Brainstorming women needed! Help with style during weight lo

Options
Okay ladies, need a few creative minds to help out. Have shed over 100 lbs and I'm caught between sizes on my transition to the healthiest me. Anyone else doing Kettlebells or NROLFW know what I'm talking about?

HW: 352, >Size 26/28, Men's 60"X30" jeans got too small, couldn't fit in women's clothing.

CW: 248, Size 16/18, curves finally too 'girlish' to fit men's jeans. Closest to 42"X30" in Levi's 550's, but they're too big in the legs.

GW: 185, Size? Who knows??? <20% body fat would rock.

I'm female, a single mom trying to avoid looking frumpy. Shooting for a female version of Cary Grant's, 'simple elegance'. Don't *ever* wear skirts/dresses. How can I get clothes to compliment my figure, all the beautiful new muscles I've built and still not live in only lycra/spandex-y athletic clothing.

Height: 5'7.5"

Fitting challenges for new wardrobe:

Bust: 40DDDD
Waist: 43"
Hips: 48"

Replies

• SCCM1986
    Options
    Lane Bryant carries a large variety of great clothing and amazing bras! I am a size 18/20 they are amazingly easy to locate within the store! Also, fashion bug is also great! They carry larger sizes, I am a size 40d and I can even find button down shirts that fit great! Good luck and good job!
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I love the look of really short mini dresses over leggings. Too Girly? Maybe Bigshirts over jeans, or worn as a jacket over a tank with jeans or slacks. Big Tees are great with capris and they show off your sexy shoes and new pedicure.
    Is this what you are looking for or did I miss the point?
    Also you can access woman within via internet and find lots of cool stuff.
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I was size 18......I would go to Macys and get either Tommy Hillfiger jeans plus sizes....or I love the Stlye and Co clothes! The style and Co had YOUNGER looking clothes. Nice things I could wear out or to wear to work. Check it out. Best of luck!!!!! : )
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant is an excellent idea! Let them help you pick something you normally wouldn't wear. There is a new you emerging! Dress her up and enjoy!
  • alapoint89
    Options
    u could do ross stores womens world section they have tones of stuff that should fit
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I like CJ Banks, Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug and Dress Barn.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant is an excellent idea! Let them help you pick something you normally wouldn't wear. There is a new you emerging! Dress her up and enjoy!

I love this advice!

We have a store here called Dress Barn that carries women's sizes. Obviously by the name they carry a lot of dresses but they also carry slacks and casual things.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug and Target all have multiple fits of the same type pant. LB and FB both use shapes, Target uses numbers (fit 1, 2 etc...) this is EXTRODINARILY helpful as your shape changes. Also I always loved Avenue for my business clothes. Oooo! ANNNND Torid! They have fab trendy plus size clothes.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Avenue and Lane Bryant lack anything accept really lacy/floral dress clothes (I'm Butch, not Femme) or way-too-casual clothes when I've shopped there. In general, neither plus sized nor athletic clothes are built for my 40DDDD chest or the difference between my quads, abs and overall size.

If I was a guy, I'd wear Italian designer suits in an athletic, tailored cut.

As a woman, clothing doesn't seem to be made for high powered, professional women rippling with muscles who are still overweight.
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    When I was size 18......I would go to Macys and get either Tommy Hillfiger jeans plus sizes....or I love the Stlye and Co clothes! The style and Co had YOUNGER looking clothes. Nice things I could wear out or to wear to work. Check it out. Best of luck!!!!! : )

Never shopped at Macy's but we have one in Seattle. Haven't worn Tommy Hilfigger before either, thanks.
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Try Torrid!! Silver Jeans and they have many blazes and nice shirts
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Avenue and Lane Bryant lack anything accept really lacy/floral dress clothes (I'm Butch, not Femme) or way-too-casual clothes when I've shopped there. In general, neither plus sized nor athletic clothes are built for my 40DDDD chest or the difference between my quads, abs and overall size.

If I was a guy, I'd wear Italian designer suits in an athletic, tailored cut.

As a woman, clothing doesn't seem to be made for high powered, professional women rippling with muscles who are still overweight.

I beg to differ about Avenue and Lane Bryant. You can get great slacks (that aren't painfully girly) and both have always carried a great selection of button down business shirts and sweaters. I have procured good blazers at Catherines but they carry a boat load of frilly granny stuff. You just have to get past it and find the good stuff. Torid is mostly trendy stuff that wouldn't necessarily be up your alley. Give Lane Bryant a chance- have you looked at their online selection?
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug and Target all have multiple fits of the same type pant. LB and FB both use shapes, Target uses numbers (fit 1, 2 etc...) this is EXTRODINARILY helpful as your shape changes. Also I always loved Avenue for my business clothes. Oooo! ANNNND Torid! They have fab trendy plus size clothes.

