you feel. I am quite overweight at the moment, mostly because of medications and because I have a chronic illness, Fibromyalgia. I also am on a VERY limited budget, so I understand that hurdle as well. I have tried a few different weight loss plans, with very little success, until I found this site. And it's been working!

My fiance eats whatever he wants, whenever he wants, so I understand being around that as well. Sometimes I get so jealous!

I'd love to exchange aim screennames as well, I always love making new friends! You can message me and I'll give it to you. Or, if you want, request me as a friend on here, and in the message part tell me you'd like it, and I can message it to you. Whatever is easiest for you!

Good luck with your journey, I know you can do it!
  • samihainsworth
    Options
  • samihainsworth
    Options
    Hello there!

My name is Sarah and I'm 22 years old. I understand how you feel. I am quite overweight at the moment, mostly because of medications and because I have a chronic illness, Fibromyalgia. I also am on a VERY limited budget, so I understand that hurdle as well. I have tried a few different weight loss plans, with very little success, until I found this site. And it's been working!

My fiance eats whatever he wants, whenever he wants, so I understand being around that as well. Sometimes I get so jealous!

I'd love to exchange aim screennames as well, I always love making new friends! You can message me and I'll give it to you. Or, if you want, request me as a friend on here, and in the message part tell me you'd like it, and I can message it to you. Whatever is easiest for you!

Good luck with your journey, I know you can do it!

Thank you so much. I'm glad it's been working for you, and that gives me a little hope that i can have the same success. :)
  • samihainsworth
    Options
    hey :)

I feel exactly the same way! My goal weight is 136. I've been on weight watchers. And just off and on that and counting calories. Now, I'm counting calories, but working my way towards a lifestyle change. It's getting easier,slowly. Greasy, unhealthy stuff doesn't sound as appealing as it used to.

Oh, and I don't know if you can afford it or not, but if you can, look into the wii fit, I thought it sounded dumb at first. lol. Actually, it's really great and makes exercising more fun.

I'm also around others that aren't watching what they eat. It's more difficult. But, it's nice to have this site as motivation.
    I also have an AIM sn, if you want you can message me for it.

good luck to you!

That's a good idea, my friends have suggesting the wii fit. I'd love to have a fun way to exercise because treadmills get so boring. :[ You are right though, I used to like fast food, but now mcdonalds and burger king are gross to me lol. How did you like weight watchers?
  • amaodonnell
    amaodonnell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna send you a friend request! I am a younger person that is around the same weight as you with the same goal in mind. I turn 23 at the beginning of the month and I have no issue exchanging AIM screen names and helping each other along. The more the merrier!!

This site has helped me a lot. I have to keep an eye on my help and this place helps me keep things in check!

Hope it helps you too!! Let it become a lifestyle, not just a diet.
  • samihainsworth
    Options
    I'm gonna send you a friend request! I am a younger person that is around the same weight as you with the same goal in mind. I turn 23 at the beginning of the month and I have no issue exchanging AIM screen names and helping each other along. The more the merrier!!

This site has helped me a lot. I have to keep an eye on my help and this place helps me keep things in check!

Hope it helps you too!! Let it become a lifestyle, not just a diet.

Okay :) That sounds good. Yeah, I figured more friends means more accountability. right now, the only person I have is my boyfriend, and he won't be like "HEY whyd you eat that much today!" so I need a little tough love lol.
  • VemmaMom
    VemmaMom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    eye eye eye yes you are kind of tuck in the middle there with room mates eating lots of junk. But do know that most of the time its not what you eat its how much you eat. So instead of depriving and feeling the need to eat a piece of pizza...just eat one piece! After you start to eat much better your body gets you to not eating the junk and you also realize that if you eat it then you will pay for it later!
    I keep doing this to myself> i say well I want it so Im gonna eat it and then when I punch it in and see that I got alot of fat from it I m mad and wont do it again...:)
    You can do it!!! You ll have tons of support her on MFP
  • amaodonnell
    amaodonnell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Also, I know how you feel about people eating whatever they want around you. My husband is 155, so to see him not even needing to keep anything in check. Its hard!
  • Musicgrl4life
    Options
    treadmills are boring :\ but, with wii fit, it makes you actually look forward to exercising. :)

And with weight watchers, I just got the kit with the books that tell you the amount of points foods/drinks are worth. had one for takeout/ fast food, and for just normal things you can get at the grocery store. But, I did really like it. It was a while ago when I was on it. It's changed some since then, like fruits don't count as any points. I never went to any place where you would get checked up on, and see about your progress. I was doing it by myself.
    I definitely would recommend it. Keep the motivation up & it's easier. You also don't feel like you're starving constantly.
  • cynthiajeanCJ
    Options
    HI Cynthia here!! I feel for you.. I am 55 but my son had 6 roomies!! He has food allergies!! YOU may NEED too move... Is that possible?? OR Just buy and eat YOUR FOOD!!! My son had to HIDE his food people ate it!! Drank his water... That is a tough one I hope you find a solution does anyone else need too lose weight/A BUDDY?? Someone too support you?? A friend relative teacher/pastor anyne you REALLY TRUST?? ..Ate /made/ random food. WALKING is great!! Also do floor exercise/ go to a park use BARS that kids swing on.. swings are fun... lift weights use cans/anything easy to grip! YOU are young GET IT OFF KEEP IT OFF NOW!!! Since you do not know me and vise/versa Write a journel/all angers resentments ABUSE.. LET it out let it go.. This side of weight people do NOT talk about HUGE FACTOR.. STUFF FEELINGS.. losing will bring this out!! ALSO H.A.L.T. helps H=hungry (eat don't starve) A=angry (place anger where it belongs) L=LONLEY ( we all need too face this) T=tired ( rest .. take care of yourself). Hang in read BLOGS POSTS LOOK for friends reach out BLESSINGS Cynthia:heart:
  • samihainsworth
    Options
    Thanks for all the support guys. You are all very helpful. :D