issues at work

Options
Not really sure what to do about this (if anything).

I am having some difficulties with a work colleague. We work in a male dominated environment and, being blonde and svelte, she is accustomed to being the centre of attention. I've recently lost 10kg and because of this, I've started dressing differently. I have a lot of nice work clothes but have just started to be able to wear them again after a couple of years of being overweight. So the thing is, now that I am slimmer and curvy instead of a blob, I've been getting lots of nice comments about looking nice, etc. And since this started happening, my colleague (who I usually get along quite well with) has become a lot less friendly towards me. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm not the token fat chick anymore.

So just wondering, what would you guys do in this situation? Should I try to talk to her about it? Or just let it go? I find it all a bit awkward and sad. :(

Thanks.

Replies

• leezanicole
    Options
    Hmm, maybe she is a little jealous because now you are getting the attention. People are starting to notice you and compliment you, she probably doesn't like that too much. At the end of the day, thats not your problem. If this is why she is acting different with you, then you don't need to be around her anyways. She should be happy for you, no put off by your weight loss. Keep doing what you are doing! You can try to talk to her, but I wouldn't let it bother you too much (easier said than done).
  • chollingshed74
    chollingshed74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    she's a woman...you know how we can be..petty and jealous...clearly she's not as confident in herself as she may have thought or else her sefl esteem would not allow her to act that way...AND OR it could be that she doesn't want to share the spotlight...either way I don't see why you have to have an "intervention" with her about something you did for you and your life (lose weight/take better care of yourself) to pacify a grown woman......so, ignore her antics and kill her with kindness :)
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with a friend of mine :(
    she was so supportive and encouraging at first
    now she is more and more distant (she is a very pretty
    blonde as well !
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would address it at all. Chances are once others get used to your new look, the compliments will taper off and her ill feeings will die down.

If you do decide to broach the subject, I would keep it very general and just say "I feel like things have been tense between us lately; have I done something to upset you?" She might not fess up to the jealousy, if that's what it is, but maybe it will make her reflect on her own behavior and realize she's being silly. Or she might admit that the attention you are getting is bothering her and the two of you can discuss it civily. Also, you never know, it could be something else entirely. I certainly wouldn't accuse her of behaving coldly or of being jealous of the attention you're getting, as that could cause even more awkwardness.
  • chollingshed74
    chollingshed74 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    and oh...by the way...congrats on the weight loss sexy ;)
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say anything unless it gets worse... 1) she should get over it, and 2) it may have nothing to do with you. There could be something else in her life causing her to act weird. Because of that, if you do say somethin to her, dont make assumptions. Just say you feel like things have been off between you two, and ask if everything is okay. :)
  • radarseven
    radarseven Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. :flowerforyou: Sometimes you just need to hear some objective opinions, you know? MFP is great like that. :)

Cheers.
  • radarseven
    radarseven Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    and oh...by the way...congrats on the weight loss sexy ;)

Thanks chick. :smile: