Makes 5 cups

•1 tablespoon coarse salt
•2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
•1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
•1/2 cup sugar
•2 large egg whites
•5 cups (20 ounces) pecans
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. In a bowl, combine salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, and sugar.
2.In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Whisk in spice mixture. Stir in pecans. Spread coated pecans in a single layer onto the baking sheets. Bake for about 15 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 250 degrees. Rotate the sheets in oven, and cook for 10 minutes more.
3.Immediately spread pecans in a single layer on clean parchment paper; let cool before serving or storing. (Pecans will keep, in an airtight container, up to 1 week at room temperature.)

Question: If using splenda in the place of sugar, will it carmelize while baking?

Replies

• janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Sounds really good. But nuts are a huge weakness for me. I have to eat them in something because if I try to just snack on them, I don't stop till they're gone. I love all types. May try this though.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Nuts are my kryptonite as well. I can practically eat a whole damn bag of pistachios if I let myself. Or a whole can of cashews.
  • Kaecklund
    Kaecklund Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Well maybe the fact that these are pretty damn spicy, that might slow you down, lol! I made these as christmas gifts and they were pretty good. Unfortunately I used wax paper instead of parchment. That was awesome... DON'T USE WAX PAPER.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Spicy makes me eat them twice as fast! Christmas is coming up. I'll have to send you my address. ;)
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yum