acne from sweating/working out :(

Options
so I've noticed that in the past week, my face has completely broken out. I don't usually let a pimple or two bother me, but it's gotten pretty bad. nothing about my diet has changed, I haven't been put on any new medications or anything, it's not that time of month... the only thing that's different is I've upped my exercise a whole lot. on average, I do about 45 - 60 minutes of cardio every other day or so, and during that time I sweat a lot, which is what I think is causing the breakouts.

has anyone else experienced this? any solutions? I have really sensitive skin so a lot of moisturizers and acne creams don't really work for me, I usually get all red and puffy from them. :/

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Oh yes.

The only things that worked for me?

Making sure I take a shower and wash my face as soon as I can after I workout. AND making sure i drink enough water. I can always tell when I haven't had enough water because my face breaks out. I also have sensitive skin so I have to be careful what I use. I use Biore blemish cleanser and Clearasil.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Wash your face right after working out, even if it's just with water. In time, your body will adjust. Keep up the good work!

*cough* Mary Kay has several different skin care systems for every skin type, and even a line for sensitive skin. *cough*
  • Hellokittysboo
    Options
    I Have The Same Problem And I Try To Wash My Face as Soon As I Get Home From The Gym. They Do Have Certain Acne Creams for People Who Have Sensitive Skin So I Would Check Em Out. Also I See Some People Who Use Paper Towels To Wipe The Sweat Off Their Face I Use A Towel It's Alot Less Irritating On The Skin.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I wash my face as soon as I get home and use Neutrogena acne pads -- they don't dry my skin out and work great.
  • mww12
    mww12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you. I use Keracnyl by Ducray and it's the only one I've used in 11 years of severe acne that does the trick (combined with Dermalogica active moist and a scrub 2-3 times per week). Spectro Gel is another great one for sensitive skin, and as others pointed out, lots of water and wash your face as soon as you can after you work out.

Best of luck!
  • chchchangess
    Options
    I bring a towel with me when I go to the gym to wipe off the sweat during my workout, and I hop in the shower the minute I get home. I really hope my body's just adjusting and that it'll go away soon. I'm gonna try using PanOxyl for a few days, which is the only acne cream that's worked for me, but it's made my skin super dry before when I used it too often sooooo.. hopefully I'll be fine this time hahahah.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water and washing your face right afterwards right away. They do have those oil of olay take the day off wipes that you could maybe use right after you get off the cardio machine?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I wash my face BEFORE I work out. All the dirt, bacteria, etc is going to get rubbed into your skin if you wipe your face off at all during your workout. A rinse with tepid water afterward will help too but getting my face clean before hand is imperative for me. I only have very mild hormone related breakouts and those are very rare. I used to get breakouts when I didn't wash before hand though.
  • chchchangess
    Options
    I wash my face BEFORE I work out. All the dirt, bacteria, etc is going to get rubbed into your skin if you wipe your face off at all during your workout. A rinse with tepid water afterward will help too but getting my face clean before hand is imperative for me. I only have very mild hormone related breakouts and those are very rare. I used to get breakouts when I didn't wash before hand though.

ooh good point! I'll try to remember that next time :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    so I've noticed that in the past week, my face has completely broken out. I don't usually let a pimple or two bother me, but it's gotten pretty bad. nothing about my diet has changed, I haven't been put on any new medications or anything, it's not that time of month... the only thing that's different is I've upped my exercise a whole lot. on average, I do about 45 - 60 minutes of cardio every other day or so, and during that time I sweat a lot, which is what I think is causing the breakouts.

has anyone else experienced this? any solutions? I have really sensitive skin so a lot of moisturizers and acne creams don't really work for me, I usually get all red and puffy from them. :/
    Your hormones change when you work out. Unfortunately some people react differently to the hormone change.
  • AndrewTub
    AndrewTub Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to not wipe your face/forehead so much when exercising, I find that can irritate the skin especially if rubbed with a hard towel etc. Then shower straight after !