I will give LB another try, maybe in an upscale shopping area they'll have a better suit jacket/pant combo that would be less sporty, more business-y. FB, I've heard of, need to find out if their is one out here, Target must be around here but I haven't seen them in my neck of the woods. Torrid? Will Google.
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're least willing to pay more for you clothes, Nordstrom has personal shopping which is entirely free and a wonderful resource. I believe you can either do a phone consult upfront or meet with a personal shopper ahead of time to discuss your body, your style, your budget, etc. Then, when you come in to shop they've already pulled multiple items that they think will work and if those initial items don't work, you have someone who knows the entire inventory of the store helping you find additional items.

Obviously, Nordies tends to be pricier but the clothing is generally high quality. I don't think that finding the female equivalent of a beautifully tailored Italian suit would be too big a challenge at a store like Nordstrom.

Good luck!
  • LolaVaantz
    LolaVaantz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Target is pocket book friendly, old navy also pocket book friendly, lane bryant not so much financially friendly but you can get some awesome clearance, not a fan of dress barn as things are often a bit baggy and not taylored, Torrid is fabulous but extremely trendy.

Not knowing your specific body type, but knowing you are part way through your weight loss, i'd recommend you look at getting some layering peices that can also be belted well (think lovely knit dress in a classic shape with longer over sweater a cute belt, tights and boots). The belt on anything will accentuate the weight loss, show a womanly figure, but still allow for changing out items as you continue to shrink down.
    Jeans, always go for boot cut/trouser cut in women's, it helps balance out other parts of the body and helps you look longer and leaner (don't buy men's jeans!!!!!) T-shirts again with a nice sweater, or a hip length jacket that is fitted to your body will be classy, serviceable (and still inexpensive.)

I personally wear a lot of peasent type tops with sweaters (cardigans) in layers (flowey top, fitted sweater creates a nipped in waiste but is forgiving on my bumps), i'm an 18/20.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Torrid and Fashion Bug may be a little too girly for what you are looking for. Also, I have a hard time shopping at Torrid. All their jeans in my local store seem to be the skinny jeans that look horrendous on me even if I can squeeze into them. Both stores have a better selection online though including slacks.

Lany Bryant does carry decent business type stuff depending on the season (blazers and slacks). They also have the jeans cut for specific body types which I absolutely love. It is worth it to go in and get fitted at the very least. That way if they don't have what you are looking for, you can order it from their website if its on there. I wear a 14/16 at LB with many items in that size being too large but I wear an 18/20 everywhere else.

You're in luck - Fall fashions are starting to make their way out and you can always find good menswear type clothes coming out in this season.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should give LB another chance. They have their moments. Sometimes I hate em, sometimes I don't. It just depends on when I get to the store - as in fresh stock for the season or end of season picked over nastiness.

I have plenty of LB clothes that aren't floral ugliness. I'm not girly either! They do expect gals to have big tatas. That's the thing I don't like about LB - they think if you're a big girl you have a big chest, I don't. ha.

Also, when I was smaller, I would shop at Old Navy. They had all sorts of jeans cuts - like the boyfriend jean IIRC. Their pants/jeans looked awesome on me when I was around 210. Their shirts still fit me now: they go up to XXL in the store by me (some stores have plus sizes). They're affordable and I think have a decent variety of styles that you can make.

Anyway, I think you should get a good girlfriend to go with you and help you pick things out. I know I tend to have better shopping trips, both emotionally and picks, when I have a good friend with me.

:flowerforyou: And congrats on the loss!
  • Hellokittysboo
    Options
    I Would Try Torrid. I Love Their Clothes! Their Kinda High Though But I Still Shop There.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I was just in size 18 for the longest time and I am not muscular built but have a hard time finding jeans as I am very curvy ....thick legs and butt but small waist. I have had really good luck with Maurices brand jeans.....as far as shirts they have crap....floral and flowy or covered in hearts...I dont want to look pregnant or 12. I always find great shirts at Old Navy and they are really cheap! I like the fact that they have one style in several colors/ patterns so if something fits and I like it I can buy like 5 great shirts! Hope this helps you!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Fashion Bug also has some really cute plus sized things. For jean you may need to try on a few styles and see if you can find what fits you best. I'm curvy and have found that Levi's Curvy or Gap jeans (button fly) fit me best. They're roomy enough for my hips but dip in enough for my waist so I don't have a huge gap and feel like I'm going to lose them all the time. The slightly stretchy jeans are great because they hug what needs to be hugged but also have enough give that you don't feel like you're unable to move. Just remember, well fitting clothing is much more flattering that baggy oversized stuff that doesn't fit well.

ETA: Jessica London is an online retailer that has a variety of cute styles. The quality is decent and the prices aren't bad. The size table with measurements is accurate so be sure to base your sizing on that instead of 18/16.